E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Blow-off Valves

01-18-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
brtnrdr1x
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: by u w/ the finger ;)

Exclamation Blow-off Valves

I know blow off valves are very popular with turbo'd engines and I wanted to know a few things if you guys could help me out...I was interested in putting an HKS BOV into my 335, but it's not really a performance gain, its just for a attractive sick sound when shifting gears..I know all tuner japanese cars have em' but I know most of that is just for the attention. I'm mainly keeping my engine stock except for an intake and possibly a Dinan software upgrade next year. I think BOV's just make the intake and engine work a bit harder by blowing out the air that the turbolag-free turbos might be re-using time-to-time going into the next gear quicker, but would it really be a big deal to put the BOV in..I know it wil be hot but what effects could it have on the engine, and Im guessing it would void the waaranty...haha or would it not? Below are 2 videos of 335's with the HKS BOV...ENJOY..n help me out!!

MODS: 5% tint / JUN-TW roof spoiler / 8000K Oracle xenon(lows) / 3000K JDM Luminics fogs / Smoked tails / Full LED interior;puddles;back-ups
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

I can tell you from experience, the correct BOV sound will attract all the fine ladies. To the ladies, the sound of a finely tuned BOV is like the musk of a potent stud bull. It says to the ladies, "hey, you sexy fine thing, I'm so ready for making love to you that I had to let off some pressure". If you fail to tune that BOV correctly, the herds of fine lady that hear your mating call, pssssshh!, may impede your race.

So, you may ask, just which call do I wish to sound when I get my ride on? Well, there are many options. I, the freak that that I am, like to sound my call by the TiAL cry. This is more of a 'wooosh', or as I like to think of it, a 'whippp'. It says to the ladies, 'hey I'm in charge'. The other popular, and equally potent sound, is the chirp. The HKS chirp, is a higher pitch, but by no means less masculine. It says to the ladies.. "hey bitch, I'm all wound up and need some love. Like now!". Between these two automotive love-songs, there are a wide variety of BOV languages of love. Each speaks to a particular lady. Each tells a different tale of man and car. Choose carefully, and sound your BOV with discretion.

Either way, you can't go wrong. The true BOV call is like auditory aphrodisiac. Produced by only the finest car for finest lady. Not just at any old red-light with any old WRX. Make no mistake, it is a powerful message, and you must wield it with discretion, lest you break hearts and waste boost. Hope this helps. Oh, and it will make your car faster. Don't listen to the haters that say otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
To me a BOV on a car that doesn't actually need it to hold higher levels of boost absolutely screams "Look at me, I'm 16!".

If you are dead set on one . It's been discussed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

purplewidow will be here soon telling you how gay it is lol

it doesn't affect performance, just makes a sound, it depends on what ur car goes in the shop for. If turbo related, i would remove the BOV as they could blame you for it.

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarj View Post
I can tell you from experience, the correct BOV sound will attract all the fine ladies. To the ladies, the sound of a finely tuned BOV is like the musk of a potent stud bull. It says to the ladies, "hey, you sexy fine thing, I'm so ready for making love to you that I had to let off some pressure". If you fail to tune that BOV correctly, the herds of fine lady that hear your mating call, pssssshh!, may impede your race.

So, you may ask, just which call do I wish to sound when I get my ride on? Well, there are many options. I, the freak that that I am, like to sound my call by the TiAL cry. This is more of a 'wooosh', or as I like to think of it, a 'whippp'. It says to the ladies, 'hey I'm in charge'. The other popular, and equally potent sound, is the chirp. The HKS chirp, is a higher pitch, but by no means less masculine. It says to the ladies.. "hey bitch, I'm all wound up and need some love. Like now!". Between these two automotive love-songs, there are a wide variety of BOV languages of love. Each speaks to a particular lady. Each tells a different tale of man and car. Choose carefully, and sound your BOV with discretion.

Either way, you can't go wrong. The true BOV call is like auditory aphrodisiac. Produced by only the finest car for finest lady. Not just at any old red-light with any old WRX. Make no mistake, it is a powerful message, and you must wield it with discretion, lest you break hearts and waste boost. Hope this helps. Oh, and it will make your car faster. Don't listen to the haters that say otherwise.
That was quite comical
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by revah2 View Post
That was quite comical
+1
      01-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
+1
+2
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:10 AM   #8
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:

OK, whatever

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
purplewidow will be here soon telling you how gay it is lol

it doesn't affect performance, just makes a sound, it depends on what ur car goes in the shop for. If turbo related, i would remove the BOV as they could blame you for it.
Me too. They really are gay.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Me too. They really are gay.

We already went over this

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

Thats what I thought! So it is true
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
munters
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 335XI AT Dakota Black M

+1
If you address the Highscool "ladies" go for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
We already went over this
haha, I know...it's deja vu all over again.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
Spool
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
haha, I know...it's deja vu all over again.

Well i took mine off when i got the new car, i do miss the sound though. Just figure i put that 400 bucks towards something else.

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
To me a BOV on a car that doesn't actually need it to hold higher levels of boost absolutely screams "Look at me, I'm 16!".
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Well i took mine off when i got the new car, i do miss the sound though. Just figure i put that 400 bucks towards something else.
Great man! You're back!
HyperM3 came back from the dark side too and is now running the Forge DVs.
He realized that the DVs have better performance.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #17
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Great man! You're back!
HyperM3 came back from the dark side too and is now running the Forge DVs.
He realized that the DVs have better performance.
Forge DV's are the way to go....spool saw mine this past Monday.
      01-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #18
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Forge DV's are the way to go....spool saw mine this past Monday.
I know. I wish they would hurry up and get over here though.
My order's already in and I can't wait!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

A WRX drove by me the other day with a BOV. After two shifts I wanted to reach under his hood and rip the damn thing out. I can't fathom how some one could stay sane listening to that noise on every shift, every day.

Chicks like BOVs? I think my gf would punch me in the face and ridicule me mercilessly for being gay if I ever had one.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
loud BOVs belong on Japanese cars. On a blown Nissan, a WRX/STi, EVO, it's great. It fits.

This is supposed to be a refined sports car. That's why a 300hp EVO is $30K, and a 300hp BMW is $50K.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #21
jonm42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: too fast for conditions.

DV = diverter valve, BOV = blow off valve, yes? One vents internal, the other vents to atmosphere? Any other significant differences (other than the attractiveness factor so eloquently described above by edgarj)?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #22
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm42 View Post
DV = diverter valve, BOV = blow off valve, yes? One vents internal, the other vents to atmosphere? Any other significant differences (other than the attractiveness factor so eloquently described above by edgarj)?
Yes. Yes. Not too much, I even doubt that attractiveness factor so eloquently described above by edgarj.

Appreciate 0