Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
MSPM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage Floor Epoxy

Really would like to epoxy my garage floor, anyone have any recommendations on certain product/kits? I have watched a few youtube videos, but any pointers would be appreciated.

Seems like a nice little weekend project !
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Checkout garagejournal.com. They have a flooring section with some very in depth details.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I read through the garagejournal site. I was thinking they go over the top and aim for the high end until I saw an ad for Griot's, which I use. to each their own I suppose.

the link to the stuff garagejournal used is broken but you can find it by going straight to legacyindustrial.net. it's $310 to start for the two car garage kit. they recommend primer for $110 and nonskid for $30. you can save $60 if you have the tools. I used the Rustoleum two car garage kit from Lowe's for $110. It's been doing fine for years. I'm sure the legacyindustrial kit is good too but will the Rustoleum kit work just as well since we're not driving dump trucks on it? probably but we all like over the top here so pick as you like.

there are lessons I think apply to both paths though.
- MOST IMPORTANT: PREP! the floor should be as close to pristine as you can get. otherwise the epoxy won't stick well. unless you're doing this right after you bought a new house you likely have stuff to clean. most stains are easy enough but oil/etc stains produce the most trouble, especially if they're deep. use a degreaser for the surface ones and a poultice for the deep ones.
poultice - clay kitty litter all over the stain until you can't see the floor. mix with acetone until loose mud. cover with Saran Wrap and tape all edges (sticky but no residue). leave two weeks. the acetone is absorbed into the concrete, breaks up the oil, then the kitty litter pulls it out. zero effort oil spill eraser.
- make sure your roller has an extension so you can apply standing up.
- you'll have a short amount of time to apply once you mix, two hours maybe. it seems like plenty of time but the stuff is thick and has to go on evenly. be careful but not slow.
- I had success using painters tape on the edges so the felt doesn't get epoxied and you get a clean line.
- I'm not sure if primer helps that much but etching is important. also use the nonskid (sand). the stuff is slippery as hell when it gets wet without it.
      04-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

one other thing - don't crank your wheels with the car standing still.
      04-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Look at Legacy Industrial
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPM4 View Post
Really would like to epoxy my garage floor, anyone have any recommendations on certain product/kits? I have watched a few youtube videos, but any pointers would be appreciated.

Seems like a nice little weekend project !
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH ANY DO IT YOURSELF KIT!!!!

I purchased a U coat it kit for two different MN properties several years ago. I followed the directions to a t and it was on new construction concrete each time as well. The concrete had cured for about three months prior to application. The product went on ok and looks good for maybe a year and then starts to peel. I think Jay Leno used this stuff in his shop in CA and had issues with it. I also tried another product sold at Menards in a square box which is made in Blaine. It comes in a mylar bag and you mix the tint in with it. This product is horrible also. Long story short don't waste time and money doing it yourself with an off the shelf product not manufactured for the damper midwest concrete that causes it to peel and fail. Even the stuff made in MN doesn't work either. Anything you buy at Home Depot, Lowes or any other hardware store is made elsewhere. You will have to pay 1000-3000 for a professional company to do it depending on the job size. Then there is a warranty and the product actually works. Do a google search and see what is around and talk to the companies.

Last edited by DETSGTSTARSKY; 04-11-2015 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #7
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

You see, that's the thing... You need to grind that top finish coating of your concrete off for the best results. This will allow for the primer(which you should be using) to set into the concrete and will allow your epoxy to set strong. Acid etch is okay, but you won't get the best results with it.

Never just paint anything on to the top of your concrete. That's why all these kits don't work to begin with. Preparation, while a pain in the ass will make or break the longevity of your kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Guess I should elaborate on my post. You'll find a handfull of guys who must have vastly different environments than most because they'll slap on a Home depot kit and have it last for years with no issued. Then you'll have guys with the same kit and some prep have it last under a year. Long term success is typically had by acid etching or grinding and probably both. Not sure how much better or longer lasting the stuff on the GJ vendor is than the rustoleum kits you can get locally but not having the proper prep work will ruin both fast.

Not sure what you're budget is but you may want to look at porcelain tile. Sounds like it would suck for a garage but look it up. Guys have dropped hammers off ladders with little to no harm done. With the HD/ Lowes clearances you can prob do it for around 1.25/sf.

Post up your progress when you get started
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
NVRfollo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

Most epoxy floor kits come with muriatic acid to etch the untreated concrete to aid in adhesion of the of the primer/epoxy. The professionals use a concrete grinder which you can rent to create the required "rough" surface. This will be better than the muriatic acid. You will be able to see the spots you missed. If you go with the acid route, I would recommend you do it multiple times to ensure better results.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
MSPM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

All great feedback, appreciate it !

