E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Covering my backside

01-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D SE Touring

Garage List
Covering my backside

Whilst cleaning my E91 tonight, I noticed quite a deep scuff mark on my rear bumper where I think I must have caught it over the last couple of weeks whilst lugging a case in or out of the boot. It's on the top edge and I have managed to do this on previous cars and to be fair, when you are checking in and out of hotels at the rate I do with luggage, it's hard not to. On top of this I have noticed that the paint on the car does seem rather "soft".

So how to protect this?

I have seen some protection stips on eBay which appear to be stainless steel which stick on and look like they could do the job but are there any better option? What do other owners do?

What is my best option to protect the top edge of my bumper when lifting heavy items in and out of the boot in the dark and the rain?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkguy View Post
Whilst cleaning my E91 tonight, I noticed quite a deep scuff mark on my rear bumper where I think I must have caught it over the last couple of weeks whilst lugging a case in or out of the boot. It's on the top edge and I have managed to do this on previous cars and to be fair, when you are checking in and out of hotels at the rate I do with luggage, it's hard not to. On top of this I have noticed that the paint on the car does seem rather "soft".

So how to protect this?

I have seen some protection stips on eBay which appear to be stainless steel which stick on and look like they could do the job but are there any better option? What do other owners do?

What is my best option to protect the top edge of my bumper when lifting heavy items in and out of the boot in the dark and the rain?

on all of the tourings we've had (4 in total) i have always put a clear sticky film thing where the dogs used to clamber in and out

stealers always sorted it
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
ZuerstBMW
‘Viva Espaρa!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

3m sells a clear film made for that as well.
      01-27-2008, 03:19 AM   #4
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Does it come of again once it gets old and worn looking?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Does it come of again once it gets old and worn looking?
I think that's my concern as well.

OK sticking something on but if it starts to look tatty after a few months and is stick on hard then it will look even worse.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 07:03 AM   #6
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Go here. In "Keyword Search" enter "sill protective mat" and press GO.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
yeah paintshield type stuff WILL come off with some judicious care.

Doesn't yellow either and is very strong

SJ
      01-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
I went for the luggage compartment pack with mine, which when you reverse the liftable boot section has a sheet attached that you can extend out over the bumper to avoid scratching.

I can't see it in the accessory catalogue as a seperate item though. All I can see it what seems to be a reference to a stick on sill protector in black or silver.

On realOEM this might be of interest :http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=51&fg=95

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #9
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Now I have seen that but it's no good (plus it is $251!!!).

Example

I have my hands full, it's dark, it's raining and what I am carrying is heavy.

I arrive at the back of the car, manage to lift the boot lid and slip the items inside. With the mat option, I would then need to put down the things I am carrying before first folding out that cover thing.

The same problem would arise when taking stuff out of the car. It's already a pain having to pull down the retractable cover when I have done never mind having to fold that back in as well.

Hence the reason for something that protects the lip 24x7.

The 3M stuff mentioned earlier looks good (google found a couple of UK suppliers) but it's not cheap but if it lasts then it certainly looks like the way to go although I am not going to go as far as one site suggeted which seemed to cover every sill and leading edge (including the bonnet) with the stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
the 3m film is the way to go !!!