E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Clarkson gets the sack!!

03-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #1
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Clarkson gets the sack!!

Just announced that JC's contract at the Beeb will NOT be renewed. Due to expire end of march.

So ITV, Channel 4/5 or even Sky, get him signed up!!
      03-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

RIP Top Gear
      03-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Kali
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93

Is this for sure now? They been changing the story like 50 times. And there is this tweet as well:
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post
Is this for sure now? They been changing the story like 50 times. And there is this tweet as well:
Defo, on the Beeb site and on the Beeb news!!
      03-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Yep, he's gone - well going. Smart move to let his contract expire as he can't sue for unfair dismissal. I think Chris Evans would be a good choice to replace him.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 09:49 AM   #6
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
RIP top gear. James may is good, but he can't carry it off on his own.

On the plus side I don't have to ever hear Hammonds voice again, as he slowly, emphasises that he is trying so very hard to make a joke.

Also - https://twitter.com/MrJamesMay - "Former TV presenter"
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

I'm sure ITV will probably offer him something

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

From what I understand, his contract will not be renewed but he still has a share in the commercial arm of the BBC.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a caveat in there to say if he was to work for another motoring program, his shares may be nullified or void.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I can just see a big public apology coming and him being welcomed back. No hard feelings etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #10
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Bring in Tiff Needell from Fifth Gear! His reviews of the Impreza P1 and Mitsubishi Evo got me hooked on my car addiction back in the day.

(Starting @ 40 seconds)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1
Bring in Tiff Needell from Fifth Gear! His reviews of the Impreza P1 and Mitsubishi Evo got me hooked on my car addiction back in the day.

(Starting @ 40 seconds)
+1 and Chris Harris!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 06:23 PM   #12
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

Are they goin to show the last few episodes?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

Chris Harris is fine for us car bores, but very dull for everyone else and Tiff has done topgear before.

Last edited by E92Dan; 03-27-2015 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 03:10 AM   #14
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
Are they goin to show the last few episodes?
They can't as they weren't filmed....at least not the studio sections.
      03-28-2015, 03:16 AM   #15
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

That's a shitter, was there not talk of them showing the last one because it had no studio footage? Surely they can piece together what non studio footage they have and make an episode with what's remaining.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:39 AM   #16
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

sky have said there out...apparently hes getting big offers from likes of russia etc
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2015, 04:33 AM   #17
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Yeah and Netflix are apparently sniffing around. I don't really want to pay a subscription just for top Gear but it might be worth it if they do it in 4k.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #18
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Dan View Post
Chris Harris is fine for us car bores, but very dull for everyone else and Tiff has done topgear before.
Tiff I think is good for reviewing cars, but that's not what many people watch Top Gear for.

Let's not forget Tiff did host the old Top Gear and it failed due to lack of popularity. Top Gear then became 5th Gear on channel 5 and it was twice dropped for lack of popularity. It's now on one of the Discovery channels way down the channel list.

I'm getting more used to Harris these days, but he isn't many people's cup of tea. He's more matter of fact than banter like Top Gear is. His own YouTube channel went down like a lead balloon after he needed people to subscribe.

Getting Harris and Tiff together will make it a car programme again. As proven time and time again, car programmes aren't popular and fail all too often.

People only like car programmes if they review the cars they like and give them good reviews. You've got millions of people all tuning in and all wanting to see completely different things. Some people want to see sensible family hatches reviewed, others want to see super cars they'll never actually be able to afford.

TG was hugely successful as it combined cars, humour and some cracking special shows from various countries around the world.

Telling people what MPG a car does, scoring each other's drifting and a few laps at Anglesey doesn't attract people.

People called TG reptitive, but every other car programme had their set format and rarely deviated.

In many ways TG was a victim of its own success. It became too popular and made people want to dislike it.

Hopefully it will be back slightly refreshed and not stripped back to a basic show.

Last edited by Kerr; 03-30-2015 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:30 AM   #19
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Tiff I think is good for reviewing cars, but that's not what many people watch Top Gear for.

Let's not forget Tiff did host the old Top Gear and it failed due to lack of popularity. Top Gear then became 5th Gear on channel 5 and it was twice dropped for lack of popularity. It's now on one of the Discovery channels way down the channel list.

I'm getting more used to Harris these days, but he isn't many people's cup of tea. He's more matter of fact than banter like Top Gear is. His own YouTube channel went down like a lead balloon after he needed people to subscribe.

Getting Harris and Tiff together will make it a car programme again. As proven time and time again, car programmes aren't popular and fail all too often.

People only like car programmes if they review the cars they like and give them good reviews. You've got millions of people all tuning in and all wanting to see completely different things. Some people want to see sensible family hatches reviewed, others want to see super cars they'll never actually be able to afford.

TG was hugely successful as it combined cars, humour and some cracking special shows from various countries around the world.

Telling people what MPG a car does, scoring each other's drifting and a few laps at Anglesey doesn't attract people.

People called TG reptitive, but every other car programme had their set format and rarely deviated.

In many ways TG was a victim of its own success. It became too popular and made people want to dislike it.

Hopefully it will be back slightly refreshed and not stripped back to a basic show.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:36 AM   #20
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post

Best post i have read on this forum for many a month!

Totally Agree!
      03-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #21
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
That's a shitter, was there not talk of them showing the last one because it had no studio footage? Surely they can piece together what non studio footage they have and make an episode with what's remaining.
Yes it takes the p*ss when old Top Gear episodes are on BBC3 night after night.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #22
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

Glad I didn't fully watch the episode they did which was just a teaser of all the stuff coming up this season.
Appreciate 0