E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > RaceChip Pro CR02

01-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
wolly440
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320d msport

RaceChip Pro CR02

Treated myself to one of these tuning boxes for xmas. Ordered it sunday night, arrived from Germany on Wednesday afternoon

My car is a 2010 E92 320d LCI with 184 bhp standard. RaceChip claim 232 bhp for my car, which is plenty for me.

Very easy to install and adjust the settings. Got it on there performance lv2 setting, it can be turned up more, but going to run it on this for a few weeks to see how it performs.

My initial thoughts were, bloody hell its quick, pulls hard from 1200 rpm right through to the redline. Traction control light was coming on in 3rd in the wet. Floor it in 2nd and it stays on right up to when you change gear. can't wait for the weather to get better, then I can give it the beans
      01-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Sounds good any play to get it rolling roaded soon?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Do you think a 30% increase in power and torque will be too much for a standard engine/gearbox?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Is this around £198? I keep debating whether to get one.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
wolly440
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83 View Post
Do you think a 30% increase in power and torque will be too much for a standard engine/gearbox?
Suppose it depends on how often you floor it. Day to day driving I will be trying to get as much mpg as possible. The odd blast can't do it that much harm
      01-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
wolly440
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah1 View Post
Sounds good any play to get it rolling roaded soon?
Would love to get it on a rolling road just to see what its running at. Not turned it right up yet, going to leave it a few weeks to see how it runs
      01-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Might look into this, need to find some reviews
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Guys
Race Chip get good reviews and has the reputation of pulling the car right from the bottom.

However, you guys should read their installation instructions.

Nothing wrong with it, except that it has only one connection to fuel rail. Having said that it operates by just 'altering Fuel' into injectors.

I had shortlisted two. Race Chip & DTUK.

So for the same car which OP has, if you read DTUK installation instructions, it intercept the signals at rail and at boost pressure sensor. I am not a tuner but I get the impression that DTUK kit alter the fueling and boosting of turbo.

Other plus factor with DTUK is that if you buy straight from them, you are insured if anything goes wrong to your engine.

I considered both of these products seriously and opted for DTUK as it has two ways of controlling the gains. Very happy with the results. Low end torque and boost is great now.

So, thought to bring this into attention.

PS: Ideally I would like to meet up with somebody who has RaceChip pro so we can exchange the boxes and try. Best bet would be dyno with best settings on both boxes.
      01-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Guys
Race Chip get good reviews and has the reputation of pulling the car right from the bottom.

However, you guys should read their installation instructions.

Nothing wrong with it, except that it has only one connection to fuel rail. Having said that it operates by just 'altering Fuel' into injectors.

I had shortlisted two. Race Chip & DTUK.

So for the same car which OP has, if you read DTUK installation instructions, it intercept the signals at rail and at boost pressure sensor. I am not a tuner but I get the impression that DTUK kit alter the fueling and boosting of turbo.

Other plus factor with DTUK is that if you buy straight from them, you are insured if anything goes wrong to your engine.

I considered both of these products seriously and opted for DTUK as it has two ways of controlling the gains. Very happy with the results. Low end torque and boost is great now.

So, thought to bring this into attention.

PS: Ideally I would like to meet up with somebody who has RaceChip pro so we can exchange the boxes and try. Best bet would be dyno with best settings on both boxes.
Thanks for the info Mak, always good to look at alternatives. Will check DTUK too
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
holmefield
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330 d m sport

I have just been reading this and nipped onto the DTUK web site, would the CRD2+ be the best bet then for my 330 D M sport pre Lci makkan00?

I've been looking @ remaps for a bit now but havent considered a tuning box till now..

wolly440 how much did you pay for your RACECHIPS box if yu dont mind me asking?

Also to both of you Wolly440 and Makkan00 has your Mpg got any better? 0
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Thanks for the info Mak, always good to look at alternatives. Will check DTUK too
No worries. I looked at race pro and they were cheaper than DTUK but when you look at the mechanism, DTUK was better due to boost as well.

Also, I do not want to see my egr valve getting clogged due to increased fueling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmefield View Post
I have just been reading this and nipped onto the DTUK web site, would the CRD2+ be the best bet then for my 330 D M sport pre Lci makkan00?

I've been looking @ remaps for a bit now but havent considered a tuning box till now..

wolly440 how much did you pay for your RACECHIPS box if yu dont mind me asking?

Also to both of you Wolly440 and Makkan00 has your Mpg got any better? 0
I went for CRD2+ if you want performance.

If you want Eco friendly map and bit of less gain, then CRDe box.

I must be honest though and should make few comments:

1- If you want the tuner to do the job, maps is best. Cost is nearly £300 which is equivalent to DTUK box.

2- RaceChip is cheaper than DTUK box. Excellent price imho.

3- MPG: It totally depends on you whether you like to use max power / boost.

On my 520d, my first tank went without DTUK box.
On my second tank I added DTUK box. After having extra power and boost, I am driving fast and boosting it when its warmed up. Still got same miles as I did manage from the last tank. So, despite of having extra power/ torque similar mpg. Also, I have code launch control recently so launched my car few times (which kills your mpg).

