GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

04-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Fun roads near Baltimore/MD/DC?

Hey guys, so I'm a student at JHU and am looking for some fun roads for when my M3 arrives (tomorrow hopefully!!).

I'm willing to drive a bit to get to them, since I know that city driving SUCKS!

I also might be in DC for law school next year (at GW *fingers crossed*), so I was wondering if people knew some fun roads near the DC area as well(I assume they would be in like the MD or VA suburbs?)

Where do you all drive spiritedly to just get away??

I know nothing can be like the Malibu canyon drives I'm used to from Los Angeles, but there must be some twisty back country I'm missing out on!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Perring parkway at midnight
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Greenmount and north av... Anytime of day.

You'll have to drive spirited.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by I hate picking user names View Post
Greenmount and north av... Anytime of day.

You'll have to drive spirited.
LOL. I actually worked at the States Attorney's office on North Ave for a 3 month internship. Definitely saw more than I'd ever think I would see....

And Greenmount/North Ave is like 3 blocks from campus... fun times!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #5
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Actually---

Drive through Loch Raven reservoir..take 146 up to Jarrettsville jump over to 165... Come back down through rock state park... Hit Harford road at 152... Take Harford back down to parkville.

Good loop... You it it right with traffic... It'd be a great test drive..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually---

Drive through Loch Raven reservoir..take 146 up to Jarrettsville jump over to 146... Come back down through rock state park... Hit Harford road at 152... Take Harford back down to parkville.

Awesome, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.k0rigKV5XpSg

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.k3o0r4VDMybw

^^^ Superbly fun
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I also might be in DC for law school next year (at GW *fingers crossed*), so I was wondering if people knew some fun roads near the DC area as well(I assume they would be in like the MD or VA suburbs?)
Definitely... but only for Georgetown students, sorry

Kidding.. let me unpop both my collars real quick... ok - so in VA we've got all sorts of shenanigans for you to visit once you make your way down here. Plus a healthy number of ///M enthusiasts down for getting together for convoy drives, show drives, cars and coffee.. etc. It's a good area for sure! In DC-proper though, I love to blast down Cabin John parkway at night. Speedtraps/cameras abound naturally, but just have to be aware of surroundings.
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark View Post
Definitely... but only for Georgetown students, sorry

Kidding.. let me unpop both my collars real quick... ok - so in VA we've got all sorts of shenanigans for you to visit once you make your way down here. Plus a healthy number of ///M enthusiasts down for getting together for convoy drives, show drives, cars and coffee.. etc. It's a good area for sure! In DC-proper though, I love to blast down Cabin John parkway at night. Speedtraps/cameras abound naturally, but just have to be aware of surroundings.
Don't speed in VA if you value your license/freedom.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect View Post
THIS X 10!!

Was traveling through the Shenandoah Valley, couple months ago got caught doing 10 over.. Got a ticket for reckless driving. Are you kidding me???

It was a must appear ticket 255 miles from my house north of Baltimore.

Got the reckless part of the ticket dropped without a lawyer but still had a hefty fine. With all due respect, that Commonwealth needs to get with the times.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #11
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ARchitect View Post
yeah the jailtime over 80 option is always a fun thing to look forward to. I save my "real speeding" for the autobahn
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
THIS X 10!!

Was traveling through the Shenandoah Valley, couple months ago got caught doing 10 over.. Got a ticket for reckless driving. Are you kidding me???

It was a must appear ticket 255 miles from my house north of Baltimore.

Got the reckless part of the ticket dropped without a lawyer but still had a hefty fine. With all due respect, that Commonwealth needs to get with the times.
yeah, if you are tagged going over 80 then it's automatic, even if the speed-limit is already 70. OP: Honestly, if you know the area, don't drive like a total d, and you have the right precautions, you're probably going to be ok. It's really rough for people who just don't know the hiding spots or don't have the right gear.

and yes, commonwealth has a lot to update. Apparently it's the fault of the Virginia Sheriff's Association and the State Police lobby. I've spoke to a couple people in the state government who have said they would try to make changes, but any bill would get railroaded with those two groups and fail. IE: they get money, they want to keep getting money, and until people are pissed about that enough it won't ever change. Virginia has noone to blame but the people that live in it...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #13
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Actually---

Drive through Loch Raven reservoir..take 146 up to Jarrettsville jump over to 165... Come back down through rock state park... Hit Harford road at 152... Take Harford back down to parkville.

Nice loop. Will have to try this sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #14
JYTsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 ZCP AW/Spd, F82 - Sold

anyone interested in doing a group ride sometime? text me up 703 628 4888
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
Homsyboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 TB/SO

Hey man my friends and I (straight piped mk6 gti and r6 bike) have a tunnel circuit through dc which is actually really good for both sound and curves (whitehurst freeway) and we go out to Lorton which also has good roads

All GW students
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #16
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homsyboy
Hey man my friends and I (straight piped mk6 gti and r6 bike) have a tunnel circuit through dc which is actually really good for both sound and curves (whitehurst freeway) and we go out to Lorton which also has good roads

All GW students
Awesome. I might be there next year for law school (on the waitlist crossing my fingers). Would love to mob sometime!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #17
Homsyboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 TB/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homsyboy

All GW students
Awesome. I might be there next year for law school (on the waitlist crossing my fingers). Would love to mob sometime!
Sounds good! PM me I'm here for 1 more year of undergrad then med school so I'll be here for 5 years!
Appreciate 0