BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > BMW M Performance Steering Wheel

View Poll Results: Which wheel would you choose?
BMW M Performance Steering Wheel 30 60.00%
BMW M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel 20 40.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

03-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #1
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

BMW M Performance Steering Wheel

BMW USA - BMW M Performance Steering Wheel Selection

YouTube - New BMW M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel on M4 (go to 2:48)

YouTube - New BMW M Performance Steering wheel on BMW 435i

YouTube - Function of Last Generation BMW M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel Explained

Plans to have an M Performance Steering Wheel port or dealer installed? If so which wheel and why?

I personally like the non-electronic version and prefer the alcantara over standard leather as I plan to track my car on occasion. #bluestripe
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

I previously had the V1 WITHOUT lights etc on my 1'er.
I reckon I'll go the whole hog on the ///M2 just for the shift lights/402m time but more importantly the oil and water temp especially for modding and such
Would also like a P3 vent gauge, or otherwise mount a tablet for current boost etc

One thing I just noticed which I'm a little sad about, no more flat bottom steering. that sucks. Loved that about the e-series steering

Last edited by UpNcOmINg!; 03-24-2015 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
Fandango
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Vert

i have the electronic version, coolest toy on the car and as previously mentioned great for checking temps before spirited driving. My feedback, you need to be careful with the alacantra and take practical steps (hand wipes in glove box etc) also the plastic bit at the top is easily scratched (Mrs uses car every once in a while, handbag probably hits as she gets out) and thats annoying as its in eye line.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for your thoughts on the electronic version. I do like the water/oil temp gauges, is there a mode that leaves them on all the time? Then does anyone know if they can display in Fahrenheit?

Also, I believe these are the two wheels we'll have to choose from (choose the 2015 m3/m4 on the bmwusa link to see them):

(EDIT: We may get the 2-series wheels to choose from actually, not these, see below.)
Attached Images

Last edited by ///Mobbin; 03-25-2015 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't understand the point of checking oil in the tiny read out on the wheel. That info is already in the dash and the steering wheel moves so it's not as useful.

To me it's a gimmick. Especially in the m3 /m4 where the HUD is available.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
I don't understand the point of checking oil in the tiny read out on the wheel. That info is already in the dash and the steering wheel moves so it's not as useful.

To me it's a gimmick. Especially in the m3 /m4 where the HUD is available.
I tend to agree that the electronic version of the wheel seems kind of gimmicky even with the track in mind (road course). I will say though that many vehicles don't come with both an oil and coolant temp gauge on the dash. Just having a way to conveniently check that can be worthwhile. Also, I don't think the m2 is going to come with HUD (though I'd love for BMW to prove me wrong on that). The shift lights also might be neat for the track but won't those be present above the tachometer like on most any if not all other M-cars? (I know they would be on the M-HUD display as well if that ends up being an option)

Also, does anyone know if both oil and coolant temp are available on the m235i or the m3/m4 dashes for comparison?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

For the 2 series/M2, it looks like these are the choices as the steering hub should be the same between the two:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/44...IPPED-VEHICLES

Either way, I can't stand wearing gloves for daily driving and alcantara turns to garbage when it comes in contact with oil from human skin.

It'll be the stock leather steering wheel for me.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #8
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Also, does anyone know if both oil and coolant temp are available on the m235i or the m3/m4 dashes for comparison?
F8x has an oil temp gauge in the gauge cluster.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
For the 2 series/M2, it looks like these are the choices as the steering hub should be the same between the two:

Either way, I can't stand wearing gloves for daily driving and alcantara turns to garbage when it comes in contact with oil from human skin.

It'll be the stock leather steering wheel for me.
Sorry, I had assumed we were getting the M3/M4 steering hub, good point that we may in fact get the 2-series hub. And interesting info on the downside of going alcantara, will have to keep that in mind. You could always have your alcantara wheel re-covered in a few years time though it may be more effort than it's worth.

I wonder if you get to keep the leather wheel if you have one of these port installed?

EDIT: I wonder if the hubs are actually different or if they are just trying to sell different parts for different cars. Has anyone confirmed this?

Last edited by ///Mobbin; 03-25-2015 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I had assumed we were getting the M3/M4 steering hub, good point that we may in fact get the 2-series hub. And interesting info on the downside of going alcantara, will have to keep that in mind. You could always have your alcantara wheel re-covered in a few years time though it may be more effort than it's worth.
If you doesn't want to wear driving gloves every time you drive the car, you'll have to get used to cleaning the steering wheel daily. Either way, inevitably we all get lazy, and then our steering wheel ends up looking like this:

Quote:
I wonder if you get to keep the leather wheel if you have one of these port installed?
The original item is forfeited when having BMW M Performance parts installed at the port.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2015, 01:04 AM   #11
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

There is just nothing like the feel of Alcantara in your hands! I will DEFINITELY be buying one of these wheels, I get anal about cleaning my car in any case, so keeping cleaning products in my car all the time won't be an issue for me. Besides, it's so worth it!
I bought mine after the car, so kept my stock wheel as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2015, 07:34 AM   #12
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I'm staying stock. While I love the flat bottom steering wheel, the leather on my stock E92 M3 steering wheel has held up amazing at 83k miles. The plastic trim surround is beat up, but the leather itself is still pretty soft.

