BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 is 9 Months from Production. Specs Locked In?

03-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

M2 is 9 Months from Production. Specs Locked In?

As the title suggests, anyone know how far along the M2 really is (aside from the obvious in the proto and earlier mule pics)? Curious for feedback from anyone with engineering experience or insight into the process. Is the car now locked in in terms of design, specs, options, etc? Specific example...we've not seen a CF roof yet either by design (they'll spring it on us) or omission (because it's too late to engineer this feature in, or too costly to engineer in).

Any thoughts??
      03-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Who knows for sure at this point besides maybe Scott. We'll just have to wait and see.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

All speculation unfortunately Mark. We will really just have to wait and see, likely major items are locked in yes, there's a lot align for production and tooling etc and orders to suppliers. I can't recall when/if the CF roof was revealed on other Ms in the liefecycle or if it was just at the concept launch.
      03-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Technically 8 months now since we are in March. I am sure they have a few more months to iron out all the details.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Only BMW knows, so it's all speculation for us now. Expect more news during the forthcoming weeks and months.

Here's my guess.

If BMW currently develops - or plans to develop - an M2 GTS/CSL (no confirmation though), it wouldn't come as a surprise that some features which could in principle feature on the base M2 - either stock or optional - might be 'reserved' for a more track-oriented, lower weight, M2 GTS/CSL (for example more CF parts, ceramic brakes, roll cage, race seats, etc.). This not only to set the M2 GTS/CSL more apart from the base M2, but also for weight reduction purposes.

I doubt that, as we speak, essential changes will still be made to the 2015 base M2 prototypes (engine, suspension, etc.). As the car is scheduled to go into production this November, and will be presented earlier, we may reasonably assume that the car is currently heading into its final winter testing and fine-tuning stage. Springtime will include further testing and fine-tuning.

Let's not forget that, apart from the vehicle development itself, the release of a new vehicle involves a lot more than designing, engineering and road testing (final drawings, approval, crash tests, parts identification, contracts with parts suppliers, preparing production lines, preparing manuals, technical training and guidelines, preparing option packages and pricing, preparing press materials, photo shoots, etc.).

Nevertheless, also during a late stage, non-fundamental changes can still be implemented. For example, one of the final tweaks to the unusually fast developed 1M (basic idea in Summer 2009 - production in Spring 2011), consisted of implementing the ActiveE headlights (featuring the Life Cycle Impulse LED stripe/eyebrow). During the 1M teaser presentation at Oktoberfest 2010 (August 2010), the 1M on display still did not feature that change, but a subtle change was announced (without specifying that it concerned the headlights) ("Some minor detail in the revealed area of the [1M] will be changed. Bimmerfile suggests it's related to the headlights" - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424637). None of the 1M spy shots I know of, featured 1M side mirrors, 1M headlights and 1M tail lights.

I expect the M2 to also get hallmark ///M side mirrors and ///M alloys, and maybe also double slat kidney grilles.

Name:  BMW_1M_Oktoberfest.jpg
Views: 3467
Size:  72.8 KB
      03-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I've got a crystal ball and take paypal.

Patience grasshopper...as much as that sucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I've got a crystal ball and take paypal.

Patience grasshopper...as much as that sucks.
Yup...lol.

Artemis...thanks, interesting 1M info as to what came later on in the development cycle and made it to production.
      03-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Oops, replied to wrong post
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I doubt that, as we speak, essential changes will still be made to the 2015 base M2 prototypes (engine, suspension, etc.). As the car is scheduled to go into production this November, and will be presented earlier, we may reasonably assume that the car is currently heading into its final winter testing and fine-tuning stage. Springtime will include further testing and fine-tuning.
I agree with this as it is my sentiment as well. I imagine that we are close to seeing the final car. Things like CF roof or non-essential items could still change but I believe that the car is almost production ready.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Soon, very soon.....
      03-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Well I hope they build in Blind Spot Assist - across the whole 2 line and just not this car. I just realized today that it hasn't ever been available for the 2 series. That's just ridiculous. I've had it in the last 7 or so of my vehicles and while I seldom use it/need it, it's nice to have a 2nd set of eyes looking over your shoulder, especially at highway speeds. Versus the life-saving "park assist" option that they do offer...to help us all out with those hazardous 5km/hr maneuvers in the Walmart parking lot. WTF is BMW thinking? To be honest, Blind Spot Assist has helped me out a few times over the years. I don't expect "park assist" would be able to do the same and if it did, I'd be too embarrassed to admit it. WTF is BMW thinking? Sorry, said that already. I really hope it's on the '16 options list for the entire 2 series, not just the M2.

