E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Another Use for LUX H8 v5 AEs

03-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Another Use for LUX H8 v5 AEs

A couple of months ago, I replaced the fog lamps housings and used Nokya 2500k yellow bulbs. Got tired of trying to match the fog bulb color to the Lux 8 v5 LED AE's. Plus, the yellow bulbs are more functional.

In playing around with the different color choices for the AEs, I did find one major advantage of having the color-adjustable LUX H8 v5s, tho: I was in an accident a few months ago and had to replace the driver's side headlamp. The difference in clarity...and color...between my older head lamp (the car is an '08) and the new one was very disappointing. Most of you know that the fiber optics inside these older lamps turn a bit yellow with age...almost unnoticeable with stock H8 AE bulbs but readily apparent once you go to whiter bulbs if your headlights are two different ages like mine are (7 years).

Solution: I set the driver's LUX 8 v5 to 5000k and the passenger side to 5200k, and...they match perfectly! On any of the other settings, the older headlamp was dimmer and had a green tint compared to the new one. Most people didn't notice but just about all of my motor-head friends did. That was the main motivation for coding out the amber corners: To keep those corners from coloring the AEs at all, which was much more noticeable on the older headlamp. This corner delete helped, but didn't solve the mismatch problem. Not sure if this was in the mind of LUX when they designed the color adjustment (I did ask myself "Why two colors so close together...5000 and 5200k?") but in my case, it was very helpful.

Even though the AE's matched now, I decided to leave the corners deleted but keep the LEDs, which I think complimented the yellow fogs and made the light set look like some of the newer cars on the road. What do you think? Sorry for the lousy iPhone pics.

Name:  IMG_4008.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  241.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4009.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  233.7 KB
"O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires." (Isaiah 54:11)

Last edited by Isaiah5411; 03-23-2015 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

I have actually seen this a few times in person too. if you have a new headlight and an old headlight the colors will not match up correct on them.
Appreciate 0