E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Problem with my h8 mtec v3 angel eyes

03-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Problem with my h8 mtec v3 angel eyes

Hey I got these about a week ago and was pretty excited to see the results based on this video here

Unfortunately mine don't look at all like this. The inner ring looks great and is a bright white but almost too bright and does not hold the shape of a ring the outer ring is almost yellow and is really only visible when looking directly head on or at night. This doesn't seem to be the case with the mtecs in the video so I'm wondering what other people's experiences were with these.

Pretty disappointed as the stock angel eyes outer ring are visible in daylight from all angles but these aren't visible if you turn an inch off or directly looking at them and aren't at all uniform with the inner ring.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...&starteronly=1

Last edited by thatg; 03-30-2015 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I hope mine don't look like this because I just picked some up yesterday. Waiting to install them still.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

what you are seeing appears normal for any headlight for the E92's actually. The outer ring is only designed to be viable from certain angles. If you look up close you will see that there are grooves on the back of the ring, and you can only see these grooves when looking straight at the ring. If you look from an angle the grooves disappear. These grooves are what reflect the light outwards too.

This is simply the design of the headlight and there is no way to change that. Here is a closeup picture of the headlights with a OEM Bulb installed:

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
thatg
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
what you are seeing appears normal for any headlight for the E92's actually. The outer ring is only designed to be viable from certain angles. If you look up close you will see that there are grooves on the back of the ring, and you can only see these grooves when looking straight at the ring. If you look from an angle the grooves disappear. These grooves are what reflect the light outwards too.

This is simply the design of the headlight and there is no way to change that. Here is a closeup picture of the headlights with a OEM Bulb installed:

Ive posted pictures of the mtec v3 vs the stock amber angel eyes and the stock are much moe visible in daylight over the mtec

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Well it could be 2 things. First off for sure is the difference in color. Daylight color is around 6500k, and from what i saw those lights are rated for 6500k. Since they are the same there is almost no contrast in color. the stock bulbs are much more yellow so there is a contrast making them easier to see.

The other thing could just be the amount of light they are producing. The more light that gets produced the more clear they will be to see. I cant comment about their products so i cant say how bright they are
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
888Concept
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 FBO COBB'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
Hey I got these about a week ago and was pretty excited to see the results based on this video here

Unfortunately mine don't look at all like this. The inner ring looks great and is a bright white but almost too bright and does not hold the shape of a ring the outer ring is almost yellow and is really only visible when looking directly head on or at night. This doesn't seem to be the case with the mtecs in the video so I'm wondering what other people's experiences were with these.

Pretty disappointed as the stock angel eyes outer ring are visible in daylight from all angles but these aren't visible if you turn an inch off or directly looking at them and aren't at all uniform with the inner ring.

stock angel eye bulb (amber) may be less bright than mtec bulb, but since it's amber, it's more visible during daytime.

Unfortunately that's just something you're going to have with these plug-n-play solutions. YOu will never get both rings to be equally bright and visible from all angles. It's just a design flaw and there's nothing you can do about it. Some people have success achieving good glow by replacing Angel EYE bulb with HID BULB. However, over time the HIDBULB will turn your halos optics into yellow and burn it. The best solution to achieve bright and even glow halos is to retrofit full-led rings.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
thatg
Major
Rep

im just wondering why in the video the lights seem nothing like mine, you can see them from all different angles and both are just as bright as one another

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

In the video the angel eyes are overexposed so they appear very bright. It overcast in the video so there is not much ambient light as a comparison. In the pictures its sunny and the angel eyes are underexposed, making them appear not as bright. This is one of the unfortunately things of photography versus what our eyes actually see.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
im just wondering why in the video the lights seem nothing like mine, you can see them from all different angles and both are just as bright as one another
That's such a large difference in light output regardless if its over/under exposed When I installed my Mtech's LEDs there were three alignment holes on either side. Did you align the angel eyes correctly? If you did I would return them and go full LED halos!
Appreciate 0