Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Cool Preparing Myself for My Silverstone M4

When I wanted a street motorcycle back in 1990 I took my first step and moved out of my mothers house. I then took a MSF course and learned the basics in operating a motorcycle. I learned how to ride in a straight line, shift, brake, counter steer and mitigate risk on the road. I enjoyed it so much I started teaching the same course in 1996 and to this day still teach people how to operate and mitigate risks associated with riding motorcycles. I love it and enjoy motorcycles quite a bit. I consider my skillz on a motorcycle better than average, but mediocre at best when you look at the full capability of my machines, especially the CBR.

Now I had been driving a car for at least 5 years prior to my penchant for motorcycles and have only taken the initial driving course. The rest of my experience is basic driving of several different types of cars, the sportiest being a 2000 Acura Integra GSR, which I totaled by not managing my traction in 2009. It was a dumb ass mistake in which I was not capable of recovering, because I did not know, what I did not know.

Now here I am about to purchase a most exceptional machine commonly referred to as an M4 - Silver Stone Metallic, SO Full Leather, DCT and maybe, just maybe headlights imbedded with freakin laser beams.

I feel I am fairly level headed and regularly show good control of very powerful machines on the road. The CBR can do 0-60 mph in just under 3s and has a top speed of about 183. Easily this machine will show you what it means to be irresponsible on the road.

Here is my question to you:

What are some things you could recommend I do, so that I might better prepare myself for my first M car? I know the obvious is a car clinic, so be specific on the type. I am also looking for other things I can do that can be done outside of a car clinic.
      01-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
Here is my question to you:

What are some things you could recommend I do, so that I might better prepare myself for my first M car? I know the obvious is a car clinic, so be specific on the type. I am also looking for other things I can do that can be done outside of a car clinic.
I would recommend starting out with autocross as it will allow you to drive at (and past) the limit at relatively slow speeds with relatively few obstacles to hit. I would look for a club that you want to run with, here is a list of clubs to get you started. SCCA is the "benchmark", but BMWCCA and PCA are well known groups to run with also.

http://www.autocrossers.org

Once you are comfortable with handling the vehicle at the limit, it is time to add more speed to the equation at a high performance driving event (HPDE).

http://www.nasaracing.net/?page_id=88

Be careful though, before you know it you'll be selling the M4 so that you can buy a truck to tow your Spec Miata.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep

I forgot to mention that you can start autocrossing your current car, even prior to pickup up the F82. While there is a difference between FWD and RWD and power levels between the two cars, the basic dynamics will always be the same.

It's similar to learning to ride on a TU250X, then buying a Multistrada 1200.

Reading books can also help to wrap your mind around the concepts. I like Speed Secrets, How to Make Your Car Handle, and Drive to Win for a start. I would read Speed Secrets all of the way through before buying the other two or other similar books.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

You're probably a better driver than me OP, but I've had M3's for the last 12 or so years. Historically, the M's have been super forgiving and very easy to drive near the limit. I think this F8X is the exception. I'd say maybe leave traction control on while you explore the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I'd say maybe leave traction control on while you explore the car.
Unless you're in a controlled environment such as an autocross where traction control will become a hindrance or even worse, a crutch.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
When I wanted a street motorcycle back in 1990 I took my first step and moved out of my mothers house. I then took a MSF course and learned the basics in operating a motorcycle. I learned how to ride in a straight line, shift, brake, counter steer and mitigate risk on the road. I enjoyed it so much I started teaching the same course in 1996 and to this day still teach people how to operate and mitigate risks associated with riding motorcycles. I love it and enjoy motorcycles quite a bit. I consider my skillz on a motorcycle better than average, but mediocre at best when you look at the full capability of my machines, especially the CBR.

Now I had been driving a car for at least 5 years prior to my penchant for motorcycles and have only taken the initial driving course. The rest of my experience is basic driving of several different types of cars, the sportiest being a 2000 Acura Integra GSR, which I totaled by not managing my traction in 2009. It was a dumb ass mistake in which I was not capable of recovering, because I did not know, what I did not know.

Now here I am about to purchase a most exceptional machine commonly referred to as an M4 - Silver Stone Metallic, SO Full Leather, DCT and maybe, just maybe headlights imbedded with freakin laser beams.
Sorry, no laser headlights in the US.
Optional $1.9K LED headlights - yes.
Lasers on cars or shark heads - no.

Quote:
1). Join www.bmwcca.org
2). Sign-up for a driving school (DE) and autoX schools ASAP. If you buy an M3 without prior experience with high performance cars, pretty much avoid WOT until you've done a few DEs and learned what the car feels like near the limit, and learn how to bring it back.

a
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 01:18 AM   #7
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

All I could think of was Sharks with Friggen Lazer Beams!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 01:33 AM   #8
ltrlianall
Rep
Drives: bmw

I would read Speed Secrets all of the way through before buying the other two or other similar books.
      01-07-2015, 06:27 AM   #9
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Leave the car in MDM mode or safer, avoid trying to show off, drive 1-2 notches below what you think you can do. Avoid a heavy foot. Its actually a safer car than most because of the superior handling and braking. It will only cause you more trouble if you drive it too fast (pretty much like any car, but the M arrives at too fast a lot sooner).

Autocross, HPE's, car control clinics are all great suggestions and well worth it to improve your skills.

Just by your history and forethought, I don't see you having a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #10
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

I have owned numerous liter bikes. They are indeed very fast. The biggest thing is this is a car bit a bike. It's much bigger and heavier which can be harder to control. Stopping distance and getting out of drifts are very important. You'll get the most out of the car by taking your time and learning it as I suspect you did with your cbr. Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #11
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Bravo to the OP for putting his ego in the drawer and asking intelligent questions! And congrats on your purchase!

Don't overthink it, though. It's a powerful car, yes. And with the nannies off, it can bite you. But it's not a MacLaren F1 with manual brakes, steering and no ABS, or a first gen Viper. Treat it with the respect that you seem to have learned on the bikes, and build up slowly.

Others have pointed you in the right direction. One thing that was not mentioned is that since you are relatively close to the Performance Delivery Center in SC, why not sign up for a 1 or 2 day M school? That will bring you through autocross, skidpad, and track (depending on course) and really give you a flavor for what your car is like at the limit....without killing your own tires and brakes, but in the same car you drive every day!

Good luck and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Leave Traction Control On, this morning I would have been in the guardrail if I didn't. It was very cold this morning and I punched it on the highway and the car wiggled a little. It would of wiggled all the way into the guardrail if TC was off.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Leave Traction Control On, this morning I would have been in the guardrail if I didn't. It was very cold this morning and I punched it on the highway and the car wiggled a little. It would of wiggled all the way into the guardrail if TC was off.
You realize the tires don't work well below 40 degrees, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Needsdecaf, snow tires??????
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, do a performance center delivery so you can hammer on one of BMW's M3/M4 at the test track with an instructor

You could also do karting.

That said, I'm not really sure you need to do anything before hand. Just work up to the car's limits progressively, and reduce electronic assist progressively, and just do more events in the M3/M4 when you get it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #16
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
Did it

Picked it up this past weekend.
Attached Images

12-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #17
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
That looks like an M3 not an M4
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #18
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
Yeah, I changed my mind for the F80, but I wanted to update posts I had put some thought into to show the end result. Gonna post one more similar update but with greater detail about my NAD.