ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-14-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Alpine M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver/Red Z4MC

Sway Bars - Who has installed them? Please come inside.

Hi everyone,

I am starting to modify the coupe finally (got 2,500 miles on her already). Anyhow, with my old 350z the single-most impressive modification that I did to that car was the addition of a set of Hotchkis sway bars (bang for the buck).

I am wondering if the M coupe will see the same benefit. I see the advertised stiffness increase vs. 3.0si sport, but not vs. M. So I am not sure how stiff the existing M bars are.

If any owners have installed these on any of their coupes, please share your thoughts on the results.

Thanks,
Jim
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93894
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Uh, he said Sway Bars not Strut Bar. The link you sent him to is for a strut bar. I've never seen a thread for sway bar install didn't know anyone made one either.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

I know H&R and Hotchkis make bars for the Z. Stock diameters on the 3.0si are 25/19mm F/R (24/18mm for non-Sport) and the aftermarket bars are something like 27/21mm. I believe the torsional stiffness of a bar varies with diameter squared so if the end link geometry is the same I'd say the stiffness of the aftermarket bars is something like 15-20% greater than stock. Aftermarket bars are usually adjustable though, so this is just a first cut.

Update: A couple of things. First the M bars are significantly thicker than those on the 3.0si - realOEM says 27/22.5mm F/R. Also while 27/21mm is correct for the H&R bars, the Hotchkis are quite a bit bigger. Here's specs I downloaded...

Specifications:

- Front 28.5mm Tubular 3 Position Adjustable
- Stiffness: +19%,+38%+61% (Compared to stock Z4 Sport)

- Rear 24mm Tubular 2 Position Adjustable
- Stiffness +59%, +86% (Compared to stock Z4 Sport with 24mm front and 19mm rear)

It looks like the aftermarket bars I'm seeing are for the non-M Z4s. I don't know if the M and non-M bars are interchangeable. Regardless, it looks like the H&R bars are roughly the stiffness of the stock M bars, while the Hotchkis set up is subtantially stiffer than either. It would be nice to find out if the M and non-M bars are swappable as lots of us 3.0si drivers would probably just as soon install stock M bars as an aftermarket kit.

Update 2: A careful reading of realOEM shows that the part numbers for the end links the sway bars fit into are the same for the M and non-M Z4 coupes. I suspect this means that they are interchangeable (but somebody should definitely verify this before ordering anything).

Last edited by vachss; 01-14-2008 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
mister_roger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Maldives Blue 2.5i

I have the hotchkis sway bars myself and absolutely love them. They really did a job on stiffening up the ride and reducing body roll. But in comparison to the ///M factory bars, it appearss to be a very small upgrade. Maybe the difference won't be as noticable. And then there is the question of fitment as well. I thought that the ///MZ4 shared most of its rear suspension from the M3?

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

sorry . control arms ftw
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Alpine M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver/Red Z4MC

vachss,

Thank you for the very detailed reply!

I'll pick up a set and report back soon.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Bringing this post back a little bit.

For those who have added sway bars, I just want to confirm something: It should be a noticable reduction in body roll, right??

I upgraded my front only, since SCCA permits fooling with the front only in stock classes. My goal was to reduce body roll and a host of other things that should be beneficial despite the potential for increased understeer.

I have the H&R bar at the stiffest setting and noticed zero difference.

I cannot see any damaged end links or other problems, but felt there should be at least some noticeable difference. The difference between 3.0i sport and H&R is still a few mm in thickness... something seems strange, and the body roll still exists.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
xg3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Was 03 Z4, now 10 GTI

in my last car, mazda 3.. sway bar was more effective than springs in reducing bodyroll...

only reason i havn't done it to the Z4, is i was "hoping" for the same result, but you just gave me doubt..

can someone please confirm?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

To clarify my previous post: there IS a very noticable difference with the front sway only. My observations were skewed because I had a bad sway bar link.

After replacing that, the front is way tighter. It understeers like hell, but for daily driving it is way better. I am referring to H&R at the stiffest setting.

Another unintended benefit is that the steering wheel feels heavier and more precise.

I want now to get the rear as well, but first have to review the scca categories that I could compete in should I do the rear.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
..... It would be nice to find out if the M and non-M bars are swappable as lots of us 3.0si drivers would probably just as soon install stock M bars as an aftermarket kit.

Update 2: A careful reading of realOEM shows that the part numbers for the end links the sway bars fit into are the same for the M and non-M Z4 coupes. I suspect this means that they are interchangeable (but somebody should definitely verify this before ordering anything).
Did anyone ever determine if the M / nonM (3.0Si) bars are interchangeable?
      05-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver Z4 M Coupe

Talk to Palantirion about his Ground Control sways...he knows his stuff.
      05-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haretakis View Post
Talk to Palantirion about his Ground Control sways...he knows his stuff.
Good advice, should have talked to Earl first thing. Thanks.
      05-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
chinkwan
Rep
Drives: Z4 M

What about the M Coupe bars?? THis is for the M roadster crowd..

I think I read somewhere that the M Coupe Bars are thicker then the M Roadster?? Is that true??

Also, can somebody find out about the Ground Control Sways? I read from the OTHER forum that it needs to be modified to fit our cars???
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Did anyone ever determine if the M / nonM (3.0Si) bars are interchangeable?
The rear bars are not at all interchangeable (shaped to fit around different differentials). The fronts aren't exactly the same, but the M bars are said the be usable on the non-M "with minor modification". I haven't physically examined an M and non-M front bar together, but this info comes from the folks at BMS who have.
Appreciate 0