E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Big thanks - Makkan

02-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #1
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Big thanks - Makkan

Over two years ago I spent a lot of money at Audiofile - http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk

Since then, pretty much every time I have driven my car it's annoyed me that my stereo did not sound as it should. The parts and installation were good, arguably the sub wasn't ideal for my boot and i've changed it and if you are going to fit a digital EQ you should know how to set it up.. but anwyay.

I spent a while trying to sort this myself, but lack of knowledge / time / basis to gauge progress against meant I was unable to do this to the right level.

On thursday I met with Makkan, and in about two hours he was able to fully tune and set everything up, and it now sounds amazing, for the first time in years I take the long way everywhere, just so I can enjoy it.

Mak, I made two minor changes to your config, drop fronts by 1db on the bit-ten and set sub to normal phase, this has made it sound the same as what we sampled when the vehicle was stationary, when moving.. And a tiny bit more bass - overall though I am over the moon..

Thanks Bud
Appreciate 2
Soul_Glo13347.00
      02-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

He does know his stuff!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #3
russ9898
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D LCI E92 Coupe

I hadn't heard of these upgrades before. Could you tell me which upgrade path of theirs you took? Do you have any pics of the door speakers/tweeters. I seriously tempted by this
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
garysan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ9898 View Post
I hadn't heard of these upgrades before. Could you tell me which upgrade path of theirs you took? Do you have any pics of the door speakers/tweeters. I seriously tempted by this
What he said...
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My recommendation would be save yourself 1.5K and buy what Makkan recommends and get him to fit & tune.

For reference, I have the full package, but diff sub than what they recommend.

Focal KRS 100 4" Components
Earthquake Underseats
JL Audio W6 12"
2x JL Audio Amps
1x Bit Ten

There are various options around - perhaps see if you can go to a meet and listen to a few different types, as that way you know what you can have before shelling out.

I think I have spent 3.5K when realistically I only needed to spend around 1.5k-2k? if I had known at the time...

If anyone is reasonably close I'm happy to show you what I have..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWebster View Post
Over two years ago I spent a lot of money at Audiofile - http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk

Since then, pretty much every time I have driven my car it's annoyed me that my stereo did not sound as it should. The parts and installation were good, arguably the sub wasn't ideal for my boot and i've changed it and if you are going to fit a digital EQ you should know how to set it up.. but anwyay.

I spent a while trying to sort this myself, but lack of knowledge / time / basis to gauge progress against meant I was unable to do this to the right level.

On thursday I met with Makkan, and in about two hours he was able to fully tune and set everything up, and it now sounds amazing, for the first time in years I take the long way everywhere, just so I can enjoy it.

Mak, I made two minor changes to your config, drop fronts by 1db on the bit-ten and set sub to normal phase, this has made it sound the same as what we sampled when the vehicle was stationary, when moving.. And a tiny bit more bass - overall though I am over the moon..

Thanks Bud
Thanks mate. Was not expecting a thread for thanks but appreciate your feedback.

Good to hear that you tweaked it bit further.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
He does know his stuff!!!
      02-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
russ9898
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Maybe I've misunderstood their pricing structure but I was under the impression that their system 3 which consists of:

Focal components
JL audio amp
2x 8inch subs

For £1500 fitted? That seemed to represent quite good value for money I thought
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I've misunderstood their pricing structure but I was under the impression that their system 3 which consists of:

Focal components
JL audio amp
2x 8inch subs

For £1500 fitted? That seemed to represent quite good value for money I thought

Top stage from them =
Focal components
JL audio amp x2
2x 8inch subs
1x 13" Sub
1x Bit Ten

Works out at 3k, then factor in buying a different sub, in my case JL Audio W6 £500 inc a stealth enclosure..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
windymissile
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Makkan's had more business than half the south east dealers! Just goes to show what great customer service can do.
If I was a dealer or an indi in that area, Sam would be on the payroll by now! Assuming of course I could afford him.
Top work fella.
WM
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 04:58 AM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
Makkan's had more business than half the south east dealers! Just goes to show what great customer service can do.
If I was a dealer or an indi in that area, Sam would be on the payroll by now! Assuming of course I could afford him.
Top work fella.
WM
Thanks for your kind words mate.
      02-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #11
russ9898
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Mak,

Could you tell me what sort of cost I would be looking at for an audio overhaul?

I currently have BMW HI-FI option with CIC nav on a 2010 LCI E92.

I would like to have the front components upgraded and door cards sound deadened, underseat subs upgrade along with associated amp and processor installed. I have obviously seen the Audiofile upgrade discussed by the OP above, but happy for you to suggest alternative options if you think there is better equipment out there.

I would like to retain OEM looks as much as possible so not interested in having a larger boot mounted sub etc. I am however interested to hear your thoughts on upgrading the rear co-axial speakers at the same time.

Thanks,

Russ
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mak,

Could you tell me what sort of cost I would be looking at for an audio overhaul?

I currently have BMW HI-FI option with CIC nav on a 2010 LCI E92.

I would like to have the front components upgraded and door cards sound deadened, underseat subs upgrade along with associated amp and processor installed. I have obviously seen the Audiofile upgrade discussed by the OP above, but happy for you to suggest alternative options if you think there is better equipment out there.

