Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Siciliano611
Major
Rep
Drives: SMB M6GC

Question regarding NOW PLAYING section of multimedia and next button on steering whl?

Ok so I just got my new M4 last night and was playing around with the split screen and functionality of idrive with my ipod this morning. I noticed two things I don't reallylike coming from my e92 m3....first off there's no next button on the steering wheel to go to the next song...instead that wheel on the right side of the steering wheel can cycle through songs but if you just wanna change to the next song, everytime id have to move the wheel a notch and push it in...thats kinda stupid. Also, I notice that there is no view on the idrive screen where you see artist/song/album AS WELL AS are able to scroll through the songs at the same time. You are either in the now playing (where you can just scroll songs with no artist/title/album) or you are on the artist/title/album/art screen.....

I guess I could have entertainment details on the right side of split screen and the now playing on the left but I've always liked having the map facing north on the right side of the split....

Anyone got any solutions or noticed these couple things?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Lister
Jimjamz
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Mineral Grey

If you use the roller on the right side of the steering wheel near the volume buttons the tracks will change up and down on the instrument cluster. Pushing down on the roller will select the track.

Btw - I have a right side wheel as I'm in Oz, so it's possible the left roller will work for you.
2001 E46 330i Sedan Silver
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I remember that when I was going from my e90 335i to my B8 S4 I was so annoyed by the fact that I lost the simple forward back button on the steering wheel (S4 has a similar setup to the M4). My main problem with it is that I always have my playlists on random but the list shown is still in alphabetical order so it not as simple as just going one item down and selecting it.

In the S4 I actually ended up not using the wheel scroll bar but instead the forward/back buttons on the center console, which were located below the shifter next to the scroll wheel in the S4 so it was very convenient. Now in my M4 these sames buttons are literally located on the console at the farthest point away from the driver so its a PITA to use them.

I'm still trying to figure out the most comfortable way to go to the next song. Hopefully I just get used to the scroll wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Yea annoying for me too. Sometimes I catch myself using the NEXT button on the dash next to the 1-8 customizable buttons.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #5
Rusk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4John View Post
I remember that when I was going from my e90 335i to my B8 S4 I was so annoyed by the fact that I lost the simple forward back button on the steering wheel (S4 has a similar setup to the M4). My main problem with it is that I always have my playlists on random but the list shown is still in alphabetical order so it not as simple as just going one item down and selecting it.

In the S4 I actually ended up not using the wheel scroll bar but instead the forward/back buttons on the center console, which were located below the shifter next to the scroll wheel in the S4 so it was very convenient. Now in my M4 these sames buttons are literally located on the console at the farthest point away from the driver so its a PITA to use them.

I'm still trying to figure out the most comfortable way to go to the next song. Hopefully I just get used to the scroll wheel.
I was just coming on here to ask if there is anyway to change the A-Z view when using the wheel scroll. I too use random on my entire music collection on a USB HDD. All I want to do is have next track on the wheel, I don't mind scroll and click.

Luckily having the wheel on the right (and right! ) side means the next arrows on the dash and next to me so not too bad to use but still have to take your hand off the wheel.
BMW M4 - Tanzanite Blue, Silverstone Full Merino Leather, M DCT, Comfort Access, Reversing Camera, Sun Protection Glass, Extended Storage, Armrest with sliding adjustment, Interior trim finisher - Pearl Chrome, Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Surround-View Camera, M Head-up Display, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound, Internet, Online Entertainment, Speed Limit Display, Piano Black Interior BMW Individual.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Bimmer4John
Bimmer Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2010 Audi S4  [6.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
I was just coming on here to ask if there is anyway to change the A-Z view when using the wheel scroll. I too use random on my entire music collection on a USB HDD. All I want to do is have next track on the wheel, I don't mind scroll and click.

Luckily having the wheel on the right (and right! ) side means the next arrows on the dash and next to me so not too bad to use but still have to take your hand off the wheel.
Haha, I will concede that in this one instance right hand drive is better. Nevertheless I think we both know what the proper side to drive on is
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
DasMonkey
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I gotta admit this really irks me. Waiting for my delivery next week, but was amazed at this step backward in every day utility. So, they take the great cruise control system that was on its own dedicated stalk and take over half of the prime real estate on the steering wheel. Cruise control is something that is used infrequently and now it takes the place on the wheel of something that I used every single time I got in the car. The little rolly and click thing is nowhere near as quick and intuitive as the buttons from the E90 etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMonkey View Post
I gotta admit this really irks me.
I hate how the audio controls are on the right side instead of the left.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #9
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
Ok so I just got my new M4 last night and was playing around with the split screen and functionality of idrive with my ipod this morning. I noticed two things I don't reallylike coming from my e92 m3....first off there's no next button on the steering wheel to go to the next song...instead that wheel on the right side of the steering wheel can cycle through songs but if you just wanna change to the next song, everytime id have to move the wheel a notch and push it in...thats kinda stupid. Also, I notice that there is no view on the idrive screen where you see artist/song/album AS WELL AS are able to scroll through the songs at the same time. You are either in the now playing (where you can just scroll songs with no artist/title/album) or you are on the artist/title/album/art screen.....

I guess I could have entertainment details on the right side of split screen and the now playing on the left but I've always liked having the map facing north on the right side of the split....

Anyone got any solutions or noticed these couple things?
+1 so annoying especially I had this and was used to it for the past 12 years in my previous e46. I haven't found another way except in some cases, pressing on the idrive joystick left or right does the trick. I have to remember if this was for radio or media and noticed you have to be in top of the next/previous icons to do this. Blows me why they trmoved this from steering wheel...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #10
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Bumping an oldie. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of ways to randomize my music list so when I use the scroll wheel the alphabetical list is actually a random list.

Anyone made any progress on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
Marth06
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I thought the same thing when I first got the M3. My old E60 M5 had the up down button on steering wheel.
But I've got used to the roller button now and don't mind it....still easy to skip a song.....
Appreciate 0