THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Questions to anyone using aftermarket engine air filter filter

01-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
F22santiago
Banned
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 6 Speed M240i

Questions to anyone using aftermarket engine air filter filter

So i dont really feel like spending the money qnd going through the trouble of taking out/storing the oem intake so i was wondering how an aftermaket filter (K&N, AFE, ??) would sound. I do think the car is too quiet and the was mainly interested in sound. I heard cars with an intake and really like the sound. I know an intake is probably more effective but dont really mind. I also know some people are concerned about the oil in the k&n's but honestly i never had a bad experience and i work for the service dept at bmw so i can get away with it should something bad happen (doubt it). Has anyone replaced just the oem filter than can give any impressions?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
F22santiago
Banned
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 6 Speed M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Hey. I installed a k&n air filter. Just the filter not the intake. I've always been a fan of them and install them in every car I own. I've noticed that the intake sound does get a bit louder. All my cars are stick and the biggest advantage I notice is better throttle response. This is my first turbo car and it feels like the turbo builds up smoother. The engine overall just feels smoother. I'm assuming this is because of increased airflow. There's no doubt the airflow is higher. People will try and tell you you'll let in harmful debris and hurt the longevity of your engine. Show me proof. Actual proof of someone's engine being clogged up with oil and debris. You won't find it. Overall I definitely recommend the filter. Never had one single issue with them. Will it satisfy your craving for a more soulful 228..? Hm probably not. You'll need an exhaust for that. But it does help and won't hurt.
Thanks for the reply! Do you hear the turbo spooling up/increased blow off sound you would with an intake?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Hey. I installed a k&n air filter. Just the filter not the intake. I've always been a fan of them and install them in every car I own. I've noticed that the intake sound does get a bit louder. All my cars are stick and the biggest advantage I notice is better throttle response. This is my first turbo car and it feels like the turbo builds up smoother. The engine overall just feels smoother. I'm assuming this is because of increased airflow. There's no doubt the airflow is higher. People will try and tell you you'll let in harmful debris and hurt the longevity of your engine. Show me proof. Actual proof of someone's engine being clogged up with oil and debris. You won't find it. Overall I definitely recommend the filter. Never had one single issue with them. Will it satisfy your craving for a more soulful 228..? Hm probably not. You'll need an exhaust for that. But it does help and won't hurt.
Some food for thought: in 2010 in the paddock before a Grand Am race, a group of us were having a Q&A with the SpeedSource (3 rotor RX-8) team. We asked about what turned out to be a stock paper intake (in a custom enclosure) on the car. We were told that they were getting sand past the K&N filters they previously used, so had gone to the paper filters.

On an RX-8 forum in 2011, Eric Meyer from an RX-8 World Challenge team echoed that concern: "We ran a K&N style for a few races just because I thought this technology was the best. It made about 1 more hp on the dyno than paper. So we ran it. We also toasted two motors at Daytona and one at Homestead running the Grand-Am Koni Challenge Series. When we pulled these motors apart we found (drum roll) sand blasted rotor housings where the air would enter the intake ports. Switched over to paper, ran both these tracks again and the witness marks were gone. Problem fixed. David also confirmed that he had saw this before also."

The speeds involved and location (largely Florida), may have contributed, but still something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Well thank you! I stand corrected. I've never seen any hard evidence. Like you said, location and the type of driving (Constant high RPM) would definitely make the problem exponentially worse. Also you said a "custom inclosure" was used which I would assume is designed for maximum air flow and not designed to keep particles out. (before reaching the filter) I'm not saying the dirt wouldn't be possible on the streets but am I wrong to assume quite a bit less likely?
The custom enclosure was a well sealed cowl induction setup. So, not sucking up stuff from down low on the track, but a short, direct shot from cowl to filter. The Pirelli World Challenge car would have had a stock type intake which would pull from the nose. I suspect sand has more uniformly round particles than particles from soil and plants that most places would have. The more organic stuff is probably irregular and therefore easier to filter.
I actually have a K&N filter on my current RX-8 (a well designed Racing Beat intake). I would not view it as a "lifetime" filter. I replaced mine after about 4 years because it was looking thin in spots when held up to the light. I also removed the cold air intake duct that came with it because of the amount of sand and dirt I found in the intake box. That dropped dramatically, though not completely, with removal of the intake. I personally did not find any sand inside the filter.
I claim no expertise in the area, but after what I learned & observed with my RX-8 and the K&N, I won't be doing a K&N on my M235i when it comes, but I'm not getting rid of it on my RX-8. I'm leaving the cold air intake off as long as the K&N remains; I have doubts about pumping that much sand directly at a K&N.
Appreciate 0