E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Drinks always spill from Cupholder

03-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Drinks always spill from Cupholder

Hi Guys,

I have tried to put a medium and large Starbucks coffee cup in the cup holder and every time while driving it just spills from the top.
I tried to put some water bottles they hold a little better so maybe its just the Coffee cup dimensions? lol I dont even know what to think of this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Its more prevalent on the driver side but also occurs on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
PDX-335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i Sport

Use the drink stoppers on the starbucks cups - little plastic sticks that should be on the counter. Keeps the coffee from spilling out the drink hole.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
If you think the cupholders are any good, especially to hold a large coffee, you're just asking for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
almcbs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i & FD RX7

drink stoppers are the only way i have been able to prevent coffee from spilling while driving. That or just burn your mouth and drink a quarter of the coffee hot.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Haha So I am not the only one that is chugging coffee in order for it not to spill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by almcbs View Post
drink stoppers are the only way i have been able to prevent coffee from spilling while driving. That or just burn your mouth and drink a quarter of the coffee hot.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

I experienced the same thing, our cup holders aren't simply deep enough and on the extended arm that moves/vibrates under the weight, lesson learned, either drink some before putting it back, take is easy on the accelerator pedal (hard to do) or use regular coffee cup with the lids that close completely. Last option was the easiest for me but occasionally they do fly out as well, keeping the cup always in close position prevents major spill
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

This cup holders are only good for regular aluminum sized cans. I've had my blender bottle topple over several times if they are filled past the half way mark. Lucky they were always capped.

Also they're so hard to find at night. How cool would it be if they had little LEDs so you know where to push and where to put your cups. I've had to use my cup to feel around to find the hole several times (that's what she said lol)
      03-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

There is a simple DIY to add LED lights to the cup holders, I will try to find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chanc3 View Post
This cup holders are only good for regular aluminum sized cans. I've had my blender bottle topple over several times if they are filled past the half way mark. Lucky they were always capped.

Also they're so hard to find at night. How cool would it be if they had little LEDs so you know where to push and where to put your cups. I've had to use my cup to feel around to find the hole several times (that's what she said lol)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was sitting there for 20 minutes thinking something was wrong with my cup holders. I was like BMW wouldnt make something with such a stupid design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
I experienced the same thing, our cup holders aren't simply deep enough and on the extended arm that moves/vibrates under the weight, lesson learned, either drink some before putting it back, take is easy on the accelerator pedal (hard to do) or use regular coffee cup with the lids that close completely. Last option was the easiest for me but occasionally they do fly out as well, keeping the cup always in close position prevents major spill
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
chandleerr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Garage List
2009 Bmw 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
E30's didn't even come with cup holders. Just saying! BMW back then was all about the Ultimate Driving Machine. They didn't want you to drink in the car. They wanted you to enjoy the experience. If you think about it they put them there because all cars now a days have them. I don't think BMW really cares about how well the cup holders are. That's just my opinion personally.

Now if someone has cup holders in their e30 then that's great but mine never did.So correct me if I'm wrong.I even owned a euro spec e30 in Germany. No cupholders

but to answer your question OP. The little green drink stoppers are your best bet. The only drink I use in my car is my BMW coffee travel mug. Hasn't spilled yet
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #11
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Try using the sleeve that starbucks provides that prevents your hands from getting burnt with the hot stuff in the cup. I stick my starbucks Tall/medium drink with that sleeve on it and it stays there like a charm and doesn't bump out at all!

Just make sure that you ensure that the sleeve has gone in completely as it tends to get stuck sometimes on the edge of the cup holder.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #12
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandleerr View Post
E30's didn't even come with cup holders. Just saying! BMW back then was all about the Ultimate Driving Machine. They didn't want you to drink in the car. They wanted you to enjoy the experience. If you think about it they put them there because all cars now a days have them. I don't think BMW really cares about how well the cup holders are. That's just my opinion personally.

Now if someone has cup holders in their e30 then that's great but mine never did.So correct me if I'm wrong.I even owned a euro spec e30 in Germany. No cupholders

but to answer your question OP. The little green drink stoppers are your best bet. The only drink I use in my car is my BMW coffee travel mug. Hasn't spilled yet
it was cause in Europe we didn't have extensive long straight highways where we can relax and have a drink, we have extensive road side services equipped with nice restaurants for that purpose. Our twisted and narrow roads require you as a driver to focus and keep your eyes on the road. Every make that was being sold in Europe did not have cup holders, I believe some countries still do not allow you to drink (meaning tea, coffee, water) while driving. It is changing now but BMW straggled to find proper location and design for the cup holders . We all know that BMW does not like to make drastic changes when it comes to design, look at the line of the cars and how little they do modify them.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Well duh!

Gotta use some common sense with what you put in those cup holders (pretty much nothing but a can of soda.)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
chandleerr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Garage List
2009 Bmw 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
it was cause in Europe we didn't have extensive long straight highways where we can relax and have a drink, we have extensive road side services equipped with nice restaurants for that purpose. Our twisted and narrow roads require you as a driver to focus and keep your eyes on the road. Every make that was being sold in Europe did not have cup holders, I believe some countries still do not allow you to drink (meaning tea, coffee, water) while driving. It is changing now but BMW straggled to find proper location and design for the cup holders . We all know that BMW does not like to make drastic changes when it comes to design, look at the line of the cars and how little they do modify them.
I like the Ultimate Driving Experience excuse better!!

When i lived in Europe( Germany) for a few years their were plenty of long roads. just my experience. but i get what youre saying as well
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #15
glachhman2
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

cardboard sleeve! or use the one in the armrest but thats really inconvenient.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #16
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Get a frappucino and be done with the epic spillage.....one reason I want summer to come quickly...kinda strange having a frapp on -20 day
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #17
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Words of wisdom right there! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Get a frappucino and be done with the epic spillage.....one reason I want summer to come quickly...kinda strange having a frapp on -20 day
Appreciate 0