E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Valve Cover Gasket Gone

12-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
prowheelie92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Valve Cover Gasket Gone

hey guys so my valve cover gasket is leaking. Anyone know of some shops that do it around the nj area? also where is a good website i can buy the parts?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
dklobuci
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowheelie92 View Post
hey guys so my valve cover gasket is leaking. Anyone know of some shops that do it around the nj area? also where is a good website i can buy the parts?
I did mine at

Bergen Imports
Address: 228 Palisade Avenue, Cliffside Park, NJ 07010
Phone201) 943-2915

it cost me about $1,180 or something like that but my cover was also a bit cracked and leaking from there so they put a new cover on. that alone was nearly $500 and i also got oil filter gaskets changed as well! they do good work.

JB4 G5 ISO| DCI | BMS CF | OEM M-TECH F&R BUMPERS | AMUSE TRUNK |M6 RIMS |
My Build http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post16458808
Previous: 2012 g37xs coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
-The Truth
Speed doesn't kill, reckless driving does.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-sport

Go to Motorcepts in Queens. I'm not sure about Jersey.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
pharoh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Bimmer clinic in Woodbridge does great work too. They did my VC cover and gasket when it was leaking/cracked. They can get the parts or you can order it from ECS. I'd just let whoever does it get the parts. I originally ordered a VC gasket and turns out my VC was cracked. The new VC comes with a gasket so that was a waste.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Wow 600 in labor seems steep. I did mine myself in about 2 1/2 hrs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
Parth317
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 09 E92 335i(SOLD)

Just DIY. There's a good thread somewhere on the forum with clear instructions
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The Truth View Post
That was going to be my recommendation. I've only ever dealt with Motorcepts. Actually scared to go anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #8
glachhman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynTico506 View Post
That was going to be my recommendation. I've only ever dealt with Motorcepts. Actually scared to go anywhere else.
You sure about that?

Quote:
Hey guys,

So on July 3rd, right after I parked in front of my house my '08 328xi somehow lost all gears. R and D were neutral. Towed the car to BMW manhattan thinking that my aftermarket warranty would cover the repairs. BMW diagnosed it as a "Bad Shifter Valve" and wanted me to pay $1,300 to fix it, stating that my warranty would not cover because it was an electronic component. Thought the dealer was jerking me, towed the car to Motorcepts out in queens. Motorcepts had the car for a few days told me that my valve body had a crack in it. An adjuster came out to see the car and 3 days later the warranty company still denied payment. Stating the same as above "Electronic component" wasnt covered. So I speak to John and he says the job would cost me $3,500... I contact the dealer I got the car from and they want me to take the car to a shop that they deal with and split the costs of whatever the damages are. He told me that Motorcepts was out of their mind for that price and etc. Basically I'm trying to figure out what the TRUE costs of this are. I trust Motorcepts, but am still new to BMW's and dont know much about parts and labor... Please Help!

- BklynTico506
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
Yip
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 AW 328i - SOLD

this waz very hard i followed the diy and completed it after about 26 hours
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
vigsz
Rep
Drives: e92 07 335i

LOL at motorcepts
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
wesborl898
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

um. i recommend yip
      12-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

Originally Posted by -The Truth
That was going to be my recommendation. I've only ever dealt with Motorcepts. Actually scared to go anywhere else.Originally Posted by BklynTico506

Hey guys,

So on July 3rd, right after I parked in front of my house my '08 328xi somehow lost all gears. R and D were neutral. Towed the car to BMW manhattan thinking that my aftermarket warranty would cover the repairs. BMW diagnosed it as a "Bad Shifter Valve" and wanted me to pay $1,300 to fix it, stating that my warranty would not cover because it was an electronic component. Thought the dealer was jerking me, towed the car to Motorcepts out in queens. Motorcepts had the car for a few days told me that my valve body had a crack in it. An adjuster came out to see the car and 3 days later the warranty company still denied payment. Stating the same as above "Electronic component" wasnt covered. So I speak to John and he says the job would cost me $3,500... I contact the dealer I got the car from and they want me to take the car to a shop that they deal with and split the costs of whatever the damages are. He told me that Motorcepts was out of their mind for that price and etc. Basically I'm trying to figure out what the TRUE costs of this are. I trust Motorcepts, but am still new to BMW's and dont know much about parts and labor... Please Help!

- BklynTico506
Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
You sure about that?
So how did that issue get resolved BKLYNTICO? I'm currious bout Motorconcept mysef
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #13
Chocolatethunder
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline2001 View Post
That was going to be my recommendation. I've only ever dealt with Motorcepts. Actually scared to go anywhere else.Originally Posted by BklynTico506

Hey guys,

- BklynTico506

So how did that issue get resolved BKLYNTICO? I'm currious bout Motorconcept mysef
I've good experiences dealing with motorcepts so far primarily Leo, John just gets under my skin always trying to sell you some unnecessary expensive stuff. So i never deal with him.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline2001 View Post

Hey guys,

- BklynTico506

That issue actually worked out greatly. That Post was for my very first interaction with them and even more my first major issue with my car. So I was looking for opinions.
That was 2-3yrs ago and since that day they've been the only shop I go to for my car. Leo is always running around so I tend to deal with Fred and John more often. But they are great guys, always willing to help out if they can. Great customer service and even better mechanical work. I always recommend them to friends.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
You sure about that?
You definitely took an old post and turned it into something else. I never bad talked them, I was just looking for some advice. Once that situation was over with I felt I could trust them just fine, and as I stated before I've never had a problem working with them in my time with my E39 or E90.

