E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Name and Shame - http://www.bmwnavi.co.uk

01-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
JohnnyMustang
Rep
Drives: 335D

Name and Shame - http://www.bmwnavi.co.uk

So I decided to order a replacement updated DVD for my Sat Nav on my e90. I used www.bmwnavi.co.uk which turned out to be a disaster. I don’t normally post this sort of thing but hopefully it will help other members and make you chuckle like I did. Its a shining example of how you should not treat a paying customer. Its probably a little childish of me but i have copied and pasted every email exchanged between us below just so everyone can get the full story and not just my side of the story.

23/10/14 - Placed Order

6/11/2014 - The purchase confirmation email states your "order will be shipped in 1 business day".... 2 weeks later and still no sign of the disk. I sent an email to enquire about it.
Quote:
Hello, I placed the order below but I have not received the DVD. Do you have a tracking number or confirm the shipping details. Regards, Johnny
06/11/14 Got a one line response –
Quote:
“HI, it should arrive any day now this week”
07/11/14 – Disk arrived. Put it straight into the car. It seemed to work 1st time but 10 minutes later when I restarted the car I got read errors straight away.

08/11/14 – Email sent.
Quote:
“Adrian, DVD arrived but it is not working. I took it straight from the envelope and put it into the car. It worked for the first time. After a restart it then said "DVD read error" and now it says "please insert disk". I also thought that the welcome screen was changed to the BMW logo with M logo which I choose when I was placing the order. Please see attached picture of screen. Overall I am not that happy. Took 2 weeks to arrive and now it doesn't work. Regard, “
09/11/14 – I got the following one line response with no acknowledgment of the problems I am having with the disk not working.
Quote:
“Johnny, logos are not for your model….
09/11/14 – Emailed straight back
Quote:
“Adrian, Thanks for the update about the logo which is fine but could you let me know what you are going to do about the fact that the dvd is not working. Regards, Johnny"
09/11/14 –Got another one liner back
Quote:
“you said it worked the first time.. systems sometimes need more time to assimilate the new update, it should work then after
So basically the dvd worked about 70% of the time once I was in my local area. Once I went outside my local area into somewhere were I actually needed Sat Nav it would just come up with a DVD Read Error or Please insert a Disk”

12/11/14 – Another email sent
Quote:
“Adrian, I am still getting DVD read errors on my unit. How long do the systems normally take to "assimilate the data"
That same day I had to do 3-4 visits around Dublin city where I really needed sat nav and I couldn’t use my Sat Nav at all. I ended up having to use my smart phone. So another email was sent.
Quote:
“Adrian, The DVD has now stopped working. I ended up having to use my phone for sat nav today. I would like to get a refund for my purchase, as it is not working. “
14/11/12 - 2 days later and no response to my previous two emails so I sent another. “
Quote:
Are you going to respond to my last two emails or should i just make a claim through my credit card?”
14/11/12 – another one line response
Quote:
“a replacement dvd has been sent”
Ok I thought. Maybe there is something wrong with the 1st DVD. I responded with
Quote:
“Thanks for the update”
The second disk arrived and I was having the same problem. Over the holiday/Christmas period I was not working so I had very little need for Sat Nav and i was pretty busy with other stuff. Then in the 1st week of January I am still getting the same errors.

04/01/15 – Email sent -
Quote:
Adrian, I am still having problems with your DVD. I have been very patient over the last few weeks and the DVD seems to work fine in my local area most of the time but once I venture outside my area to somewhere I have never been to the system just throws up Read error or says please insert DVD. I would like to return the 2 DVD you have sent me and get a refund. Please advise of your return address. Regards, Johnny
04/01/15 – Got another one liner
Quote:
“a replecement dvd has been sent”
. Maybe I am just unlucky and I got 2 DVDs with faults so i waited.

23/01/15 So I waited more and no sign of the replacement. Email sent -
Quote:
Adrian,
I have not received the replacement DVD and I have run out of patience. Please issue a refund to me and I will buy a dvd somewhere else. Please do not send another replacement DVD as I only want my money back. Regards, Johnny
23/01/15 – Response received –
Quote:
“Johnny, I will no send another one... because its been sent already, it shall arrive any day from now, rgs Adrian”
Today – 8 days later – Email sent
Quote:
Adrian, I am waiting almost 3 weeks and no disk. Please issue me with a refund. Your disks do not work. I am still getting errors. I am not waiting any longer. I will just make a claim through my credit card company as you are refusing to issue a refund for faulty goods. Regards,
The RESPONSE!!!! –
Quote:
“fix your crappy sat nav... end of story!!!”
I responded with 2 emails
Quote:
“The original disk works fine. Your disks do not work. I will make a claim on my credit card and will post this experience on all the BMW forums I currently am on. “
And….
Quote:
"Buy with confidence! 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED OR MONEY BACK"

Maybe you should change your website to something like..." We might eventually send a half working replacement DVD and don't care if they do not work".
The ironic thing is that he has this on his website. BEWARE OF OTHER NEW SELLERS ON SIMILIAR WEBSITES WITH NO FEED BACK AND SELLING CHEAP INFERIOR, INCORRECTLY PRODUCED PRODUCTS THAT COULD PERMANTLY DAMAGE YOUR NAV SYSTEM AND WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE TO REPAIR. BEWARE OF THE OLD SAYING IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBALLY IS. THE CHOICE IS YOURS.

Maybe there is a problem with my Sat nav but its unlikely as the old OEM BMW disk works fine and never once gave me a read error and even if there is a problem then the seller should advise me to check it out. Obviously if my sat nav worked fine with the old disk I am going to assume that the issue is with the new disk.

And can anyone recommend where i can get a replacement disk that will actually work?

Last edited by JohnnyMustang; 01-28-2015 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:32 AM   #2
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Buy one from the main dealers.

