E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Dead Battery, I'm in the hospital- Help

01-11-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Exclamation Dead Battery, I'm in the hospital- Help

Hey all, well long story short. I have been in the hospital for over 2 months and hopefully will be getting out here shortly. I told my sister while I'm gone to take my 335 out of my garage for a short spin every once in a while to keep the battery charged and whatnot. Well, apparently she hasn't been doing it as often as it needs since she calls me today and says that the battery was dead. She couldn't unlock the car or anything so I had to talk her through how to use the manual key to get in the car. I told her to try starting it, but nothing.

First problem, I am unable to deal with the car directly since I am in the hospital, so I have to have friends/family deal with it. Secondly, the car has a Procede so I really don't want to have it taken to the dealer without removing it.

Pardon my ignorance (and not to mention I'm on a couple vicadin right now....hahaha ), because I haven't ever had an issue with the battery on this car or my e90 330 I had before. Can't I just have them go and buy a new battery?

What kind do you recommend if that matters?

Thanks all, hopefully this will get resolved because I would REALLY like to be able to drive my car home when I can finally get the hell out of here..........
      01-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #2
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to just replace the battery. Being mounted in the trunk might give them a bit of a surprise, but I think its still just a straight forward swap....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokX View Post
Hey all, well long story short. I have been in the hospital for over 2 months and hopefully will be getting out here shortly. I told my sister while I'm gone to take my 335 out of my garage for a short spin every once in a while to keep the battery charged and whatnot. Well, apparently she hasn't been doing it as often as it needs since she calls me today and says that the battery was dead. She couldn't unlock the car or anything so I had to talk her through how to use the manual key to get in the car. I told her to try starting it, but nothing.

First problem, I am unable to deal with the car directly since I am in the hospital, so I have to have friends/family deal with it. Secondly, the car has a Procede so I really don't want to have it taken to the dealer without removing it.

Pardon my ignorance (and not to mention I'm on a couple vicadin right now....hahaha ), because I haven't ever had an issue with the battery on this car or my e90 330 I had before. Can't I just have them go and buy a new battery?

Thanks all, hopefully this will get resolved because I would REALLY like to be able to drive my car home when I can finally get the hell out of here..........
There is a terminal in the engine pay so that you can hook up jumper cables to the car, then just hook the other end of the cable to something metal in the engine bay as the ground. If the car is able to be jumped tell someone to let it run for about 20 minutes or so after being jumped and then take it for a drive for a while (battery charges better while driving).

If it is so dead they can't jump her get a tow truck to come because many have chargers that can jump a completely dead battery as long as the battery is still good, which your should be. Draining a battery thats new shouldn't kill it.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
khoda355
Captain
Rep
Drives: EG hatch/ E90

no dont just get a charger and charge it! i di the same thing, i got the car when i was 15 and we whent on a trip and than when i came back couldnt start it, just tell her to pop the hood and charge the battery, rather than going out and buying a new one charger is best, i got it from a friend, works grate! + u can just leave it on charge untill u get back? keep it nice and charged! hope this helped!

khoda
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 12:58 AM   #5
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

yup, needs a good jump, let it run for a bit and have someone drive it around.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #6
pacman
Lieutenant Colonel
India
Rep
Drives: 325i

call bmw road side assistance.... they will send someone like AAA to ur place (no charge) and have them charge it for u... nothing to worry abt
      01-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Since the battery is already dead, and you think that you'll be getting out soon - why bother. Seriously... just wait and call roadside assistance to give you a jump, and then take it for a long drive to fully charge.

Hope you are better and out soon.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Since the battery is already dead, and you think that you'll be getting out soon - why bother. Seriously... just wait and call roadside assistance to give you a jump, and then take it for a long drive to fully charge.

Hope you are better and out soon.
+1, no need to worry about it. Just do it when you get home. What's the point in getting it started before you're home? Others will just drive it. The only reason you want to get it started is so that the battery won't drain, and now it's already dead.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

get a local mechanic...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Good luck man! What were you in the hospital with for 2 months???

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
Grumpa72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Glad to hear you are getting out the hospital soon. I wouldn't jump a completely dead battery with a set of cables because it then puts a severe strain on the alternator. Your best bet is to put a charger on it, hopefully one with logic built into it, and then charge your battery for 5-6 hours. Fwiw, alternators are not designed to bring a dead battery back to life and fully charge it. Chargers are.

