E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW e90 335d. My experiences.

01-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335d

BMW e90 335d. My experiences.

Hi all. Back in November I purchaed a 2007 BMW e90 335d indvidual. An absolutely stunning car with lots of extras (logic 7, tan leather interior, ruby black paint, active cruise, dab, tv, Style 162 alloys rear blinds)

1 previous owner with full BMW service history. All was fine for the first month with myself putting on miles travelling from Cardiff to London regularly.

Until recently. . . Late December the car just suddenly died whilst driving. No warnings just turned off and refused to restart. Managed to get it towed to BMW where initally they diagnosed injector 3 as faulty. This was replaced. The car still refused to run right. No faults stored. BMW sent the case out to Germany, and was advised to replace the DDE and crankshaft sensor.

This was done, the car then managed to produce 2 more injector faults, these were also replaced. They then extensively tested the car and I've received it back.

Whilst BMW have been brilliant in fixing the car and thank god I took out the BMW comprehensive warranty-

Is it common for the DDE to damage the injectors or vice versa. I've had injector issues before on my old bmws. However this is the first time I've had an ecu fail.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Geesh_46
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

I had a very similar problem on a 330d,

Had 1 injector fixed then less than 24 hours later broke again fixed another 2 injectors and replaced ecu, had no warranty though and ended up costing £3000 3 weeks before my wedding!

Found bmw to be a complete nightmare had car in garage for 3 weeks with no courtesy car and also wrecked my wrap which I did manage to get some compensation for
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Common on 330d/ 335d. However if one injector goes, then other two on the same bank goes soon.

I do not think that changing DME is necessary. Updating it should be enough.

The reason I mentioned as owner of my garage has X6. Injector 6 died, then 5 and then 4. Changed them, updated the module and car has been running fine now.
      01-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_tricky View Post
Hi all. Back in November I purchaed a 2007 BMW e90 335d indvidual. An absolutely stunning car with lots of extras (logic 7, tan leather interior, ruby black paint, active cruise, dab, tv, Style 162 alloys rear blinds)

1 previous owner with full BMW service history. All was fine for the first month with myself putting on miles travelling from Cardiff to London regularly.

Until recently. . . Late December the car just suddenly died whilst driving. No warnings just turned off and refused to restart. Managed to get it towed to BMW where initally they diagnosed injector 3 as faulty. This was replaced. The car still refused to run right. No faults stored. BMW sent the case out to Germany, and was advised to replace the DDE and crankshaft sensor.

This was done, the car then managed to produce 2 more injector faults, these were also replaced. They then extensively tested the car and I've received it back.

Whilst BMW have been brilliant in fixing the car and thank god I took out the BMW comprehensive warranty-

Is it common for the DDE to damage the injectors or vice versa. I've had injector issues before on my old bmws. However this is the first time I've had an ecu fail.
Have you checked with bmw if any other warranty work been carried out on that car?
      01-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Yes it had has some warranty work on the car. The previous owner provided all receipts from new and BMW have been very accommodating with regards to my requests for information. Due in part to the previous owner giving them authorisation to let me have the info.

Nothing of any note apart from vacuum lines replaced due to perishing, a new abs module (which is common due to past experience) and the red boost hose failing.

Apart from that it's had complete servicing and the security update for the window drop and key cloning issue.

I literally have stacks of paper work from the previous owner detailing everything that has been done including tyre changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 03:46 AM   #6
JohnnyMustang
Rep
Drives: 335D

I bought a 2008 e90 335D a few months back. only 26k on the clock. I had the ABS issue within 6 weeks and I have no warranty so pulled it out of the car myself sent it off to get fixed and refitted it.

Despite this I am uber delighted with it.
      01-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

I had the pressure convertor failure with mine, vacuum hoses were fine but replaced anyways and that's it really.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

I had some of these symptoms on an old e39 530d I had years back. I was quite surprised how similar the layout of the engine is. I know underneath it's very different. But the fact they still use pressure converters and vac lines and most things are in the same place is quite reassuring for me.

I also remember having the same egr issues and also the loo roll oil separator issues. All those years back.
Appreciate 0