F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil consumption 435i
Extreme Powerhouse

01-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Mauricio Palacios. MD
Stark und Frei
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435i M Sport

Oil consumption 435i

N 55 Oil consumption
Hello friends I have almost 1700 miles in my 435i. I checked the oil level in the iDrive and it tells me it is 0.25 qt. below they Max level. I added 250 ml (1/4 qt. aprox.) and made a 150 miles travel. After that, I checked the oil level again and it is still the same. I added another 0.25 qt. now I've added 0.5 qt (total). And the oil level in in the display is still the same. Are these amounts of oil consumption normal? I don't want to add more oil because I don't want to exceed the max level. When I drive in highways or mountain roads, I usually like spirited drive (3500-6500 rpm, 100-140 mile/h). I think that could be the reason for the high oil consumption. Thank you very much for your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

The oil doesn't have to be at the MAX level. There's a risk of overfilling it when trying to reach MAX level. You may have overfilled it and as a result it's begun to burn off the excess oil. Anything between min and max is fine. But best to keep it at least at the middle.

Also your driving style appears to be very extreme (not many do 140 mph runs regularly :S). That most certainly may cause it to burn some oil.
      01-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Mauricio Palacios. MD
Stark und Frei
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fille View Post
The oil doesn't have to be at the MAX level. There's a risk of overfilling it when trying to reach MAX level. You may have overfilled it and as a result it's begun to burn off the excess oil. Anything between min and max is fine. But best to keep it at least at the middle.

Also your driving style appears to be very extreme (not many do 140 mph runs regularly :S). That most certainly may cause it to burn some oil.
Hello friend! I hope that I didn't overfilled the engine of oil already… I think that we have a monitor or sensor wich warns us about exceeding oil level. Anyway, I just added 0.5 l of Mobil 1 0W40… With my crazy driving style, would be gone very soon. Hahaha… Thank you very much for your response. Good night there, in your beautiful country…

Last edited by Mauricio Palacios. MD; 01-03-2015 at 06:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

Oil consumption is found to be quite high during the first 5000 or 6000 miles of the engine life for the 6 cyl... After that, it should be back to an acceptable norm...

Don't worry, just fill up what the computer tells you....
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
MikeTerp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30/340

Most serious BMW owners hate the iDrive oil check feature and wish we just had an old fashioned dip stick. Reliable, easy to check and you always know how much oil you have. There have been other threads in which people posted stories about trying to see if their iDrive oil check was accurate and some found that they could get the level to read "max" even after putting only six quarts in an N52 (supposed to be seven), so there may be some sensors that do not always read accurately.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

My 335xi loves oil. BMW changed the sensor thinking it might be broken. Nevertheless, I get about 2100 miles before needing to add a quart. I won't add anything until it tells you you're down a quart. Wish it had a dipstick because I don't trust that electronic shit. Dealer tells me this is normal behavior if you drive spirited. I have come to accept this major flaw and I won't be driving it granny style to save oil.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2015, 11:00 PM   #7
GAS428
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i grand coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Palacios. MD View Post
N 55 Oil consumption
Hello friends I have almost 1700 miles in my 435i. I checked the oil level in the iDrive and it tells me it is 0.25 qt. below they Max level. I added 250 ml (1/4 qt. aprox.) and made a 150 miles travel. After that, I checked the oil level again and it is still the same. I added another 0.25 qt. now I've added 0.5 qt (total). And the oil level in in the display is still the same. Are these amounts of oil consumption normal? I don't want to add more oil because I don't want to exceed the max level. When I drive in highways or mountain roads, I usually like spirited drive (3500-6500 rpm, 100-140 mile/h). I think that could be the reason for the high oil consumption. Thank you very much for your opinions.
Take it to the dealer and figure out what is going on. Too much oil will foam and damage your engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 05:58 AM   #8
Mauricio Palacios. MD
Stark und Frei
Germany
Rep

Thank you very much for your responses, dear friends…

Updated: 2,904 km, +0.5 qt Mobil 1 0W40 and still 25% less than max. I only hope that I didn't added too much… In case that, like some some of you are telling me, the actual level can take time to be registered.

Last edited by Mauricio Palacios. MD; 01-03-2015 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Palacios. MD View Post
Thank you very much for your responses, dear friends…

Updated: 2,904 km, +0.5 qt Mobil 1 0W40 and still 25% less than max. I only hope that I didn't added too much… In case that, like some some of you are telling me, the actual level can take time to be registered.

I wouldn't be too worried yet. Just don't top up the oil unless the car tells you to or if it's starting to get below the mid level.

Good luck and enjoy the car
      01-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
geoff7877
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport 6MT

It's common to burn oil in these car, especially with the twin turbo. Your oil is not low. You will get a low oil warning when it's low. That warning comes on when you're 1 quart low. Resist the urge to top it off with the current measurement though. Too much oil is not good.

1 to 2 quarts between changes is totally normal but wait til it calls for it.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #11
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85
My 335xi loves oil. BMW changed the sensor thinking it might be broken. Nevertheless, I get about 2100 miles before needing to add a quart. I won't add anything until it tells you you're down a quart. Wish it had a dipstick because I don't trust that electronic shit. Dealer tells me this is normal behavior if you drive spirited. I have come to accept this major flaw and I won't be driving it granny style to save oil.
Not sure why everyone hates on the electronic level sensor. Yes, a dipstick is a simpler design but that doesn't mean an electronic volume sensor is inaccurate and terrible. When was the last time you saw a car with a dipstick for the gas tank? Do you not trust your gas gauge? In this day and age I am sure bmw can make the oil level sensor as accurate as they want it to be. But they probably build in a variance tolerance so people don't freak out over slight fluctuations. Like they did with the coolant temp gauge years ago.
Appreciate 1