E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Dealer unable to update Maps and Bluetooth on a 2010 328i convertible

02-24-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
Jacek 328
Rep
Drives: 328i convertible

Question Dealer unable to update Maps and Bluetooth on a 2010 328i convertible

I wanted to update the maps on my car. They were 2009 version. I checked on the BMW website my VIN number and was directed by the website to the local dealer in Northern California to buy the required 2015 discs. I placed the order at the dealer and waited for their arrival a few days.

I paid for them when they came in and was told to place them in the disc reader and update. I tried it before leaving in the parking lot. Didn't work. Back to the parts guy, who called the mechanic and the whole exercise started again. There was a lot of head scratching and discussion as to where the hard drive was and whether I needed the USB disk rather than the discs to update. Long story short, I left the car at the dealer to upgrade the Maps- whichever method worked and update the Bluetooth as well.

I asked about updating the iDrive, my car is a 2010 328i Convertible, and was told that an update May disable remote top operation(!). I was confused, told them I did not want to lose any functionality currently available. Just install the maps and Bluetooth.
Well two days later I took the car back from the dealer. They could not update maps or the bluetooth. Big discussion of whether the 'head module' (?) is faulty or they need the trouble shooter from BMW to come in from the factory to check what is the problem... I am still waiting for them to call me to schedule the meeting with with the factory rep.

Has anyone experienced such problem before?
I am dumbfounded at the factory mechanics not being able to service a fairly new vehicle.

Thanks for any suggestions.

- This post was moved from another thread..

Last edited by Jacek 328; 02-24-2015 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
What discs did they give you? Was it a two disc set and it says "North America Professional" on them?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
Jacek 328
Rep

I bought two disk set; one for Eastern US and one for Western. They came as a package to the dealer. They were the Professional version.

Out the door the price was $212.
Dealer refunded me the cost of disks after the fiasco with the installation.

Any suggestions?

What is the possibility that the "Head-in" unit needs to be replaced to install the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek 328
I bought two disk set; one for Eastern US and one for Western. They came as a package to the dealer. They were the Professional version.

Out the door the price was $212.
Dealer refunded me the cost of disks after the fiasco with the installation.

Any suggestions?

What is the possibility that the "Head-in" unit needs to be replaced to install the upgrade?
Does your original disks work? If so, it's not your HU.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
Jacek 328
Rep

Thanks for the follow up. I don't have the original disk. The car cam e pre-loaded with the maps when I bought it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the follow up. I don't have the original disk. The car cam e pre-loaded with the maps when I bought it.
Since you have a 2010, you should have the CIC v/s CCC, so you need NA Premium instead of professional. Surprised the dealer didn't catch that...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy
Quote:
Since you have a 2010, you should have the CIC v/s CCC, so you need NA Premium instead of professional. Surprised the dealer didn't catch that...
Plus 10
      02-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Beat me to it.... Dealership sold you the wrong update. North America Professional is for the CCC unit found in 2005-2008 model 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #9
Jacek 328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Beat me to it.... Dealership sold you the wrong update. North America Professional is for the CCC unit found in 2005-2008 model 3-series.
So, to make the story more interesting; I went back to the dealer on Friday morning, at their invitation to try again. They told me they had problems with their equipment (computer updates) before and now all was working correctly. They offered to try the maps, and bluetooth update, again with no labor charge.

Well, at the end of the day it did not work. They told me that they tried everything and could not install an update of either. Suggested that my -"Head Unit" is at fault (?) and that they will need to replace it at +$1250.
Then they would update the operating system to the latest version, which may disable the 'courtesy feature' of the remote closing and opening of the hardtop(!), apparently this is a no longer supported by BMW ? -Sounds very strange to me that what was a sales feature is now revoked by the same company.

After this update, they would be able to install the maps and Bluetooth updates.

What a story! I find this most frustrating and unbelievable. Although I must say that the dealer has spent now three days trying to work this out?

As for the head unit; the car drives and operates fine and I don't see any issues with the operating system.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
So, to make the story more interesting; I went back to the dealer on Friday morning, at their invitation to try again. They told me they had problems with their equipment (computer updates) before and now all was working correctly. They offered to try the maps, and bluetooth update, again with no labor charge.

Well, at the end of the day it did not work. They told me that they tried everything and could not install an update of either. Suggested that my -"Head Unit" is at fault (?) and that they will need to replace it at +$1250.
Then they would update the operating system to the latest version, which may disable the 'courtesy feature' of the remote closing and opening of the hardtop(!), apparently this is a no longer supported by BMW ? -Sounds very strange to me that what was a sales feature is now revoked by the same company.

