E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Dealer void my warranty

12-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
ticaohaha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Dealer void my warranty

Hi guys

Im living in Houston, Texas. I have E92 N55 xdrive. with FBO and meth kit for couple months. After i got towed ( flat bed was not used) , the car started to act weird for couple days. The engine shut down while driving for at least 2 times. Check engine light is on. Transmission sluggist, and cannot drive past 40 mph. Vibration when start up and when driving.
I brought the car to dealership , and they claimed it was bad fuel injector that caused the engine to act up strangly.

This morning, they called again and claim that because i have the methanol injection in my car. that is the cause for Fuel Injector went bad, and they said they will void my warranty.

Are they allowed to void warranty without diagnose or they can do it because the detected mods ?

Please help me ! And thank you for all the answers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
grizz311
Captain Rus
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

technically, the have to prove that the modification caused the damage, but I don't know if they will. This is scaring me, because I am pretty close to putting meth injection in my N55
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
grizz311
Captain Rus
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

but honestly, you should have pulled off everything before bringing it in to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Yes if the dealer can prove that a modification you did caused something to fail in the car then they can void the warranty. I would speak to them, find out what's going on and try to work something out; or get your car back and go to another dealer but take the mods off. You went in to the dealer to with a motor issue but left the engine mods on, that's the type of shit you would take off.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
ticaohaha
Private
United_States
Rep

My transfer case went bad few months ago. i went in with same thing, the advisor did not mention anything about the mods i have. This time the tranny act the same like last time, so i though it would be the same procedure. Sure i will have to take the car back and get all the mods out.

Do you think the dealer will leave some notes about mods on the service history that other dealer can check ?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticaohaha
My transfer case went bad few months ago. i went in with same thing, the advisor did not mention anything about the mods i have. This time the tranny act the same like last time, so i though it would be the same procedure. Sure i will have to take the car back and get all the mods out.

Do you think the dealer will leave some notes about mods on the service history that other dealer can check ?
No probably not. The adviser has no idea if you have any mods. He sits at a desk all day and doesn't work on cars. The tech on the other hand does and will notice more obvious mods like intakes. It's up to their discretion to talk to the adviser about it but they most likely will not.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
ticaohaha
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you very much for all the reply. Phew, at least i know that i still have a chance with other dealers
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
ticaohaha
Private
United_States
Rep

Just more question. In case i have to pay out of the pocket for Fuel injector. How much will it cost to replace all of the injectors ?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

If I was you, I would find a good bmw mechanic, take it there, and pay for it.
And in the future, you gotta take those things out when your taking it in for something like that. For example, I took my car in for rough idle; I removed my intake, CP and tune. When I took it in for an oil change, I didn't take anything out.
      12-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticaohaha View Post
Hi guys

Im living in Houston, Texas. I have E92 N55 xdrive. with FBO and meth kit for couple months. After i got towed ( flat bed was not used) , the car started to act weird for couple days. The engine shut down while driving for at least 2 times. Check engine light is on. Transmission sluggist, and cannot drive past 40 mph. Vibration when start up and when driving.
I brought the car to dealership , and they claimed it was bad fuel injector that caused the engine to act up strangly.

This morning, they called again and claim that because i have the methanol injection in my car. that is the cause for Fuel Injector went bad, and they said they will void my warranty.

Are they allowed to void warranty without diagnose or they can do it because the detected mods ?

Please help me ! And thank you for all the answers
People have had their warranty voided for having an aftermarket intake (consider how ludicrous this is when BMW actually sells a performance intake). There is an act of Congress called the Magnuson-Moss act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

The gist is that the dealer has to prove that the damage was caused by the aftermarket part. In your case, you are doing meth injection so they can directly correlate that to engine damage.

Its always better to remove your mods before you car goes to the dealer. Mods like meth injection are best done after your factory warranty has expired.

Take your car to a shop specializing in BMW. Most have former BMW mechanics doing the work:
http://www.bimmershops.com/search?q=houston
      12-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry to hear that but it is expected when you take your car to the dealership with meth kit still installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Yeah, I'd say meth kit is one of the worst ones to keep on for warranty preservation.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
And that is the exact reason I don't have a meth kit on my car. It is a PITA to uninstall when it goes in as I am still CPO.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

I think you're screwed.

You've posted to a popular forum, your info has your city in it, and you brought your car in for engine issues with a meth kit installed.

The meth kit can definitely be shown to have a deleterious effect on the engine's life and performance.
      12-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #15
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

How did you know it wasn't towed by a flatbed? Did you authorize it? If not, you should go after the tow company for fucking up your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Why does it need to be towed by a flatbed? Doesn't putting it in neutral keep it from getting damaged?
      12-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
People have had their warranty voided for having an aftermarket intake (consider how ludicrous this is when BMW actually sells a performance intake). There is an act of Congress called the Magnuson-Moss act.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

The gist is that the dealer has to prove that the damage was caused by the aftermarket part. In your case, you are doing meth injection so they can directly correlate that to engine damage.

