E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > sky tv

01-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

sky tv

Hi does anybody know how sky tv is routed through hotels etc where they obviously dont have multiple dishes like one dish to every fourth room,Ihave a sky dish with a quad lnb on the dish so this lets me run four sky digital boxes.Now if i want to go to sky plus i need two cables to each box so this cuts my rooms down to 2.we have the worst terestial signal ever in our area so had a sky dish with a quad aerial and in all four tv areas have sky digital quality pictures FABULOUS.but would like to now explore other options ,I think i read about a gadget called a shifter that they install in the roof space that connects to the dish with the availability to connect loads of boxes to ??? like in hotels and blocks of flats ,or a special cable thats known as shotgun cable two cables in one ?? any help would be great thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Not sure how it is done but sky even offer the service specifically aimed at this type of install....

http://www.business.sky.com/hotels.asp

Most hotels, etc normally have far bigger dishes installed than residential 60cm ones
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
JamboChris
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Octo LNB

Hi,

To get 4 sky+ boxes connected to one dish you need an octo LNB. This would replace the Quad LNB you currently have and give you up to 8 outputs.

Something like this from Maplin:

http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Deli...B_97911_v2.htm

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
Hi does anybody know how sky tv is routed through hotels etc where they obviously dont have multiple dishes like one dish to every fourth room,Ihave a sky dish with a quad lnb on the dish so this lets me run four sky digital boxes.Now if i want to go to sky plus i need two cables to each box so this cuts my rooms down to 2.we have the worst terestial signal ever in our area so had a sky dish with a quad aerial and in all four tv areas have sky digital quality pictures FABULOUS.but would like to now explore other options ,I think i read about a gadget called a shifter that they install in the roof space that connects to the dish with the availability to connect loads of boxes to ??? like in hotels and blocks of flats ,or a special cable thats known as shotgun cable two cables in one ?? any help would be great thanks in advance
I spent around 7 years of my life project managing the construction of new hotels

You would normally have a decoder box for every channel offered, all connected to a single dish. Usually the dish would be very similar to a domestic one.

A single LNB can pick up several channels simultaneously, provided they are all from the same satellite. So if you offer 8 sky channels you may only need a Quad LNB.

The decoders which share an LNB are just 'daisy chained' together using cable splitters.

The decoders are then wired down to the bedroom TV's with RF cable or using CAT5 cable if you want to provide pay per view services as well. Each TV channel is tuned to a corresponding decoders output.

This is different to a domestic situation, because you want to have individual control over each channel at each decoder - rather than one decoder per channel.

On this basis the Octo LNB suggestion sounds best.

Last edited by NFS; 01-10-2008 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0