THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Plasti-dip and clear wraps

03-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

Plasti-dip and clear wraps

Hi all,

whats your opinion on clear wrapping or plasti-dipping the car? does it actually help protect the paint? Does it need to be renewed often? How much does it cost? I do NOT like the front-only clear bra because of the ungodly seam that it produces but I have been thinking of whole car wrap. If I wrap the whole car, does it cause long term issues to the paint/clearcoat? Anyone in the forums got a wrapped car who can give me some insight?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidu View Post
Hi all,

whats your opinion on clear wrapping or plasti-dipping the car? does it actually help protect the paint? Does it need to be renewed often? How much does it cost? I do NOT like the front-only clear bra because of the ungodly seam that it produces but I have been thinking of whole car wrap. If I wrap the whole car, does it cause long term issues to the paint/clearcoat? Anyone in the forums got a wrapped car who can give me some insight?

Thanks in advance!
I had Xpel clear film applied and can assure you that the seam with that product is far from your description because of the product's unusual clarity...superior to 3M's best. Warranty is also double 3M at 10 years. There are times when washing the car when I have to stand and look from different angles to even find the seam (yes, 20/20 vision). If you are still uncomfortable with that, you still don't need to do the whole car. You can do the whole hood and front fenders. You won't be able to tell the difference to the doors.

The film is highly protective, permanent, and self-healing. The half hood treatment and full front, all lamps, and mirror caps was $1100. It's worth taking another look before wrapping the entire car for about three to four times the cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

Man, you are going to make me spend money........ Thank you though for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidu View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I did a full front wrap from XPel and love it. The wrap is insanely thin and clear. The work and the wrap itself comes with long warranties. As bubble work themselves out, the installer readdresses until it reaches perfection. Most cannot tell it has a wrap even up close - you really have to inspect the corners to notice anything is there. The seams are very small as well, it is just so thin! If it really worries you, just take some Q-tips and quick detailer to run along the edge, should pick up any leftover wax/sealant. If you go XPel, do it sooner than later, don't let the road damage hit the car before the protection does!
      03-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Sounds great! More questions:

How does it affect cleaning the car?

After a few years do you see a difference between the wrapped and unwrapped panels, especially if you wax?
      03-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfordbay View Post
Sounds great! More questions:

How does it affect cleaning the car?

After a few years do you see a difference between the wrapped and unwrapped panels, especially if you wax?
Well Xpel is self healing so there is no point on polishing....
You just wash, clay, sealant and wax on top....

This Xpel stuff is pretty good I can't tell any difference after 1 year
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Here's the web link to give you an estimate on cost. Remember you have to add the labor cost too. That is what you and the authorized installer will agree on plus actual material cost. Someone had piped up around $1100. That sounds about right with material and product.

https://www.xpel.com/products/paint_...e=4&model=3812
      03-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I second XPEL Ultimate. Just got it done on my front bumper and headlights. You REALLY have to be looking for it in order to spot it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
jradon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2series

Plastidip is worth trying especially if you want to change the look of your car. It's not pricey and you can always go back to stock look.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #10
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Third, for Xpel ultimate, I ended up opting for the full wrap, front, fenders, hood. If you have any dings on the front, grab a dr color chip system to blend in the oem color before it is applied. Makes a big difference

http://www.drcolorchip.com/

I can't wait to give my car a proper hand wash once all this snow is melted so i can detail the crap out of it.

in terms of cleaning the area with Xpel, it's business as usual with microfiber cloths. But here are some other facts from Xpel.

-Wait 48 hours after installation to wash your car.

-Remove insect or other stains as soon as possible with bug and tar remover.

-Stubborn stains can be removed with 99% isopropyl alcohol or lacquer thinner. Take care to keep these chemicals off the vehicle’s paint! --I would opt for isopropyl alchohol over laquer thinner in a rag for a quick cleanup.

- Do NOT wipe or scrub the film in direct sunlight or when the film is hot
- Do NOT use abrasive cleaners on the film
- Do NOT use dyed or colored car waxes on the film

- Seal with XPEL Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Sealant at least once every 3 months to preserve high gloss
--Any high quality paint sealant will do. I use wolfgang deep gloss 3.0 currently.

Last edited by zipphreak; 03-12-2015 at 06:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
n0va
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

I had plasti-dipped my old Chrysler 300C it was stock silver, a buddy of mine has a dip shop out here so he was using my car as a demo to show people. It protects the paint entirely, and if you want to take it off, it's as simple as it shows on their videos, just a little time, and it peels right off. Here's a pic of it dipped.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Who is a good installer in the LA area?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
maroquin@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: C300S

Nice paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0va View Post
I had plasti-dipped my old Chrysler 300C it was stock silver, a buddy of mine has a dip shop out here so he was using my car as a demo to show people. It protects the paint entirely, and if you want to take it off, it's as simple as it shows on their videos, just a little time, and it peels right off. Here's a pic of it dipped.
Nova, do you happen to have more pictures of the 300, especially from the rear? I plan on dipping mine the same with different colors.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #14
n0va
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

For sure man, here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroquin@gmail.com View Post
Nova, do you happen to have more pictures of the 300, especially from the rear? I plan on dipping mine the same with different colors.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0