Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
mtecnic
BMW Super Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: F10 535ixDrive, E39 M5

e9x floating vs f8x fixed caliper impressions?

I know its subjective but i'm looking for anyone who's used both braking systems to their limits. While you can chime in if you've got the CCB i'm more concerned with your subjective opinions when its come to stopping power and fading. After reading the tech sheet for the F80 it says the brakes are fixed caliper and 4 piston front 2 piston rears vs the floating single piston options.

Thoughts?
'94 325ix - Parted *** '92 318i vert - sold
'94 325i - Rear End Total ***** '01 330ci - traded
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

I cant answer with personal experience since I've only driven E92 and not F8x, but here is some useful information you might find helpful:

http://www.whyhighend.com/floating-v...-calipers.html

http://www.neo-motorsport.com/articles/4

Seems that floating calipers are cheaper, lighter, and last longer (because had one set of pistons on the front vs a fixed has two sets of pistons on both sides of the disc), but could have sticking problems if the caliper does not slide back to its original position. Fixed has more even stopping power but it is heavier and can be costly to maintain/replace. Hope this helps.

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 03:06 AM   #3
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Completely stock, ie stock fluid, pads, discs and tyres the F80/82 brakes are better than E90/92.

By better, I mean better feeling and modulation, better release, and more fade resistant. In fact on the track I am yet to feel significant fade on the stock F82 setup during hard 20 track sessions. The pad wear completely stock also seems better, presumably as they are not getting overheated as much.

However, I have my suspicions that the stock brake pad compound on the F82 is more track orientated than the stock compound on the E92, which might help with some of the above factors.

My tracktime in both cars is pretty limited, 2x track days in each.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
Completely stock, ie stock fluid, pads, discs and tyres the F80/82 brakes are better than E90/92.

By better, I mean better feeling and modulation, better release, and more fade resistant. In fact on the track I am yet to feel significant fade on the stock F82 setup during hard 20 track sessions. The pad wear completely stock also seems better, presumably as they are not getting overheated as much.

However, I have my suspicions that the stock brake pad compound on the F82 is more track orientated than the stock compound on the E92, which might help with some of the above factors.

My tracktime in both cars is pretty limited, 2x track days in each.
I agree that stock for stock, the braking system is superior of the F8X than the one on the E9X.

However, even on the F8X, the stock pads are inadequate for serious track use.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #5
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

After probably 70 track days on my 2011 E90 M3, there is no question the factory brake design on that car (floating calipers F/R, and the compound (pin floating) rotor) is both functional and highly reliable. With Pagid RS racing pads used every event, and switching back to stock pad for the street, never any rotor deposit/pedal pulsing and the rotors still were in spec (although coming up for replacement)!

The new fixed set-up on the M4, from a design perspective, is superior and more servicable (pad swap via the pad carrier vs. removing the caliper). I'll be tracking my car beginning in April, so we'll see. I expect nothing less than spectacular, given a lighter car, larger rotors, more advanced multi-piston calipers, and ease of servicing.

On the road, brakes are overkill, as they were w/the E90, so definitely difficult to compare (Awesome vs. More Awesome?). I never use street pads on-track and vice versa.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2015, 07:17 AM   #6
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
After probably 70 track days on my 2011 E90 M3, there is no question the factory brake design on that car (floating calipers F/R, and the compound (pin floating) rotor) is both functional and highly reliable. With Pagid RS racing pads used every event, and switching back to stock pad for the street, never any rotor deposit/pedal pulsing and the rotors still were in spec (although coming up for replacement)!
Same experience here with 100+ track days on my E92 with a completely stock brake system except for pads (PF08 in my case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
The new fixed set-up on the M4, from a design perspective, is superior and more servicable (pad swap via the pad carrier vs. removing the caliper). I'll be tracking my car beginning in April, so we'll see. I expect nothing less than spectacular, given a lighter car, larger rotors, more advanced multi-piston calipers, and ease of servicing.

On the road, brakes are overkill, as they were w/the E90, so definitely difficult to compare (Awesome vs. More Awesome?). I never use street pads on-track and vice versa.
Also agree
Appreciate 1