Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

02-12-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
hiimatif
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 MG; Previous: E92 M3

NYC Cops Giving Tints to Out of State Tint Vehicles

So, I just got in from a trip to the city where I was pulled over for having tints. I just picked my F82 up a few weeks ago now and it has some pretty dark tint coming from Cali. The guy had a tint transmitter to calculate what my windows were. I had no idea what they were but apparently they're THREE PERCENT aka dark as eff. I had a medical exemption card on my E92 M3 which I showed to the officer because I haven't gone to the DMV yet to fully register this car in NJ. It's got temps from Cali still. Because it's in limbo and I had medical exemption on my previous vehicle, I thought he'd let me slide. Instead, he STILL gave me the ticket and said that if I remove it before the sun goes down tomorrow and pull up to any precinct in NYC and show an officer that I've done it, they'll make the ticket disappear.

My plan (feel free to comment):

Short term: remove front side window tint completely.

Once it's registered in NJ, I'll go ahead and apply for a medical exemption form again and then get it tinted appropriately. I've had pretty sensitive skin for years, hence the reason for the exemption.

The NYPD officer explained to me that they're really cracking down and have labeled it a hazard to have dark tints. A lot of accidents, etc. I personally think that given my personal situation as explained above, they should've let me slide with a warning perhaps and I could've sorted things in the next few days. BUT it is what is is. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Out of state visitors are exempt from NY law so long as they are abiding by their own state's laws. That's just something I learned while googling the last hour or so. So if I had a medical exemption for my new car, I would've been fine. I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimatif View Post
So, I just got in from a trip to the city where I was pulled over for having tints. I just picked my F82 up a few weeks ago now and it has some pretty dark tint coming from Cali. The guy had a tint transmitter to calculate what my windows were. I had no idea what they were but apparently they're THREE PERCENT aka dark as eff. I had a medical exemption card on my E92 M3 which I showed to the officer because I haven't gone to the DMV yet to fully register this car in NJ. It's got temps from Cali still. Because it's in limbo and I had medical exemption on my previous vehicle, I thought he'd let me slide. Instead, he STILL gave me the ticket and said that if I remove it before the sun goes down tomorrow and pull up to any precinct in NYC and show an officer that I've done it, they'll make the ticket disappear.

My plan (feel free to comment):

Short term: remove front side window tint completely.

Once it's registered in NJ, I'll go ahead and apply for a medical exemption form again and then get it tinted appropriately. I've had pretty sensitive skin for years, hence the reason for the exemption.

The NYPD officer explained to me that they're really cracking down and have labeled it a hazard to have dark tints. A lot of accidents, etc. I personally think that given my personal situation as explained above, they should've let me slide with a warning perhaps and I could've sorted things in the next few days. BUT it is what is is. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Out of state visitors are exempt from NY law so long as they are abiding by their own state's laws. That's just something I learned while googling the last hour or so. So if I had a medical exemption for my new car, I would've been fine. I guess.

Eh, NYPD likes to do what they want sometimes, then again I would say anyone driving in NYC with a limo tint is BEGGING to be pulled over. Darkest I would go in the tri-state is 35%.

In the end it sounds like you don't have much to worry about tho, take the tint off, make the ticket "disappear", and then have it re-tinted to something more appropriate for the area.
      02-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
get a PBA card and these bs ticket will disappear

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Tint off and then Tint back on is going to cost more then the tickets, no?

If you plan on reapplying the tint as it currently is then why not just pay the tickets? There are no points involved.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post

If you plan on reapplying the tint as it currently is then why not just pay the tickets? There are no points involved.
+1

tint cost per window, cheapest is $50, ticket is $65, time wasted on removal and reapplying is making not worth the $15 difference

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
hiimatif
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post

+1

tint cost per window, cheapest is $50, ticket is $65, time wasted on removal and reapplying is making not worth the $15 difference
I agree but it took 30 minutes and $40 to get front two windows' tints off. Not so bad. I just don't want the repeated harassing either and I don't know how long it'll take to get the medical exemption again.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

I had 35 percent and was STILL constantly pulled over so i gave in to the man and took them off all my windows. Now in your case yiu have a condition so i would just get that card explaining that medical condition asap.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
get a PBA card and these bs ticket will disappear
big +1
      02-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
AWM3ME2
Keep practicing your almost there....
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
big +1
Unless its highway
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM3ME2 View Post
Unless its highway
especially
      02-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

I just reread the title by the way. . . Free tints for out of state vehicles courtesy of the NYPD!?!?!?!!

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #12
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

NJ is pretty tough on tints too. And although I support enthusiast goals in most other instances I think dark tints endanger police who can't see what you are doing as they approach the side of the vehicle. Would you want to walk up to a blackened rectangle that might have a gun aimed at you? I totally support a ban on tints.

As for your skin I'm pretty certain that you can get a UV blocker that protects you whilst allowing 100% of visible light thru. Oh and sun screen in case you have to get out of the car in the harsh New Jersey sun.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
hiimatif
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck
I just reread the title by the way. . . Free tints for out of state vehicles courtesy of the NYPD!?!?!?!!
Hahaha sorry about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
hiimatif
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598
NJ is pretty tough on tints too. And although I support enthusiast goals in most other instances I think dark tints endanger police who can't see what you are doing as they approach the side of the vehicle. Would you want to walk up to a blackened rectangle that might have a gun aimed at you? I totally support a ban on tints.

As for your skin I'm pretty certain that you can get a UV blocker that protects you whilst allowing 100% of visible light thru. Oh and sun screen in case you have to get out of the car in the harsh New Jersey sun.
I agree that too dark is not safe. As my original post, I admit mine were too dark but just wanted to point out that they're giving out of state cars tickets for that now. That's how the car came and when I do get my medical exemption, I have zero plans of going that dark.

I don't agree with banning tints though I think that going past a certain % is just too dark and that percent should very well be banned, if not for the safety of cops then for pedestrians and other drivers around you.

Also, you're making assumptions about what could work for me without really knowing my medical history / condition. It's a case by case thing and that system functions well as medical professionals evaluate you and help with necessary paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #15
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I agree that too dark is not safe. As my original post, I admit mine were too dark but just wanted to point out that they're giving out of state cars tickets for that now. That's how the car came and when I do get my medical exemption, I have zero plans of going that dark.

I don't agree with banning tints though I think that going past a certain % is just too dark and that percent should very well be banned, if not for the safety of cops then for pedestrians and other drivers around you.
Tint fears have nothing to do with YOUR safety - cops hate tinted side windows because THEY can't see what driver is up to when they pull you over. They are super allergic to side-window tint in NY and NJ, and hand out tint tickets with pleasure. BTDT.

And yes, its NYC.
You will get hassled, and you will have to pay up for the privilege of driving on the city roads. Traffic courts are the city revenue collection agency. Just wait till you start getting bogus red light camera and parking tickets. All cost of doing business.

Welcome to the City.

a
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #16
hiimatif
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:

Tint fears have nothing to do with YOUR safety - cops hate tinted side windows because THEY can't see what driver is up to when they pull you over. They are super allergic to side-window tint in NY and NJ, and hand out tint tickets with pleasure. BTDT.

And yes, its NYC.
You will get hassled, and you will have to pay up for the privilege of driving on the city roads. Traffic courts are the city revenue collection agency. Just wait till you start getting bogus red light camera and parking tickets. All cost of doing business.

Welcome to the City.

a
Been working in the city for 5 years. Lol
Appreciate 0