Yes, this was a rant. It's ended now.
      03-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ it is like Apple vs Samsung. Apple, a positioned as a luxury brand like BMW, is focused on different things than Samsung. As such, they are slow when it comes to making features standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #13
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Well I hope they build in Blind Spot Assist - across the whole 2 line and just not this car. I just realized today that it hasn't ever been available for the 2 series. That's just ridiculous. I've had it in the last 7 or so of my vehicles and while I seldom use it/need it, it's nice to have a 2nd set of eyes looking over your shoulder, especially at highway speeds. Versus the life-saving "park assist" option that they do offer...to help us all out with those hazardous 5km/hr maneuvers in the Walmart parking lot. WTF is BMW thinking? To be honest, Blind Spot Assist has helped me out a few times over the years. I don't expect "park assist" would be able to do the same and if it did, I'd be too embarrassed to admit it. WTF is BMW thinking? Sorry, said that already. I really hope it's on the '16 options list for the entire 2 series, not just the M2.

Umm....I am totally confused by this? Did I miss something?...are we still talking about the M2?...I am hoping the less the better.....
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #14
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
Umm....I am totally confused by this? Did I miss something?...are we still talking about the M2?...I am hoping the less the better.....
I disagree in that we should have the optional equipment available for the ///M2 vs. being able to get a stripped down version. I need the creature comforts in DD mode...who cares that the car may be 5 seconds slower around the track...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I disagree in that we should have the optional equipment available for the ///M2 vs. being able to get a stripped down version. I need the creature comforts in DD mode...who cares that the car may be 5 seconds slower around the track...
Agree completely. Don't want it, don't order it. Bemo, you probably meant to say ".05 seconds slower" or thereabouts. You'd need the weight of another car on the roof of an M to slow it down by 5 seconds lol.

And c'mon Reedomn How many grams or ounces would "Blindspot Assist" add to the car? Let's be realistic please, it's not like BMW is hiding a pair of Panavision cameras somewhere under the metal or in the mirrors to achieve what BA does.
      03-02-2015, 03:22 AM   #16
Wilson
Private
Rep
Drives: broken down

As much as I hate to say it, but anyone who is holding out for a CF roof needs to accept that there wont be one on the 'standard' M2.

There would have already been a mule with one on it before now, its far too late in the development cycle to throw one on now.

If you want a CF roof, you better pray for a GTS version in 2 - 3 years time.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

While I agree that it should be an option and let people choose (I'd skip), if your mirrors are set properly, there's really no need for it. My 2 cents

And yes, I think everything is locked in. It's already March. There's going to be nothing that drastically different than we've seen on some of these test cars (the proper ones, not the M235i racing wannabes)
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I care. Not because I will race it (anytime soon, at least). But I do plan to drive the snot out of it on a track regularly. (and 5 seconds is a really long time... lol) What's wrong with having equipment optional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
As much as I hate to say it, but anyone who is holding out for a CF roof needs to accept that there wont be one on the 'standard' M2.
I am still holding out hope for a CF roof. I think it would be a mistake for BMW to skip this... it would signify both a concerted effort to "down-market" the M2 from the M3/4, and a total fail on taking weight savings seriously - which should be, more so than on any other they've built in recent history, a focal point on the M2.
This would make me seriously question the performance standards to which they designed this car overall.

Last edited by DVC; 03-02-2015 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #19
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I am still holding out hope for a CF roof. I think it would be a mistake for BMW to skip this... it would signify both a concerted effort to "down-market" the M2 from the M3/4, and a total fail on taking weight savings seriously with this car - which should be, more so than on any other they've built in recent history, a focal point on the M2.
This would make me seriously question the performance standards to which they designed this car overall.
This^^^^^
      03-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I care. Not because I will race it (anytime soon, at least). But I do plan to drive the snot out of it on a track regularly. (and 5 seconds is a really long time... lol) What's wrong with having equipment optional?

I am still holding out hope for a CF roof. I think it would be a mistake for BMW to skip this... it would signify both a concerted effort to "down-market" the M2 from the M3/4, and a total fail on taking weight savings seriously with this car - which should be, more so than on any other they've built in recent history, a focal point on the M2.
Yup agreed.
      03-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #21
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Agree completely. Don't want it, don't order it. Bemo, you probably meant to say ".05 seconds slower" or thereabouts. You'd need the weight of another car on the roof of an M to slow it down by 5 seconds lol.

And c'mon Reedomn How many grams or ounces would "Blindspot Assist" add to the car? Let's be realistic please, it's not like BMW is hiding a pair of Panavision cameras somewhere under the metal or in the mirrors to achieve what BA does.
Agreed, it should be an option, as all other gizmos, if folks want them.
An ///M2 will be neither the cheapest, nor the fastest way to go around a track. It's a compromise no matter how it will be sliced, therefore there isn't a need for either extreme to be available over the other...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #22
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Quote:
Agreed, it should be an option, as all other gizmos, if folks want them.
An ///M2 will be neither the cheapest, nor the fastest way to go around a track. It's a compromise no matter how it will be sliced, therefore there isn't a need for either extreme to be available over the other...
Dang......I didn't know M stood for mediocre .......
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0