But from my previous experience, you see little increase after remap/ tunning box as you are being careful. Also, perhaps you accelerate quickly due to extra torque and then cruise it (which is best of mpg).
However after few week/ months when you know your car and knows it potential, you start driving it hard and then mpg goes down.

HTH.
      01-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Cheers makkan00, I've had quite a few remaps in the past but I've never had a tuning box before so I considering giving one ago..to be honest I'd be happy with the same Mpg as now after the tuning boxs fitted as it would be nice to have the extra Bhp on the odd blast ha ha.

I think ad you've mentioned the CRD2+ would be the best option but that RACEPRO box does seem very good value for money IF it performs as detailed...I'd recon in the real world around 40/45bhp increase from both mayb a little more from the DTUK one..

Im very tempted to get one & im edging towards the DTUK if im honest...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
wolly440
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was having the same dilema as Makkan. DTUK/RaceChip/live remap. At end of the day, it was cost that was the biggest factor. Not much increase in performace for twice the price. At the moment I'm happy with the performace on its current settings, but I requested what settings for max performance, which they emailed me, I'll give that a go in a few weeks after I see what the current sets mpg is like.

Reading through there website, i think the box increases common rail pressure not increases fuelling. Increase the pressure that the fuel is injected in to the pistons and it will give you a leaner burn, this is what increases bhp or reduces mpg

tuning boxes have come a long since the resistor style boxes that i had on my old golf 2.0 tdi. They use digital processors to alter the signal from the ecu
      01-05-2015, 11:14 PM   #14
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Sounds good & like you've mentioned they are very well priced...my main concern is MPG with mine been the 3.0 litre D, as long as its no worse I'd be happy...your always going to boot it a bit more often after mapping/tuning box thats a given but with me working earlys and nites to and from work im in light traffic and just drive steady away.

The tuning box would be for weekend blasts !!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 10:28 AM   #15
wolly440
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmefield View Post
Sounds good & like you've mentioned they are very well priced...my main concern is MPG with mine been the 3.0 litre D, as long as its no worse I'd be happy...your always going to boot it a bit more often after mapping/tuning box thats a given but with me working earlys and nites to and from work im in light traffic and just drive steady away.

The tuning box would be for weekend blasts !!
They send the box out with settings for for mixed mpg/power gains. Its easy to adjust, I emailed them for there recommended setting for max bhp but not tried it yet
      01-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #16
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolly440 View Post
I was having the same dilema as Makkan. DTUK/RaceChip/live remap. At end of the day, it was cost that was the biggest factor. Not much increase in performace for twice the price. At the moment I'm happy with the performace on its current settings, but I requested what settings for max performance, which they emailed me, I'll give that a go in a few weeks after I see what the current sets mpg is like.

Reading through there website, i think the box increases common rail pressure not increases fuelling. Increase the pressure that the fuel is injected in to the pistons and it will give you a leaner burn, this is what increases bhp or reduces mpg

tuning boxes have come a long since the resistor style boxes that i had on my old golf 2.0 tdi. They use digital processors to alter the signal from the ecu
I am sure that Racechip is very good alternate especially when you consider the price.

Just out of interest, have you noticed black smoke?

I have not noticed any difference but then these days its dark and hard to notice smoke coming out of your tail pipes.
      01-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #17
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

I certainly wouldn't pay what DTUK want for a new one, a custom map can be had for the same price if not less. There's no comparison between a map and a tuning box.

DTUK have the worst customer service ever, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #18
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0063 View Post
DTUK have the worst customer service ever, too.
Completely agreed, especially if its used box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0063 View Post
I certainly wouldn't pay what DTUK want for a new one, a custom map can be had for the same price if not less. There's no comparison between a map and a tuning box.
However, if you do not want any warranty to your engine, then check ebay.
DTUK boxes come and sells b/w £100-150 and thats unbeatable price!
      01-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #19
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Just looked none on fleebay @ the mo that would work with my 330 D.......bugger
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #20
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Well i took the plunge and got a tuning box.....after what makkan00 said about DTUK and looking for 2nd hand boxes on fleebay i kept looking for one and today a CRD-T tuning box for a 330 D pop up, couple of emails back and fourth with the seller and its mine!!!!!

Its the slightly old model than the current ones available but there you go.....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 05:07 AM   #21
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Guys
..... Other plus factor with DTUK is that if you buy straight from them, you are insured if anything goes wrong to your engine..............
I'm in 2 minds and have been looking at both the RaceChip and DTUK as well. Where did you see reference to cover for your engine as I can only find reference to a 3 year warranty that covers the actual box?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 05:18 AM   #22
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmefield
Well i took the plunge and got a tuning box.....after what makkan00 said about DTUK and looking for 2nd hand boxes on fleebay i kept looking for one and today a CRD-T tuning box for a 330 D pop up, couple of emails back and fourth with the seller and its mine!!!!!

Its the slightly old model than the current ones available but there you go.....
Are the same boxes used on different models?
Appreciate 0