THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) HELP: cleaning tips /getting rid of dust. M sport streering wheel cleaning / seats

02-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

HELP: cleaning tips /getting rid of dust. M sport streering wheel cleaning / seats

I have the m sport with black sensatec (non leather seats)

I have been searching the forums for answers but answers are all over the place, some say use this don’t use that. Just looking to narrow down my results.

I'm super paranoid about keeping the interior clean (I don't even drive people in the back seat, not even plain water in the car is allowed lol )

1. I am wondering what is the BEST way to clean the interior from the dust?
I am talking dash board, instrument cluster, gauges, vents, center console, shifter and so on...
I'm assuming some kind of micro cloth with a interior cleaner? What kind of cloth?

2. Also, after some research for the best way to clean the M sport steering wheel it seems like BMW leather cleaner is the way to go to clean the smooth m steering wheel leather...is this still true?
Or is a damp cloth sufficient to keep it clean and feeling/looking new? (will it dry out the leather/needs to be conditioned?)
Are there any better products for the m steering wheel? What kind of cloth should I use?

3. For all around cleaning of the interior I'm leaning towards Mothers' quick interior detailer...hows this product for our interior? on the sensatec and all around the car (panels, dash, seats and LUMBAR support, kick panels)

4. And Last, sensatec is more durable then leather, I would still like to clean it free of dust and condition / keep looking new, what is the best product for the sensatec?

Thank You

Roman
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I have sensatec.
One trick is not only vacuum but also on my wet/dry vacuum I use the blow mode to dislodge dust under seats and hard to reach places.

For products a damp cloth/microfiber is my preferred weekly method,
I had an issue, my drivers seat bottom was turning white from times my clothes were dusty from lawn or construction work. A damp cloth didn't clean the textured sensatec and I though I had worn down the fabric. The products I used that cleaned it up perfect; Zymol Vinyl ( no cleaner in the name $34.00), foam applicator pad, Zymol detail brush (horse hair $10.00)

It's worth reading the ingredient list on the Zymol Vinyl.
I've gone to the BMW natural product line and Zymol line thinking less aggressive ingredients will work best over the long run, just my program.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
tnk210
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman G View Post
I have the m sport with black sensatec (non leather seats)

I have been searching the forums for answers but answers are all over the place, some say use this don’t use that. Just looking to narrow down my results.

I'm super paranoid about keeping the interior clean (I don't even drive people in the back seat, not even plain water in the car is allowed lol )

1. I am wondering what is the BEST way to clean the interior from the dust?
I am talking dash board, instrument cluster, gauges, vents, center console, shifter and so on...
I'm assuming some kind of micro cloth with a interior cleaner? What kind of cloth?

2. Also, after some research for the best way to clean the M sport steering wheel it seems like BMW leather cleaner is the way to go to clean the smooth m steering wheel leather...is this still true?
Or is a damp cloth sufficient to keep it clean and feeling/looking new? (will it dry out the leather/needs to be conditioned?)
Are there any better products for the m steering wheel? What kind of cloth should I use?

3. For all around cleaning of the interior I'm leaning towards Mothers' quick interior detailer...hows this product for our interior? on the sensatec and all around the car (panels, dash, seats and LUMBAR support, kick panels)

4. And Last, sensatec is more durable then leather, I would still like to clean it free of dust and condition / keep looking new, what is the best product for the sensatec?

Thank You

Roman
Honestly, just pick yourself up an interior cleaner and leather conditioner from your favorite brand. Some prefer shiny, some prefer dull so that'll be something you have to consider for some of the plastics. I use micro-fiber towels for all interior cleaning and have never had any issues with some of the big name brands (Mother's, Meguiar's, Adam's). Stay away from ARMOR-ALL.

I currently use the following two items:

Interior:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...iler%E2%84%A2/

For the steering wheel/leather seats:

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...erconditioner/
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Congrats on the car...don't envy our commute. Hard to keep a car nice that way, but it is as it is...you'll enjoy the drive time.

Your request on car detailing and care process, products to use, which is best and how to get it all started is wide open. Your best bet is to go to Autogeek.com...and just get started with tips, videos and process. It's not hard but opinions are as varied as what kind of pizza is best.

But get started with claying....then good base wax layers, and some sacrifice barriers of a spay on wax from Griots or Mothers each week or so. The top sacrifice barriers sprayed on, keeps dust at bay with a smoother surface on paint. Cuts wash time also. The sacrifice spray barriers applied w/ a high quality microfiber cloth keeps your base wax more intact, keeps swirls on/in the wax, not the topcoat.

Of course that's all out the window if you go thru commercial wash bays. Just get started on it...its easier if you keep at it on regular basis. More fun out of the car too when you look back at it in a parking lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
kd0t
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

Like mentioned above stay away from Armor All.

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant - works on pretty much everything except paint, wheels, and windows
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

thanks guys

Im set on Meguiars quick interior detailer for the interior,

But still scared to put anything on the wheel leather. I'll stick to damp cloth for now...

Maybe i'll try this one:
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-leather-ca...productDetails

And ill probably use bmw vinyl care for the sensatec seats or zymol vinyl as recommended.

Thanks

Roman
Appreciate 0