If there is something YOU might have against them or a simple difference of opinion feel free to state it, but don't use a 2yr old post I made to TRY to do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Just about to buy one actually
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335i-N54_3.0L/ES18623/
      12-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
-The Truth
Speed doesn't kill, reckless driving does.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-sport

Quote:
You sure about that?
^^^
Exactly, I recommend Motorcepts simply because they get the job done the first time for an affordable price. I'm not going to quote an exact number of how much it cost me to do my valve cover gasket on my old BMW but it was around $500. Rallye BMW quoted me for $1,239 + tax which I wasn't willing to pay.

I personally don't deal with John because I don't have time for idle talk among other things. However, Leo and Fred will always take care of you within a reasonable time span and price. It makes you look childish and immature to bash a company, especially using a 2 year old post. If you don't recommend Motorcepts that's fine. It would be better to help by contributing valuable info rather than provide irrelevant anecdotal stories.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #18
glachhman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -The Truth View Post
^^^
Exactly, I recommend Motorcepts simply because they get the job done the first time for an affordable price. I'm not going to quote an exact number of how much it cost me to do my valve cover gasket on my old BMW but it was around $500. Rallye BMW quoted me for $1,239 + tax which I wasn't willing to pay.

I personally don't deal with John because I don't have time for idle talk among other things. However, Leo and Fred will always take care of you within a reasonable time span and price. It makes you look childish and immature to bash a company, especially using a 2 year old post. If you don't recommend Motorcepts that's fine. It would be better to help by contributing valuable info rather than provide irrelevant anecdotal stories.
Quote:
You definitely took an old post and turned it into something else. I never bad talked them, I was just looking for some advice. Once that situation was over with I felt I could trust them just fine, and as I stated before I've never had a problem working with them in my time with my E39 or E90.

If there is something YOU might have against them or a simple difference of opinion feel free to state it, but don't use a 2yr old post I made to TRY to do it for you.

Lets see, I said "You sure about that?" Tell me more about where I "turned it into something else" and "bash a company"
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:21 AM   #19
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
Lets see, I said "You sure about that?" Tell me more about where I "turned it into something else" and "bash a company"
Let's see... My original post in this thread was a recommendation. Obviously if I felt any other way I would have said so. U took the time out of your life to go to my profile, check my posts, repost a 2yr old comment to what cause or goal?
I'm done tho.

OP good luck getting it fixed wherever u decide to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
prowheelie92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Let's see... My original post in this thread was a recommendation. Obviously if I felt any other way I would have said so. U took the time out of your life to go to my profile, check my posts, repost a 2yr old comment to what cause or goal?
I'm done tho.

thanks! im keeping it with the valve cover leaking for now until i get some more money. the only part thts leaking is oil into the spark plug bank #3. is it important tht i resolve it asap?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #21
djkevinnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i FBO

Quote:
I'm done tho.

I'll tell you about what I know of Motorcepts....

My coworker brought his beautiful well moded 135 to Motorcepts to have his LSD and RSB installed. While they did do it for a great price, he had to return multiple times to get it rectified. After the first visit, he received the car and immediately asked that they take a second look at it since it isn't driving right. They made him come back the following Saturday and they took a second look at the car but were 100% sure that their work was right. Even though the car was sitting higher than it came in, it was unstable, etc. So after looking under the car himself and checking pictures, he determined the RSB was installed upside down. After multiple calls back and forth with Motorcepts and them so certain that their work was right, they finally took the car in a 3rd time, and guess what the issue was, the installed it upside down....

Second person I know brought his 335 in for a clutch job and rear main seal, work was completed and upon returning of the vehicle, they mentioned to him that the car didn't feel as fast as when he bought it in. Guy decided he would troubleshoot it himself, drove the car a few blocks from Motorcepts, noticed he wasn't getting any boost. Looked under the hood, they didn't plug in the vacuum lines to the boost canisters....

If you'd like to get work done there, go ahead. Just double check their work so it doesn't put you in a position that you end up spending more than you should have been for the job.
e90 jet black on terra//pure stage 2//fuel-it stage 3 lpfp & pi w. return//motiv tuned//vrsf dps//vtt inlets & outlets//helix fmic // er w. hks bov // bms dcis // spec stage 3+ w. mfactory smfw // cdv delete // clutch stopper // kw v1 // m3 control arms // whiteline fsb // cic|combox|backup camera retrofit // m3 headliner retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #22
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

What's going on here with the price?
Which car do you have?

My e93 328i valve cover gasket was leaking.
BMW dealer quote : $800
I got it done from Helix Motorsports in Philly: part $50-60, labor 2 hours @85. Total cost less than $300. I had other stuff too.
Appreciate 0