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

It is possible your dvd drive is faulty. It's a common problem and starts as intermittent then becomes more persistent. Mine did this and funnily enough the copy dvd navigation discs would show the error more often but eventually the OEM ones fail to read too. OEM discs do seem better quality.

If you have anyone in your area to check the disc I would try that. The DVD drives do tend to fail around the 4 year old mark from memory and BMW have reduced the price of the drives considerably since it became such a common complaint. Its about £90 and fairly easy DIY.

He probably should have mentioned this earlier and been a bit more polite as its a well known issue.

I would run the OEM one for a good month to prove its not the drive. If it is failing it should show read errors within that time
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
JohnnyMustang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Buy one from the main dealers.
There are many expensive things i don't mind paying money for but £180 for a DVD from BMW is not one.
      01-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
JohnnyMustang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesney72 View Post
It is possible your dvd drive is faulty. It's a common problem and starts as intermittent then becomes more persistent. Mine did this and funnily enough the copy dvd navigation discs would show the error more often but eventually the OEM ones fail to read too. OEM discs do seem better quality.

If you have anyone in your area to check the disc I would try that. The DVD drives do tend to fail around the 4 year old mark from memory and BMW have reduced the price of the drives considerably since it became such a common complaint. Its about £90 and fairly easy DIY.

He probably should have mentioned this earlier and been a bit more polite as its a well known issue.

I would run the OEM one for a good month to prove its not the drive. If it is failing it should show read errors within that time
Interesting and that is why I did not rule it out either. The main point of my post is that the dude was just plain rude all along. If he suspects that my player is faulty why keep sending replacement DVDs and not advise me to check my player. Only then if i rule out my player as a possible fault then send another DVD.

I will put the OEM dvd back in tonight and it will be interesting to see if i get any faults. My car is 2008 so there is a chance that it is causing the issue but funny that is only started giving trouble at the exact time i put the new DVD in.
      01-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

It's worth a try. I think it's the damper that seizes and perhaps it was running ok but ejecting and loading a new DVD was enough to unsettle it and its now sticking a bit. It has done well lasting 7 years if its the original though.

IF it is the drive here's a DIY. Looks dramatic but it's not too hard. You can see how much BMW used to charge £380!!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346876
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

Could be cheap quality DVD's / burnt incorrectly. Do you know what brand DVD they are? The only make that I could get working in my CIC was Verbatim burned at a very slow speed, all other brands would throw up read errors.

Have seen this website a few times, will avoid purely due to the sellers bad customer service.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesney72
It's worth a try. I think it's the damper that seizes and perhaps it was running ok but ejecting and loading a new DVD was enough to unsettle it and its now sticking a bit. It has done well lasting 7 years if its the original though.

IF it is the drive here's a DIY. Looks dramatic but it's not too hard. You can see how much BMW used to charge 380!!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346876
Try Rusty at http://www.satnavupgrades.co.uk/.Ive had a couple of discs from him over the years.Quick delivery and work perfectly...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
rhysh1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Try Rusty at http://www.satnavupgrades.co.uk/.Ive had a couple of discs from him over the years.Quick delivery and work perfectly...
Does he not offer updates for the new CIC idrive system?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
JohnnyMustang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf3106 View Post
Could be cheap quality DVD's / burnt incorrectly. Do you know what brand DVD they are? The only make that I could get working in my CIC was Verbatim burned at a very slow speed, all other brands would throw up read errors.

Have seen this website a few times, will avoid purely due to the sellers bad customer service.
I think he has labels on the whole face of the DVD, will have a look tonight.
      01-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysh1990
Quote:
Does he not offer updates for the new CIC idrive system?
Dunno mate-I've only ever bought discs for a ccc.His site only looks geared for discs,but I may be wrong!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
hargreaves1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
+1 Rusty. Had a couple of discs off of him and never a problem
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:18 PM   #13
Phil99z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F31 340i Shadowline Ed

Garage List
Another vote for Rusty. Got the 2015 DVD for my CCC and so far so good.
      01-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #14
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Get some top quality Verbatim dvd's and make a copy in your pc. Cheap dvd's don't generally work well in fussy players like cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Nav updates are also available FREE on the web.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #16
gibbon7000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 coupe

Quote:
How do you order from this guy? His website is just mainly customer reviews and a few screen shots.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #17
Hibbyfor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbon7000 View Post
How do you order from this guy? His website is just mainly customer reviews and a few screen shots.
Link here :- http://www.satnavupgrades.co.uk/id47.html

I've also bought discs from here without problems, gonna try the 2015 dvd
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #18
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

My car wont read them unless it's an 8gb dual layer verbatim won't read them on +/- r 4.7gb verbatim!! Any ideas?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:50 AM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

At first I laughed but then I was like what a toss pot... how can you expect business if you piss off your customers? Good job on making a thread so we know who not to contact when it comes to these matters.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #20
gibbon7000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbyfor View Post
Link here :- http://www.satnavupgrades.co.uk/id47.html

I've also bought discs from here without problems, gonna try the 2015 dvd
I've just ordered option 2, hope its as god as it sounds
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #21
surrey 335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i E91 sport, 123d + others

my satnav is a 2007 what difference will upgrading the disk make to my current idrive/nav? (there cant be that many new roads)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:57 AM   #22
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just to add my two pence worth - I got one from Rusty and it worked for a few weeks but then I got the same errors the OP was getting that required me to eject the (incredibly hot) disc wait until it had cooled down to put back in and repeat the process every 10-15 mins. In the end I just reverted to the OEM one which has caused me no problems whatsoever.

The main reason I got Rusty's was for the speed cameras but learned they are only visual and not audible alerts and they are accessed as a POI which means you can't find others with them on the screen!
Appreciate 0