E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > In english please

01-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

In english please

ok so my father in laws new e90 325i 2008 spec ed auto developed a fault.It has been at the dealer for two days i have a copy of the repair

Located fault for EML warning light to a vanos valve- replaced & road tested & all ok

does this mean engine managment light and the repair is a camshaft position sensor can any of you tech experts advise thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
I think you are spot on scoob, but I am sure someone will give us a little more information
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
VANOS is the name of the variable valve timing system that BMW employ.

Quote:
Vanos/double-Vanos.
Smoother idling, greater torque, elastic power: double-Vanos varies the camshaft timing to optimise power output throughout the rev range. Whatever your speed, you benefit from better performance, improved fuel efficiency and lower emissions.

The name Vanos is derived from the German term "variable Nockenwellensteuerung", meaning variable camshaft control. The double-Vanos system continuously adjusts the camshaft positions for both the intake and the exhaust valves. This results in significantly higher torque at low engine speeds and more power at higher engine speeds, while also reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
At lower engine speeds, the position of the camshaft is moved so the valves are opened later, as this improves idling quality and smooth power development. As the engine speed increases, the valves are opened earlier: this enhances torque, reduces fuel consumption and lowers emissions. At high engine speeds, the valves are opened later again, because this allows full power delivery.
Double-Vanos also controls the amount of exhaust gas that is re-circulated back to the intake manifold, enhancing fuel economy. The system uses a special set of parameters in the engine's warming-up phase in order to help the catalytic converter reach its ideal operating temperature more quickly, lowering emissions. The entire process is controlled by the vehicle's Digital Motor Electronics (DME). BMW first introduced the breakthrough Vanos technology in 1992. Double-Vanos entered production in 1997.
I guess that your fault report could be indicating a failure in the system that operates VANOS

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0