BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

They Fit... 265/35 and 325/30

I went for tire test fitment this morning. 10x19 front and 11x19 rear wheels. First tried 295/30 front and 325/30 rear R888 tires on the wheels. The rears fit barely but they did, under compression, they'll tuck inside. The fronts did not sticking out 1/4" or slightly less. Front tires will fit but needs 0.5 to 0.7 more negative camber. Once the camber plates become available, they maybe the setup to go with, particularly with the Swift springs I am thinking about.

So, for now I'll be going with 265/35 front and keeping the rear 325/30, let's see how well they perform; first series of events are in mid-March (if spring comes at all of course).

First three pics are of the fronts and last two are of the rears:
Attached Images

Last edited by FTS; 04-05-2015 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Thanks for the fitment info and congrats on finalizing your wheel/tire selection! Your M4 is going to be a beast at the track with r888's and CCB's!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Drive4Fun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW BMW M4

Do you still have the stock suspension? Also what offsets did you go with? Traction should be crazy good! Any test runs?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Thanks for the fitment info and congrats on finalizing your wheel/tire selection! Your M4 is going to be a beast at the track with r888's and CCB's!!
Thanks. Its been a long while trying to figure out which wheels to get, tire choices, sizes, etc.; and then ordering and waiting... I was anxious to do fitment test with the tires, now at least I know what will and will not work.

I am also anxious to find out more about the CCBs at the track. Lots of questions marks, few answers at this time, but by the end of April I should have data on how things work at autoxes and the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive4Fun View Post
Do you still have the stock suspension? Also what offsets did you go with? Traction should be crazy good! Any test runs?
Stock suspension, offsets I +29 front and +44 rear. I am not a drag racer, so I won't be doing much of any launches. However, at the track I expect mild understeer after mid-corner with this much stagger between front and rear. I have a lot to learn about the car and some understeer won't hurt initially. I'll run through these tires pretty fast initially and at least I'll have some real data to see what the next setup will need to be.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Tried new front tires, 265/35/19s, and they fit pretty well, but it is cutting close with the 35 section to the bottom of the inner fender (not top) when in full lock towards the outside, may be 2-3 mm clearance without any shaving. We'll be shaving down to 4 or 5/32nd anyway, so this should be good to go for first tests on track.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 12:22 AM   #6
Flying Low
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3, 2003 M3, 2015 M4

I am running 285/30X18 ET26mm (Apex EC-7 18X10 ET43mm with 17mm spacers) R6 Hoosiers on the front of my M4. (Rear is same wheel (ET43) with 295/30X18 R7 tires.) I have 3/32 clearance between adaptive suspension front strut and tire side wall. Did two track days a week ago and had no rubbing anywhere. But this is a small diameter tire. Even with these tires I was longing for camber plates. I explained to Kmac why their F30 camber plates would not work and they should be coming out with something for the M3-M4 very soon. Also been talking to TC Kline and he will have something soon as well.
Terry
      03-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #7
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo flyn View Post
I am running 285/30X18 ET26mm (Apex EC-7 18X10 ET43mm with 17mm spacers) R6 Hoosiers on the front of my M4. (Rear is same wheel (ET43) with 295/30X18 R7 tires.) I have 3/32 clearance between adaptive suspension front strut and tire side wall. Did two track days a week ago and had no rubbing anywhere. But this is a small diameter tire. Even with these tires I was longing for camber plates. I explained to Kmac why their F30 camber plates would not work and they should be coming out with something for the M3-M4 very soon. Also been talking to TC Kline and he will have something soon as well.
Terry
Thank you Terry for the information. 30 section tires certainly make a difference. There are no R888s between 265 and 295 unfortunately, so I am looking forward to the camber plates. Until then this will be good to collect data I think.

Also, you are right, there is quite a bit of room between tire and adaptive struts, probably ~10 mm at least.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Thanks. Its been a long while trying to figure out which wheels to get, tire choices, sizes, etc.; and then ordering and waiting... I was anxious to do fitment test with the tires, now at least I know what will and will not work.

I am also anxious to find out more about the CCBs at the track. Lots of questions marks, few answers at this time, but by the end of April I should have data on how things work at autoxes and the track.

Stock suspension, offsets I +29 front and +44 rear. I am not a drag racer, so I won't be doing much of any launches. However, at the track I expect mild understeer after mid-corner with this much stagger between front and rear. I have a lot to learn about the car and some understeer won't hurt initially. I'll run through these tires pretty fast initially and at least I'll have some real data to see what the next setup will need to be.

Did you have any trouble finding wheels that will clear the CCB's?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4ZING View Post
Did you have any trouble finding wheels that will clear the CCB's?
Not really. I did have difficulty in finding high quality ones that would be durable, prevent tires rotating around the wheels and price to fit my budget. Otherwise Velos, Forgeline have wheels, but not ones that would check all my boxes. CCW is very easy to work with, they'll customize to your liking, you won't break the bank and they last many years
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Tires shaved, re-balanced and finally put all wheels on the car today, with my son and drove it 15-17 mi. on the road, and the car's feel improved significantly, the whole thing feels right somehow. The real first test is this weekend, HPDC for my son, Instructor Clinic for me

The pics are not quite clear, but there is a lotta tire under there:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Drive4Fun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looking nice for sure. Can't wait for your review. I'm sure the pics doesn't do the them justice.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 12:46 AM   #12
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

The first shakedown test went well past weekend. I did not get to really drive it, but my son drove the car with this setup during his first introductory HPDE. He was certainly fast in his group, but barely generated over 1G cornering, although he reached over 100 mph on the front straight of this very short 1.7 mile track, which is an achievement.