With the M2, I'd just do a P3 vent and call it a day.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      03-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #13
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I'm staying stock. While I love the flat bottom steering wheel, the leather on my stock E92 M3 steering wheel has held up amazing at 83k miles. The plastic trim surround is beat up, but the leather itself is still pretty soft.

With the M2, I'd just do a P3 vent and call it a day.
FWIW I think they're only doing round versions of the performance steering wheels now.

Then, I'm curious if the P3 vent gauge uses the OBDII port and prevents another device from connecting to it. My current track logging setup involves using an OBDII dongle connected to Harry's Laptimer to log various parameters. I can use Harry's for coolant temperature monitoring also but oil temp over OBDII is hard to get working unless you know the PID's and formula for a given car/platform, coolant temperature on the other hand is standard and available over OBD2 for most any vehicle. Harry has it setup to show coolant and oil temp (if available) and provide warnings to the driver if they are hitting high temps. Admittedly I usually have it on the enlarged gap timer screen though instead of the screen that would show the temps/warnings.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #14
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNcOmINg! View Post
There is just nothing like the feel of Alcantara in your hands! I will DEFINITELY be buying one of these wheels, I get anal about cleaning my car in any case, so keeping cleaning products in my car all the time won't be an issue for me. Besides, it's so worth it!
I bought mine after the car, so kept my stock wheel as well.
Thanks for the input. Perhaps I should go dealer installed and try the alcantara wheel so I know what I'm missing, then I'll have the leather wheel to switch back to once the wear on the alcantara starts to bother me. I might also consider having the wheel re-covered at that point in time. I've seen Coby Wheel mentioned in European Car magazine a number of times as a place that does this.

Coby Wheel

Does anyone have an idea on the cost difference to do a dealer install vs port install?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #15
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
FWIW I think they're only doing round versions of the performance steering wheels now.

Then, I'm curious if the P3 vent gauge uses the OBDII port and prevents another device from connecting to it. My current track logging setup involves using an OBDII dongle connected to Harry's Laptimer to log various parameters. I can use Harry's for coolant temperature monitoring also but oil temp over OBDII is hard to get working unless you know the PID's and formula for a given car/platform, coolant temperature on the other hand is standard and available over OBD2 for most any vehicle. Harry has it setup to show coolant and oil temp (if available) and provide warnings to the driver if they are hitting high temps. Admittedly I usually have it on the enlarged gap timer screen though instead of the screen that would show the temps/warnings.
To be honest, I haven't really read up on the P3 that much so that is definitely possible.

All the M cars lately have oil temp gauges. So if we are talking about live data, you should be set in that regards. If you want to log stuff like while you are on track, then I'm not sure to be honest.

I've got a Scanguage on my E36 because it only has a dummy coolant temp gauge. But I don't have anything with the E92 because it already has an oil gauge I use pretty religiously.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #16
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

So these would be the options if we can only use the 2-series wheels. The difference appears to be the amount of carbon fiber used in the center section and then the red instead of the blue stripe on the M3/M4 wheels. Small details but I'd prefer the M3/M4 wheel if that's an option.
Attached Images

03-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #17
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
I will take the one with the shift lights and computer built in. I had it on my 135i and it was brilliant

MR
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Arwon vent gauges seem to be better equipped than the P3.
Would be a nice addition to the V2 electronic wheel.
But then again, you can get apps these days connected via OBD and potentially Bluetooth to gain data such as IATs, boost, logs etc etc
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #19
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
F8x has an oil temp gauge in the gauge cluster.
Does the F8x display coolant temp anywhere?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #20
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

I thought I'd point out that these wheels are available from ECS Tuning for a good amount less than from bmwusa.com, definitely keeping my factory leather wheel now and installing after the fact.

ECS Tuning - BMW M Performance Steering Wheel

ECS Tuning - BMW M Performance Electronic Steering Wheel

Also, I noticed that for the electronic wheel water/coolant temperature is indicated to only be available in diesel cars on ECS's listing, bummer.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:25 AM   #21
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Go to around 2:25 in this video for some shift light (electronic steering wheel) motivation:
Turner Motorsport - 24 Hours of Daytona Part 1 - Testing
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #22
jcardenasmzl
Private
Rep
Drives: VW GTI '12

I think I'm the only one who would prefer a HUD? Don't get me wrong the steering wheel looks cool but the Alcantara seems like a hassle. Changing topics a little bit, I wonder if the HUD is going to be available for the M2 and if it is, is it going to be in the executive package like m3/m4 or the the technology package like de 435i I guess it all depends if it comes standard with navigation (hoping it doesn't so the price is lower).
Appreciate 0