E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > What is considered a modification?

02-04-2015, 05:56 AM   #1
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

What is considered a modification?

Just read this article on BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-31064998
Quote:
...was told that stickers saying "Christ Must Be Saviour" and "Christ For Me" could be regarded as "modifications" and could invalidate her insurance policy...
I'm wondering if I need to declare the twin USB car charger or even the Air Freshner?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfaz View Post
Just read this article on BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-s...wales-31064998

I'm wondering if I need to declare the twin USB car charger or even the Air Freshner?

I think you do!!

She was given 10 days to explain why she had not told them about the stickers, and an additional cigarette lighter point in the boot, when she took the policy out.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Seriously you need to read the full detailed T&Cs of your policy. Quite a few include "factory fitted optional extras" in their definition of "modifications".

So in theory with those firms you would have to list every option that is not "standard" on your particular model. I.e. extra ciggy lighter, sun roof, electric folding mirrors etc.

You may think, "oh balls to that" but watch out come claim time....

And yep it's no fun reading 50 odd pages of full policy details.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Seriously you need to read the full detailed T&Cs of your policy. Quite a few include "factory fitted optional extras" in their definition of "modifications".

So in theory with those firms you would have to list every option that is not "standard" on your particular model. I.e. extra ciggy lighter, sun roof, electric folding mirrors etc.

You may think, "oh balls to that" but watch out come claim time....

And yep it's no fun reading 50 odd pages of full policy details.
This. I think even DSC and stuff can be considered extras on some cars.

What I'd like to know is what the definition of "standard" is. If the insurer can tell me that, I can tell them what non standard parts there are.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

More to the point how would anybody buying a used car know what the the original spec / options were anyway? It's hard enough with a new car!

The full terms usually have a proper description. the brief summary online is no use, you HAVE to download and read the full terms.

Some firms quantify modifications simply as things "that effect the performance or exterior appearance of the car, including different wheels, body kits etc"

OP - looking at your signature, I hope you have declared every one of those modifications?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:00 AM   #6
markymark34
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 325d M Sport

I find this really irritating. I had an e90 m sport with from the factory 19" wheels. I had never mentioned these before at insurance time as they were from the factory. In my last year of ownership i tried to tell my insurance company about them. They didn't understand what i was saying and when i got the docs it said 'After market wheels' So i called them to tell them this was incorrect and they asked me 'Did it come like this from the factory' - Yes. 'So its a standard car sir you do not need to declare it'....

I gave up at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #7
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

For our cars, probably best to send a copy of the factory build sheet. They can't complain then.
Appreciate 0