BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

About radio choices

I hope that everyone is enjoying the weekend (specially those who already have the M3).

I need to choose the radio options and I am really confused. I don't want to be ordering things I won't use. I have rented cars with sirrus radio and works fine, but I know there is a monthly fee. Right?

And the HD radio? It hasn't been a very popular thing. Seems that the quality is not very good.

And the other question is if I can eventually buy the ipod adapter as an accessory, after buying the car.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Audio choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
I hope that everyone is enjoying the weekend (specially those who already have the M3).

I need to choose the radio options and I am really confused. I don't want to be ordering things I won't use. I have rented cars with sirrus radio and works fine, but I know there is a monthly fee. Right?

And the HD radio? It hasn't been a very popular thing. Seems that the quality is not very good. And the other question is if I can eventually buy the ipod adapter as an accessory, after buying the car.
I'm getting HD radio, though I haven't experienced it. Could be one of those things that never takes hold, but it is being heavily promoted now.

As far as the iPod adapter, I'm sure it will be available. You can get it for the 3 Series for $320.

"Integrates the Apple iPod into the BMW audio system and allows you to control and listen to your iPod music collection by using the vehicle's radio and steering wheel controls. Adapter also charges the iPod's internal battery when the vehicle is running.

Not in conjunction with the 6-disc CD Changer and factory installed USB/iPod Interface. Price is the suggested retail price and is subject to change. Price excludes installation and taxes. Additional parts may be required."

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I have Sirrius in my E36 M3. I got it as an add on to my Alpine head unit. Sirrius is great and I really stopped to listening to anything else including CD's once I found the channels I liked. But then I added the IPOD adapter to my head unit and I found I only listened to that even thought I will still paying $12/mo for Sirrius. I plan on passing up the Sat radio option on the new M3 and sticking my an Ipod interface...

Jason
      01-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
I just got a '07 X5 that came with HD radio and Sirius (the car was already configured this way). The HD radio is much better than I thought it would be. The sound quality was noticeably better. My other car has XM radio and so far I like XM a bit better but they (XM and Sirius) are more similar than different.

I added the ipod adapter. In the X5, there are a couple of differences between the factory and dealer installed options. The factory ipod also allows you to have a USB port and the ipod lives in the center armrest. The dealer installed ipod lives in the glove compartment and doesn't have a USB port. Compared to my wife's 335 vert (factory ipod adapter), the idrive interface is a little better in the factory version, specifically that playlists are easier to get at.

For my M3, I'm probably going with the factory ipod and HD radio. Still on the fence about Sirius and premium sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Thank you for the answers.

Can you talk about your experience with HD radio? Has digital quality?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
ObD
Rep
Drives: -

Depends on your listening preferences.

1. Get the factory 6FL iPod/USB option if you have any interest - the dealer add on iPod option is less functional
2. If you want Sirius, order it from the factory. It's a bit more expensive if dealer installed and there is the hassle of having the car being reprogrammed for up to a day.
3. If you don't listen to AM/FM much, I'd say skip the HD radio.

My preferences:

1. USB
2. Sirius
3. CD
4. Terrestrial Raido
5. HD Terrestrial Radio
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Not sure that the radio has digital (CD) quality but it is noticeably better than regular radio. There are also second stations for many of the stations although it's a bit clunky to get to them. You have to tune into the station and then use the arrow buttons - the problem is that you have to do this in manual mode rather than through a preset. In any case, I was impressed enough to put it on my list of options. I also would go with the factory ipod/sirius if you are going that route.

One last thing, at least for me Sirius has more intermittent cut outs than XM in my area. I like XM a bit better but my wife likes Sirius - depends on your preferences in music.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post

And the HD radio? It hasn't been a very popular thing. Seems that the quality is not very good.

And the other question is if I can eventually buy the ipod adapter as an accessory, after buying the car.

Thank you.
If cost is an issue, just get the iPod adapter as a factory option. If cost is not an issue get everything, including the M-Audio.

Sirius and HD Radio play deeply compressed music, so unless you get a sound system that can trick you into feeling that that music sounds good, it will be a waste of money ($950 both) getting all those digital add ons, IMO. At least with the iPod you can play lossless music if you want to and the standard sytem will handle that pretty good...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #9
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Does anyone know if the Sirius module can be owner installed. I assume it's just a module that can be plugged into the exsisting system. The price from the factory is absurd.