E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Where is milage stored?

04-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #1
BennyMalino
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Where is milage stored?

I did a gauge overlay recently and it really messed up the cluster. I had to take it all apart and reset all the stop points. I finally got the speed, tach and gas to work right but the oil temp doesn't work now. I've thought about getting a new cluster and putting it in, however I don't know if the milage on the car is stored in the cluster or on the ECU.

Does anyone know where the E9x models keep this info? This has become the worst ever $60 mod!!

I've done a few Google searches and can't find anything for the E9x cars. Thanks for the help!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:39 AM   #2
Foxes
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

I'm pretty sure mileage would be stored in the ECU. Otherwise it would be easy for unscrupulous dealers to just swap out a cheap cluster to fool the consumer into thinking the mileage was low. I've seen that on the older clusters from the E46 days, there would be a tamper evident "dot" which would illuminate and stay on if the mileage had been tampered with. Anyway you should be able to get by with swapping out a cluster, not that expensive especially used, not sure if it requires programming though.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:15 AM   #3
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Yes it's stored in the ecu. If you get a brand new cluster from BMW with no VIN entered all should be fine.

If you get a used cluster it will have the red dot between the milage and trip.

If you decide on a used cluster make sure the cluster has less miles than your car! If it has more, the ecu will be updated with the higher mileage. I have no experience of this, just something I was warned of. It will have the tamper dot unless you enter the correct VIN in to the eeprom chip. This cant be done with coding by the way, but is possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:33 AM   #4
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Drop a line to M8-Enzo@freenet.de
He's in the city of Werne/Germany and repairs your cluster. Google for his nickname and reputation. AFAIK he's the only one who repairs the moving coil units. Let him do the job you can be sure everything works again und you have the cluster that belongs to the car. There's a master key code stored in the memory that interacts with all on board electric/electronical devices. Even the number of engine cylinders is part of the code.
That's why you can't interchange clusters easily.

Do not drive around with the cluster removed.

BTW the milage is even stored in the car keys
      04-06-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
wildcatcrazy69
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

The mileage is stored in the cluster's EEPROM and CAS module. A used cluster will work and show your original miles, but with a tamper dot (regardless of the donor car's miles). The mileage problem occurs when the EEPROM isn't replaced, but your VIN is written when the donor car had the higher mileage (has to be done with a special programmer).

Problem you're having is the worm gear inside the white servo motor was knocked off track when you put the needle back on. If you look on the back of the servo, you will see what looks like a metal needle that sticks out the back. You need to use a thimble (or something similar) to apply positive pressure when you're re-installing the needles to keep it from pushing down too far.

The servo comes apart pretty easily, and you'll see the worm gear on top once it pops off. Re-seat it, put it back together, install needles as described and you should be good to go. Also, make sure the metal contact between the servo and pc board is making good contact when you install back on the board.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
BennyMalino
Private
Rep

I had to take them all apart to fix the stop points. It's starnge because I'll get the oil temp set and the worm gear set and when I hook it up it pops out of where it's seated and it doesn't work. I just don't get what's not working.

I don't think I really want to mess with a replacement cluster when I might get a red light of death or I could inadvertent hose the miles...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:30 AM   #7
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

The readings will never be correct unless you know how to adjust/reset the pointers and test them for accuracy with proper equipment (I personally don't know how it's to be done)
I strongly recommend to contact Enzo http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...26&postcount=4

He is an icon here in Germany
      04-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
BennyMalino
Private
Rep

so a new one from BMW is $992 and it takes 1.5 hours to code it to the car. I looked again and the fine copper wire that controls the indicator is broken. Not sure its worth the $800 to not have a red dot...

Thanks to whiteblue, but I can't really ship it and wait for someone to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
skiracer8148
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Thanks I always wondered how it worked myself
Appreciate 0