After this update, they would be able to install the maps and Bluetooth updates.

What a story! I find this most frustrating and unbelievable. Although I must say that the dealer has spent now three days trying to work this out?

As for the head unit; the car drives and operates fine and I don't see any issues with the operating system.
Shoot me an email at dracon@gmail.com. We can probably get it going for you without requiring all of that mess, if you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
nyc4runnin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek 328 View Post

wow ..... all u need is a FSC code and the map updates on a USB stick. I would return those discs to the dealer and demand full refund. obviously your SA does not know what he/she's doing...

FYI FSC code can be purchased from people on this forum for much cheaper than what the dealer charges ...

Its sad when the people on this forum know more about the car than the people at the dealership and service dept ...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
Jacek 328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4runnin View Post
wow ..... all u need is a FSC code and the map updates on a USB stick. I would return those discs to the dealer and demand full refund. obviously your SA does not know what he/she's doing...

FYI FSC code can be purchased from people on this forum for much cheaper than what the dealer charges ...

Its sad when the people on this forum know more about the car than the people at the dealership and service dept ...
Apparently not that simple. The dealer did try it.
I found out from this forum, through some good people, that the problem may be the originally installed software (2009) Which has a bug that prevents upgrades to individual components of the system like Navigation and Bluetooth. The only way to fix it is to replace/upgrade the system. Then the upgrades like Navigation can be performed.
The upgrade does not allow some of the special operating functions to be installed. Those can be installed separately after the system upgrade. Their installation requires someone with coding knowledge to do this.

This was a big learning experience.
I think I will be back to the dealer to upgrade/replace the operating system and follow up with maps and remote operation of the top, if it becomes disabled by the upgrade..
Fun never stops..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #13
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4runnin View Post

Actually, he needs more than that. After speaking with him and checking out the vehicle. His vehicle was built between 09/09 and 03/10 and has never had the software updated.

There's a known bug in the iDrive firmware for vehicles built between those dates and even if they did give him the right USB stick and FSC code, he'd run into a problem where the iDrive would abort the update at 93.7% and complain that the media was bad. Only known remedy is to have the iDrive system updated with any version of ISTA/P later than 03/10 to resolve the issue.

But if that occurs and he receives the most recent update to the vehicle (since ISTA/P will update *everything*), he'll most likely lose the remote top features that were available by default in the older versions of the CAS and NFRM hardware and he'd require a coder to reenable those features.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #14
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Hijacking the thread

Quote:
Actually, he needs more than that. After speaking with him and checking out the vehicle. His vehicle was built between 09/09 and 03/10 and has never had the software updated.

There's a known bug in the iDrive firmware for vehicles built between those dates and even if they did give him the right USB stick and FSC code, he'd run into a problem where the iDrive would abort the update at 93.7% and complain that the media was bad. Only known remedy is to have the iDrive system updated with any version of ISTA/P later than 03/10 to resolve the issue.

But if that occurs and he receives the most recent update to the vehicle (since ISTA/P will update *everything*), he'll most likely lose the remote top features that were available by default in the older versions of the CAS and NFRM hardware and he'd require a coder to reenable those features.
Dracon, I rented a 2014 528 from Avis last weekend. The SAT radio was not activated, but I have the Sirius App on my Blackberry Classic. I streamed it and noticed that it shows the title information on the Idrive screen. Yet it doesn't provide this info on my 2011 e92 or 2013 e70.

Question, is that solely a function of the new Idrive systems or can my vehicles receive a software update that will make this possible? Note I get emails and sound perfectly fine, just no info on titles etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan View Post
Dracon, I rented a 2014 528 from Avis last weekend. The SAT radio was not activated, but I have the Sirius App on my Blackberry Classic. I streamed it and noticed that it shows the title information on the Idrive screen. Yet it doesn't provide this info on my 2011 e92 or 2013 e70.

Question, is that solely a function of the new Idrive systems or can my vehicles receive a software update that will make this possible? Note I get emails and sound perfectly fine, just no info on titles etc.
Just talking about when streaming the audio over bluetooth? Or you don't see the titles information when using the built-in Sirius receiver?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #16
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
When streaming. In the BMW I rented, while streaming I could see the titles. But not in the 2011 e92. Is that due to a software update or is it hardware specific? I was wondering alternatively if it could be programmed to simply say "Streaming Bluetooth" or something innocuous instead of the information unvailable, title unavailable.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just talking about when streaming the audio over bluetooth? Or you don't see the titles information when using the built-in Sirius receiver?
This is what I'm talking about
Attached Images

Appreciate 0