F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pirelli Sottozero 3 vs. Dunlop Wintersport 4D
ARMA SPEED

01-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Pirelli Sottozero 3 vs. Dunlop Wintersport 4D

Having the M235i on order (RWD - just wanted to return to a real beemer after 2 frustrating years with underpowered xDrive F10) - I'm looking around for a set of good winter tires. On the other of my little yet powerful vehicles, the Golf R, I have Dunlop WinterSport 4Ds; very nice tires from the noise or should I say lack of it) viewpoint. They are also very good in snow braking, but not so great in overall grip on wet road (at least not before they are properly warmed up).

Even with those arguable disadvantages, I'd buy a set of identical Dunlop 4Ds for my coming M235i were they available anywhere in EU. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have them at the moment! So, my second thought are Pirelli Sottozero 3s; never had them so cannot say anything apart from the fact that on paper they would be much noisier than the Dunlops (72 vs 69 dB).

Anyone using Sottozero 3s on their M235i? What your impressions are? How do they compare to the Dunlop Wintersport I like so much?
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
I've been researching the Sottozero 3 recently and have found a number of EU tests done foe winter tires. Sorry I don't have the URLs, but they're done in Germany and the Czech Republic I think. Overall the Pirelli did better than the 4D across the board. Tirerack.com did a comparo and the Pirelli did a bit better than the Dunlop in snow and on dry roads and a bit worse than the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...181&viewPage=y

More test results: http://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/c...#/test-results

For me, the major advantage of the Pirelli over the Dunlop in the TR test was dry road handling and behavior at the limit snow. Those are two of the most important categories to me. The Dunlop wasn't better than the Pirelli in any category, although they were very similar in several.

Last edited by stevehecht; 01-10-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Good comparison here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=181

Notice the Pirelli scores better then the 4D in wet/dry but very marginally. Should be a similar tire. I don't imagine the road noise will be much different between the two tires.

Another good option (if you can get them) is Bridgestone Bizzak LM-32. I have had a few sets of Blizzaks and loved them. Make sure it it the LM-32 as they have better dry/wet grip as they are a high performance snow. I had some studless snow and ice Blizzaks (like a ws-60) before on my wife's car. Excellent snow grip but really soft! Horrible treadwear and poor dry performance.

I wanted LM-32 but couldn't get my size. 4D's have been great. A friend has Dunlop 3D's and they are excellent also.
Appreciate 0