THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MPE exhaust tips coming out unequal

12-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
worktolivelife
Private
Rep
Drives: Mine

MPE exhaust tips coming out unequal

Looking underneath can't see how this is possible but the tip on the drivers side is some 10-15mm longer ( tips have been removed so the difference is in the actual exhaust placement. The only reason I can see is the welded sections must be out causing it, thinking manufacturing tolerances as opposed to Fitment fault. Any thoughts Gents

Thanks

Last edited by worktolivelife; 12-03-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Enovoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i - 15' M235i

Same on my MPE. It doesn't really bother me though because you can't really notice unless you look closely.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
worktolivelife
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covo_M View Post
Same on my MPE. It doesn't really bother me though because you can't really notice unless you look closely.
Thanks! for your feedback don't feel so bothered now guess I could adjust the one tip out further to match but they stick out quite far already with both tips pushed fully on, must learn to control my OCD on a new car cheers again for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
MG 228i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i, 340i 6MT, i3S

My right tip is 1 degree higher than the left tip.
Come on BMW!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:55 AM   #5
worktolivelife
Private
Rep

Apparently they may all be like that, due to manufacturing tolerances and the adjustable tips are designed as such to compensate, read "so you don't notice"
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post
Looking underneath can't see how this is possible but the tip on the drivers side is some 10-15mm longer ( tips have been removed so the difference is in the actual exhaust placement. The only reason I can see is the welded sections must be out causing it, thinking manufacturing tolerances as opposed to Fitment fault. Any thoughts Gents

Thanks
See if you can measure the length from the elbow of the exhaust to the exhaust exit on both sides. If they are both correct, then you might try loosening the slip clamp that connects the muffler to the Mid pipe and seeing if you can get it to line up that way. Check to make sure the system is sitting correctly on all the exhaust hangers and Re-tighten.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
worktolivelife
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
See if you can measure the length from the elbow of the exhaust to the exhaust exit on both sides. If they are both correct, then you might try loosening the slip clamp that connects the muffler to the Mid pipe and seeing if you can get it to line up that way. Check to make sure the system is sitting correctly on all the exhaust hangers and Re-tighten.
Pipe work sweep from the elbows out! As you suggested.
Which may be normal apparently (BMW Advised) within reasonable acceptable tolerances from manufacturer. Adjust tailpipe trims to accommodate.
I did notice however if you try to adjust the trim out by too much you do get a noticeable gap where the trim slides on and the exhaust finishes which doesn't
Look as OEM. An issue with cutting the original exhaust too short also, it just doesn't look " As One "
The exhaust should fit into the recess lip of the trim I believe ideally
Appreciate 0