Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
aussiedave87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Should I worry about my tires from doing six laps?

I have just completed a car control course and autocross event as part of BMW ultimate drive experience in Atlanta. Autocross was one of the reasons I justified why I should get an M3 (for the fact I have a place to drive a really fun car). I'm potentially hooked so now I want to try it out in my own car (BMW events were BMW's cars - including M3/M4 as part of car control clinic).

There is a BMW CCA autocross event on April 5 in Atlanta and I thinking about heading down for the day and signing up. I plan to get a loan helment before committing to buying one.

http://www.peachtreebmwcca.org/index...d=70&Itemid=37

I will try to do some good laps but it looks like the whole time is 6 laps anyway. (I wonder if the whole sitting around all day for 6 laps is worth it). DCS will be on fully - I have no interest at this time of using MDM.

F80 has 1300 miles on it. Should I worry about my tires from doing six laps?

And one final question - insurance. Anyone got feedback on insurance for this type of event?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

It appears you are just getting into this type of activity, so I'd say it is worth standing around, talking cars, watching others run, and doing your own runs and comparing times (not to mention the trash talk )

Your tires will be fine, don't worry. However, DSC or MDM won't work, especially in autox. I was at test and tune for our local chapter today, and it was superbly fun to hang the tail out, swimming across a sea of cones and learning the behavior of the car. The electronic nannies won't allow you to run anything even close to decent, it will hold you back significantly. Try it of course few runs, then try without it and you'll see what I mean.

Best of luck, have fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 07:34 PM   #3
aussiedave87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

All the training with BMW was done with dsc on. I look forward to learning with dsc off - but not first day!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:09 PM   #4
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Autocross doesn't put the sort of energy into your tires a full track would. If you do this often get a more aggressive alignment so your wear stays even.

6 AX laps is really nothing to be concerned with. Even if it were, that's what tires are for, burning, make them sing for you and enjoy it!

Welcome to the asylum, it's a good place.
      03-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedave87 View Post
There is a BMW CCA autocross event on April 5 in Atlanta and I thinking about heading down for the day and signing up. I plan to get a loan helment before committing to buying one.

http://www.peachtreebmwcca.org/index...d=70&Itemid=37

I will try to do some good laps but it looks like the whole time is 6 laps anyway. (I wonder if the whole sitting around all day for 6 laps is worth it).
Yes, it's worth it.
It's not just the 6 runs, it' the entire experience of walking and figuring out the course, learning from others (get passenger rides with experienced autoXers!), hanging out with other car nuts, and yes, learning your and your car's limits in a safe environment. The last bit is worth the price of entry, but everything above it is equally, if not more fun.

Definitely do it!

Quote:
DCS will be on fully - I have no interest at this time of using MDM.
You will find the limits of DSC and MDM very soon.
It's up to you when to start turning them off, one by one. Don't let anyone force you to let go of electronic helpers before you are comfortable. But I bet you will be better at managing your car's traction than either nannie before the year is out!

Quote:
F80 has 1300 miles on it. Should I worry about my tires from doing six laps?
Your tires will do just fine.
You will wear them a bit faster when pushed to the limit, but that's the cost of having so much fun in the car.

Quote:
And one final question - insurance. Anyone got feedback on insurance for this type of event?
autoX is one of the safest environments you can find.
Having said that, it's a timed event, and most insurance companies will take a dim view of a claim filed by a participant of a timed event. Draw your own conclusions.

a
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

For autox i think you should turn electronics full off. Why else are you in the parking lot if not to figure out what going to (and past) the traction limit feels like?
Appreciate 0