Btw, I laughed out loud when I read that you had to walk your sister through using the key. Reminds me of a story my neighbor told me. He was standing outside of a national chain for auto parts and the young lady was explaining that her car was locked and the remote was dead. She couldn't get into her car. The young man behind the counter took the remote and pressed this button and that button to no avail. He then suggested that she call the dealer or a locksmith. Just then my friend reached over, borrowed the KEYS and unlocked the car. He walked away, shaking his head!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Word of advice, don't let the car sit in one spot for way too long. You'll turn your tires square and they will flat bottom. I know because it happen to a friend of mine. Had to replace two of the tires as they created a shimmer thru the steering wheel.
      01-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Have them jump your battery and drive the car for about 30 min. with the RPM above 2500-3000 that should be enought for the alternator to put back some charge.
      01-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #14
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

or get a battery tender. but yea like everyone said, just let it be and worry about it later. its not completely dead, so you can recharge it. sucks tho you might have to reprogram everything, like radio blah blah.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #15
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

How can a battery go dead in just two months? It can't be that old - he has a 335. Do BMWs have a lot of electronics that run even when the car is turned off?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #16
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TambourineMan View Post
How can a battery go dead in just two months? It can't be that old - he has a 335. Do BMWs have a lot of electronics that run even when the car is turned off?
That is weird...since we assume your sister ran it at least once or more...so it has not been 2 months...
I have been on business trips for 4 weeks before leaving the car in the garage with no one touching it and had no issues.
Before, I left my Honda in the garage for 1.5 months while in Europe and came back and it started no problems...
Why would it drain so much and so fast?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #17
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokX View Post

why would you have to replace the battery just jump it or have them put a charger on it. Should be fine.

On a side note: 2 months in the hospital? Must be serious I hope you are okay. Don't worry about the car when you get out of the hospital charge the battery or just jump it and take it for a nice ride to let the alternator recharge it.
You should be ok...but I don't think there is anything urgent about it especially since you are going to be getting out of the hospital soon.

Good Luck
Lou
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I think your sista is taking advantage of you while you are still high on vicadin and not tell you the truth on why the bat dies

get well soon!
      01-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
f30Seth
Futuristic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: f30 328i AW

Maybe The Battery Isn't Dead....
      01-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
catie
Rep
Drives: 328i and 335i

My 328i sat for some time, and the battery went dead - so dead it couldn't be revived. Charging it worked for a very limited time - like maybe a day. So yes, I can see where you might have a weak battery that may work after charging - or not. If it's really toast, I would think BMW would replace it if you take it to the dealer. If you don't want to take it to the dealer, try a salvage yard. FWIW, an X3 battery will work, and it has more CCA. Good luck and get well!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #21
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Call BMW assist. They'll send a tow truck out and he'll start it right up.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 01:35 AM   #22
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Thanks for the replies. Yeah its not a HUGE deal right now, but just one of those little PITA things. A friend of mine has a battery tender so I'll have him hook that up and see how things go.

As for the hospital thing, thank God its almost over. I came in for surgery Nov 7th for a bone infection and to fix a pressure sore (I am a paraplegic). The bad thing is with that you can't apply ANY pressure to the surgery area until it is healed. So I had to lay in a sand/air bed for 8+ weeks. The VA sucks ass, worst hospital food ever (thank God for takeout and delivery ) no internet, barely a phone for local calls, and 10 channels on the tv with two of those being security cameras overlooking the parking garage. I don't know how I haven't gone insane. /end rant:. Luckily I have my laptop and have an air card for internet. Then I brought one of my LCD tvs from home with my Xbox 360. I knew I was going to be here for a while and came prepared.

And also I've been spending too much time buying mods for my car haha. Damn mod bug.........

Painted Reflectors
Black Kidney Grilles (I'm going to paint the lower mesh myself)
Aero Lip
iForged Daytonas in matte black, 19x8 19x10
Euro headlight switch for rear fogs
Rear License Plate LEDs
Procede V2 upgrade
UR HFC downpipes
UR Exhaust

Did I mention I can't wait to get the hell out of this place and go home?