I wish I had the budget to have the professionals do it, but i don't. If I am throwing around 1-3K im putting it into my F82.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
WHK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I guess not everyone does, but I had very good results with U Coat It. I've done two garage floors and they still look great. I probably did the first one 10 years ago and the second one about 7 years ago.

Preparation is tedious, but that's life. Putting down the first coat of epoxy paint is instant gratification. The paint is absorbed, and it is no harder than painting a wall. The second coat is just as easy as the first. And if you stopped there, you'd have a nice smooth easy to clean surface.

The best looking part is the urethane coat you can put on. This stuff gives off fumes that won't believe, but at the end of the day you have an extremely durable, high gloss coat that is easy to clean.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I will never, ever, ever do epoxy again. Check my garage link for details. It can be done right, but you won't find out until it's too late whether it was.

I would do Porcelain Tile if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I will never, ever, ever do epoxy again. Check my garage link for details. It can be done right, but you won't find out until it's too late whether it was.

I would do Porcelain Tile if I were you.
You can always porcelain tile over a poor epoxy job, but you can't epoxy over an expensive porcelain tile job
      04-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #14
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Ive dealt with a lot of epoxy floors and sports cars with very hot tires, and all of the DIY stuff is almost guaranteed to peel at some point (sooner rather than later).

I found a company called Granite Gargage Floors (google them) that was local to my house. They came out to the house, we decided on what I wanted, and they did it! It was cheaper than tile but much more expensive than your DIY epoxy kit. They spend a lot of time prepping the floor before the multiple layers of epoxy go on.

In the end, it turned out amazing. Its very durable, looks like granite!, great texture for good traction on rainy days, and they give a lifetime warranty on the floor. Im very happy I went this route. Everyone that walks into my garage says it's nicer than every room in their entire house.

Here are a few pics.... (floor is kinda muddy in last pic from me parking my Tundra in there )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:23 PM   #15
basamx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Reading these posts makes it soooo hard to decide. I'm building a new house with a 1,300 SF 4 car garage and about to get the garage floor poured next week to need to decide!! I have 3 options...
1) Colored dark concrete, then pay $2800 for a high grade sealant professionally applied. $4,800 total.
2) Plain concrete, then colored and sealed $3,000k
3) Order tiles from SwissTrax $5,100.

I've had a few quotes from pros to epoxy and seal and they range from $2,500-$6,500 and I'm really surprised by the wide range. I really like the look of the tile, but not sure if it will hold up to the Wisconsin weather. What would you guys do?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #16
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

your garage is half the size of my house. I chose the DIY epoxy because cost was my primary decision point. since you invested in the four car garage, pick quality first, look second, and ignore cost. you don't want to have to explain stains or peeling epoxy at that level. I can't really say which of your choices follows those guidelines ($100 for DIY epoxy) but that's what I'd do.
      07-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #17
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I coated my garage, but I should just have had the floor polished. A lot less money and no issues that all coating seem to have in a working garage which mine is. If you just drive in an out without working on your cars then coated floors can look good and stay that way for a very long time with little care but cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
997usa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4 - Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
Ive dealt with a lot of epoxy floors and sports cars with very hot tires, and all of the DIY stuff is almost guaranteed to peel at some point (sooner rather than later).

I found a company called Granite Gargage Floors (google them) that was local to my house. They came out to the house, we decided on what I wanted, and they did it! It was cheaper than tile but much more expensive than your DIY epoxy kit. They spend a lot of time prepping the floor before the multiple layers of epoxy go on.

In the end, it turned out amazing. Its very durable, looks like granite!, great texture for good traction on rainy days, and they give a lifetime warranty on the floor. Im very happy I went this route. Everyone that walks into my garage says it's nicer than every room in their entire house.

Here are a few pics.... (floor is kinda muddy in last pic from me parking my Tundra in there )
I live in NC and also used Granite Garage Floors.... EXCELLENT company and service. Couldnt be happier - it transformed my garage... Agree with other poster comments that any DYI kit is a waste of money and time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #19
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

to be fair, DIY kits aren't bad. they can last if done right (as with anything). I did mine eight years ago and it's lasted. my suggestion was more about how the guy should shop for his. he's not going to prep 1300 sq ft well for a DIY kit. it'll peel. hire a company and focus on quality. they all look good at that price point.
      07-08-2022, 08:53 PM   #20
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

Perhaps go to Sherwin Williams directly for a commercial product vs the box box stores.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 10:49 PM   #21
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesela View Post
Just finished breaking up my garage floor and pouring a new slab. Gonna rent a cement grinder from HD. There are so many different epoxy floor coatings on the market. Lots of choices and very confusing. I looked at the kits that are sold in HD and Lowe’s. Any recommendations/experience on a high quality, commercial grade product ? Thanks.
I hired a professional to do this on two separate occasions. I highly recommend not taking this on yourself.
Appreciate 0