ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Installed Bavsound stage 1 on my HK F80 M3 with full leather and sunshades

My Bavsound package arrived yesterday, and since it is a holiday weekend with great weather in NOLA (70's today) I decided to install my stage 1 upgrade.
It took 4 hours yesterday to do the door speakers and 1 hour today to do the front center and two rear deck areas. I wanted to share my thoughts and some pics.

Installation notes: The bavsound install video is fairly comprehensive. One glaring omission: how annoying removing and reinstalling tweeters is in the rear doors with sunshades.
See the first pic below. The sunshade is not easily removable, so I didn't remove it. It's a pain in the ass.
The bracket needs the tweeter to be pushed in a specific way -- it took a while to figure that out.
Also one of the two brackets made it quite hard to remove the tweeter -- I broke one of the HK tweeters removing it.
Aside from that, again, the videos demonstrate things well. Removing the center channel grille is EZPZ.
Each door panel removal / speaker replacement/ panel reinstall took about an hour (thus 4 hours for doors as noted above).
I installed some speakers in my E46 M3 and my own amp; this was much easier. I am a fan of the bavsound toolkit, although it did duplicate some of my other tools.
I don't think this install is hard but you have to be comfortable with prying BMW plastic.

Sound notes: I am quite pleased with the $800/5 hour upgrade. Much richer midbass. No annoying piano resonance issues.
More accurate highs without the harshness of the HK. Completely worth it for anyone who wants more than the HK, but doesn't want to cut or splice.
You can play much louder without distortion or other annoying sound artifacts. Can't recommend it enough.

Pics: first is that annoying tweeter bracket. Others are just random shots of the install.

Center channel:

Rears:

Appreciate 4
      11-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Great post. I have been waiting for a report for bavsound's HK upgrade. Nice job.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew115
Great post. I have been waiting for a report for bavsound's HK upgrade. Nice job.
Thanks.

One omission from my post: no new rattles and you absolutely cannot tell that anything was done except that aluminum tweeter rings are visible through the grille.

Also, when removing the door handle trim on the full leather (and likely in any other F8x) there is a notch on the underside to start with your removal tool.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Great write-up and pictures! Thanks for putting in the time to do so. How do you have your EQ set now? I assume flat or close to flat? Are the low's clearer overall since the mid-bass frequencies are more accurate?
      11-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

I just placed an order for my kit. Last day for the 10th anniversary sale
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
Great write-up and pictures! Thanks for putting in the time to do so. How do you have your EQ set now? I assume flat or close to flat? Are the low's clearer overall since the mid-bass frequencies are more accurate?
I've set it at flat for now. The lows are much clearer. Thankfully, harshness from the high end is also gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
I've set it at flat for now. The lows are much clearer. Thankfully, harshness from the high end is also gone.
Hows the bass response ?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
Hows the bass response ?
It's good. It doesn't have the thump that a big sub would bring but the underseat subs are not bad at all. Definitely improved with the midbass driver change.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

BAVSOUND is well worth it and an easy installation
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Great write up.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
MAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Super helpful thread - thank you to everyone that contributed!

My install was in a 2016 F80 HK with leather and rear window shades.

The hints were awesome:
- Don't remove window controls (front and back)
- Don't disconnect panels - put on a box
- Slipping in the rear tweeter behind the window shade was a pain. I just had to keep trying and finally it sat in right. This was probably the hardest part.
- The tool kit was essential

Another note:
- The center front should have a warning about not over tightening the screws as they easily strip - one of three was shot but the others were tight with no vibration.

It took about 4 hours and with the hints on various threads, was pretty painless. The video on the website was helpful, but not up-to-date re: the issues above.

The sound is much better and this was worth the upgrade. The biggest change is "fatigue." I didn't quite understand what this was, but now that I can listen to loud, clear music without getting a headache, I understand what it means.

Looking forward to the underseat subs....
Appreciate 0