As for tires, even though we shaved it to 5/32nds, there was very slight rubbing on all four corners which shaved another 1/2 mm off the tires Nothing to be concerned about at this time, but will of course keep a very close eye on them during my first event in two weeks. If there is further rubbing even after more use, I will have to go with 265/30 front and 305/30 rear tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #13
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Second shake-down:

This time I went to NCC's autox test and tune. Medium size lot, but moderately tight course (~40-48 sec.), very dusty surface too. Terrible weather, sunny 32 degF, 20 mph sustained winds gusting to 30-35 mph, windchill: 15-20 degF.

I started the tires at 30 psi cold and the tires never reached 32 psi after the runs. It was just slippery and R888s really did not work well at all. But I really had fun slipping and sliding around. The tires did not roll, for this occasion camber was enough up front. And most importantly, there was no rubbing at all in any of the corners.

I don't know what to make of much of what I have experienced, I really do not know the car much yet. I was really expecting the car to have mild to moderate understeer with this stagger, and thinking that is a good thing as I am learning the car. The car just did not have any understeer, and this was a tight course, sharp turns, half-boxes, slaloms, etc. The tail was as happy as you would want it to be and may be a tad too much even.

The fronts gained 1.3 psi and rears 0.5 psi. So, I am thinking at the track I will start with same cold pressures front and rear, and allow the fronts to gain 2 more psi than rears, and I'll see how the car feels with that setup.

Overall, the car felt agile, toss-able and the power was so useful in steering through all the gates. I just did not want to run cleanly, it was so much fun just slipping and sliding around.

One last unexpected note: the steering felt great. Quick turns, self-centering tire torque could be felt and it was so easy to go lock-to-lock, it was a joy; just superb! Hopefully it will feel the same way at the track next week
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #14
Drive4Fun
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah I would say that's some terrible weather. I would imagine once things heat up, the outside temp and tires alike, the car will gain a lot more grip and handle more like you expected. Great news on the steering feel tho. Seems the psi didn't really increase that much. Did you have a chance to take any tire temps between runs? You still have the 325's on the rear?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #15
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive4Fun View Post
Yeah I would say that's some terrible weather. I would imagine once things heat up, the outside temp and tires alike, the car will gain a lot more grip and handle more like you expected. Great news on the steering feel tho. Seems the psi didn't really increase that much. Did you have a chance to take any tire temps between runs? You still have the 325's on the rear?
I did not take temps, the TPMS showed 50s on all four, slightly higher in the front. Still 325s, they look so oversized on the car

Photographs by Eric Hall.
Attached Images

Last edited by FTS; 03-29-2015 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #16
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

After the first track event, I am happy to report there was no rubbing at all. The track I was at (Summit Point Main) is notoriously hard on front left tires, however the tires did not roll, but there was some graining of the front left on the inner half of it. I suspect that is due to long braking distance into turn 1 and trailing the brakes a little longer than I should have. The front right was fine and it looks like I could have reduced its pressures a little more.

Also you can see the front/rear stagger in the last picture better with the last picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
David0ff1055.00
      04-06-2015, 08:31 AM   #17
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

OP: I noticed you were waiting for camber plates to be available for our cars. TC Kline told me he can sell just the camber plates. You'll have to call TC for pricing as I don't want to misquote it.
      04-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #18
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Thank you JNoSol, I need to do couple of more track days to see how the tires are working, then I'll probably do the camber plates. Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #19
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS
Thank you JNoSol, I need to do couple of more track days to see how the tires are working, then I'll probably do the camber plates. Thank you again.
Do you have EDC?
      04-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #20
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

FTS - How do you feel about increasing the stagger so much? I was looking originally to put 265/305 on my new wheels but was concerned over the extra 20mm stagger and understeer.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #21
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
FTS - How do you feel about increasing the stagger so much? I was looking originally to put 265/305 on my new wheels but was concerned over the extra 20mm stagger and understeer.
That would also be my concern as the F8x is pretty well balanced the way it comes from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I had the same thoughts, but since the car is new to me, not to mention my first front-engine rear-drive platform, some understeer would be safe was my rationalization. I really did not feel any understeer in entry of corners, nor at the exit. The throttle response is so good that I could steer it with the rear at the exit with relative ease. However, I was relatively slow and inconsistent with my driving, so should reserve judgement until I can get up to speed At this time, it all felt pretty good, no intention to change in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
That would also be my concern as the F8x is pretty well balanced the way it comes from the factory.
I am not sure about the 'balance' frankly. Factory setup seems overly tail-happy to me, although these tires are proving me wrong. Once I am running at decent speeds, I'll know better if the setup works for me or not, and if not, how to change it. I am hoping that I am wrong and tires alone may fix the tail-happiness, wouldn't life be sweet that way
Appreciate 1