I would like to retain OEM looks as much as possible so not interested in having a larger boot mounted sub etc. I am however interested to hear your thoughts on upgrading the rear co-axial speakers at the same time.

Thanks,

Russ
Russ
Depends on what you are after.

If you are after sound quality then
MS-8 sound processor
XD 600/6 Amp
Morels door speakers / Gladen kit
Earthquakes under seats / Gladen under seats
Morel or Focal central speaker
BMW logic 7 / individual speakers at rear

This will give you extremely well balanced and quality sound. Better than bmw logic 7.

If you are after SPL (loud sound) then
Audison bit one
and keep the rest of the drivers as they mentioned above.

You can have some idea by looking at the prices of these items that how much will that cost.

HTH.

PS: We have disregarded sub boot.
      02-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Sam,
Need to get down and see you for some TLC to tuning my car soon please.
Let me know your diary for March
      02-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #14
russ9898
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Russ
Depends on what you are after.

If you are after sound quality then
MS-8 sound processor
XD 600/6 Amp
Morels door speakers / Gladen kit
Earthquakes under seats / Gladen under seats
Morel or Focal central speaker
BMW logic 7 / individual speakers at rear

This will give you extremely well balanced and quality sound. Better than bmw logic 7.

If you are after SPL (loud sound) then
Audison bit one
and keep the rest of the drivers as they mentioned above.

You can have some idea by looking at the prices of these items that how much will that cost.

HTH.

PS: We have disregarded sub boot.
Thanks alot for that. Much appreciated. I'm looking for sound quality, i imagine the above kit will bring with it a little improved volume over the standard Hi-Fi equipment anyway.

Is it generally considered necessary to run in new speaker cables or do people run their new components and underseat subs from the OEM BMW wiring?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 03:01 AM   #15
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm2583
AWebster

I'm in exactly the same situation as you were. Really happy with the installation and service provided but just don't feel its been tuned to get the best out of the kit I have, which is practically the same as yours but i have the 13" JL sub

What did you think was lacking from your setup before the tune up?

Spoke with Makkan last week and hopefully get down to see him in a few weeks to get sorted
Just didn't sound right at all mate. Some songs sounded Ok, some terrible. Basically it was not configured correctly...

If you are local your welcome to listen to mine and see what it should sound like and we could copy the settings over. I am in Colchester Essex

Otherwise maks your man and will fix the sound.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
Kali
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E93

Mak is a great help with my project. Very experienced member and I would recommend listening to him!

Can't wait for my install to be finished!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #17
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Sam,
Need to get down and see you for some TLC to tuning my car soon please.
Let me know your diary for March
Sorry, missed this thread.
When you are ready, get in touch.

Quote:
Thanks alot for that. Much appreciated. I'm looking for sound quality, i imagine the above kit will bring with it a little improved volume over the standard Hi-Fi equipment anyway.

Is it generally considered necessary to run in new speaker cables or do people run their new components and underseat subs from the OEM BMW wiring?
Option one is sound system which is better than L7.

re: wiring: You use your current speaker wirings. Exception is underseats and for that you run new wires to low pass them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWebster View Post
Just didn't sound right at all mate. Some songs sounded Ok, some terrible. Basically it was not configured correctly...

If you are local your welcome to listen to mine and see what it should sound like and we could copy the settings over. I am in Colchester Essex

Otherwise maks your man and will fix the sound.
Good thinking Alex.
But if any of his amp is setup at different gain settings, then your settings may damage his drivers.
Lets say your gain is 20% on sub, where his is set at 30%. So your settings will run his sub with clipped sound. Give it 30 minutes and you will have a cooked sub!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post
Mak is a great help with my project. Very experienced member and I would recommend listening to him!

Can't wait for my install to be finished!

Thanks for the kind comment. Looking forward to see your project finished.
      03-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #18
dm2583
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i | E36 M3

Another Makkan recommendation here.

Met with Sam yesterday to tune my system and he's really made it sing. Massive difference to how it was setup before.

Thanks buddy and see you soon for the dash cam install!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm2583 View Post
Another Makkan recommendation here.

Met with Sam yesterday to tune my system and he's really made it sing. Massive difference to how it was setup before.

Thanks buddy and see you soon for the dash cam install!
Pleasure meeting you.

In all honesty, when we compare setting A and setting B, difference was massive.

For others who read this, Setting A was setup by me and Setting B was setup by other company (refrain to mention name), and I cannot beleive how these guys let your car out of their garage.

Glad that it worked out well for you mate.
      03-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #20
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pleasure meeting you.

In all honesty, when we compare setting A and setting B, difference was massive.

For others who read this, Setting A was setup by me and Setting B was setup by other company (refrain to mention name), and I cannot beleive how these guys let your car out of their garage.

Glad you got it sorted
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #21
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWebster
Quote:
Pleasure meeting you.

Glad you got it sorted
      03-06-2015, 02:45 AM   #22
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

Am Visiting the 'Big Man' next weekend. Sam is continuing his great work on my car! Can't wait.

Only down side is that i have talked up Lakeside shopping complex so much my Darling Wife wants to come. Might just loose the credit card in Ireland this weekend, i'll leave the pin number attached to it!!

The finder will spend less than my wife will next weekend!!!!!