Its always better to remove your mods before you car goes to the dealer. Mods like meth injection are best done after your factory warranty has expired.

Take your car to a shop specializing in BMW. Most have former BMW mechanics doing the work:
http://www.bimmershops.com/search?q=houston
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a propaganda being promoted by SEMA. This act only applies to non-OEM direct replacement parts, not aftermarket performance oriented parts. Read the fine print or consult a lawyer if you don't believe otherwise.

Here's a more detailed explanation of how the act works:
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #18
LSx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune View Post
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a propaganda being promoted by SEMA. This act only applies to non-OEM direct replacement parts, not aftermarket performance oriented parts. Read the fine print or consult a lawyer if you don't believe otherwise.

Exactly.

Can't believe how many times people post this misinformation on car forums, the dealership doesn't have to prove anything, the simple fact that you have performance modifications in place allows them to void your warranty and any lawyer that says he'll fight your case is going to want to take your money up front because he knows it's a loser.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
Supra2k6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I noticed a lot of people here get pushed around and bullied by the dealership. I understand BMW is not the easiest company to work with but when you purchase a +$55,000 car you should expect $55,000 service.

I used to be a tech for Infiniti back in High school and i mean an actual tech not a oil tech. They used to warranty everything that made sense and take care of the customer. they would do anything to get their dealership rating up we were second in sales and top 5 service in the east coast.

To the people that defend BMW i don't understand why you would be on BMW's side and discourage anybody to fight them. I remember when my friends m3 got denied for warranty my friend asked me to call them and i chewed the service writer off he claimed that the car should've be pushed i told him if i'm paying a premium for a race version of a 3 series the car should perform later BMW NA approved all repairs.

It's obviously better to avoid issues and take mods off but if the dealership is trying to push you around like a 2 year old then you need to grow some balls.

To the OP
This a direct injection engine so it's very unlikely that the meth messed up your injector. Meth has been around for years if that was the case everybody's injectors would go out. You should go back and fight this and have him explain how exactly this messed up your injector in one cylinder and not all since the meth is injected on before the TB.

2 cents
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #20
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by narstune View Post

I am an attorney and am trying to make the same point you are making. People cite Magnusson Moss all the time on these forums but it doesn't provide any real protection to the consumer. People have had their warranty voided for DP, intake etc.

A consumer can argue that a part is an non-OEM direct replacement even though it may be considered a performance part, e.g., DP, so that distinction is pointless. Heck, the dealer can void your warranty because you used a different brand of oil, if they really wanted to. Bottom line is that the dealer can void your warranty for just about anything and with mods like meth, they will void it.
      12-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #21
ticaohaha
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the reply guys. The reason i did not take meth kit out is: the last time i went in for transfer case replacement, the meth was there , and no one said anything about it. But this time , when i bought the car back for the same reason. Transfer case act up again. But the dealer claims it was bad injection to cause the problem.

One thing i feel not right, how can the injection went bad after i got towed last weekend? The meth was there with my car for half a year.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
ticaohaha
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra2k6 View Post
I noticed a lot of people here get pushed around and bullied by the dealership. I understand BMW is not the easiest company to work with but when you purchase a +$55,000 car you should expect $55,000 service.

I used to be a tech for Infiniti back in High school and i mean an actual tech not a oil tech. They used to warranty everything that made sense and take care of the customer. they would do anything to get their dealership rating up we were second in sales and top 5 service in the east coast.

To the people that defend BMW i don't understand why you would be on BMW's side and discourage anybody to fight them. I remember when my friends m3 got denied for warranty my friend asked me to call them and i chewed the service writer off he claimed that the car should've be pushed i told him if i'm paying a premium for a race version of a 3 series the car should perform later BMW NA approved all repairs.

It's obviously better to avoid issues and take mods off but if the dealership is trying to push you around like a 2 year old then you need to grow some balls.

To the OP
This a direct injection engine so it's very unlikely that the meth messed up your injector. Meth has been around for years if that was the case everybody's injectors would go out. You should go back and fight this and have him explain how exactly this messed up your injector in one cylinder and not all since the meth is injected on before the TB.

2 cents
Thank you for your reply, i did went back there for half day yesterday. But the service advisor not doing anything else. He keep claiming on after market injection ( meth) makes the fuel injector gone bad. I did have a good mechanic with me at that time to talk to their's. But thing still not going anywhere .
Appreciate 0