Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

11-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
BK9731
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Winter with M3

Happy Thanksgivings everyone.

After going back and forth between M3 and Macan Turbo (which is no sports car but still impressive for what it is), I've finally settled on M3.I have one coming in mid December (19inch with standard brakes). As this will be my DD I have some concerns about winter/snow in NJ/NY. This will be my second winter in northern NJ and my Audi S4 with All Seasons did fine last winter. This time I'll be putting on winters on the M3 which is a different animal from S4. My question is which winter tires are suitable in NJ winter. I do quite a bit of driving daily with mixture of freeway (though it's not free in NJ) and in town driving. If anyone have experiences with Pirelli Sotto Zero/Michelin Alpine 4/Blizzak LM-32 in NJ/NY area, I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks. BK.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Michelin Alpine 4 or Blizzak LM-32 will be more than enough for your needs.

We just got 2' of snow here in 48 hrs, M3 been handling like a dream on my 18" Continental Winter Contac tires. Fun to do donuts in empty parking lots. Have no issues with stop and go on ice/snow covered roads.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
racerblade
Costco Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
Michelin Alpine 4 or Blizzak LM-32 will be more than enough for your needs.

We just got 2' of snow here in 48 hrs, M3 been handling like a dream on my 18" Continental Winter Contac tires. Fun to do donuts in empty parking lots. Have no issues with stop and go on ice/snow covered roads.
I'm looking for a set of 18" rims, with the correct clearance for the standard M brakes on the M4.

What size/brand rims are you using? I have an old set of 18" rims from an E46 M3, but the inner diameter is too narrow to clear the calipers on the M4.
      02-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerblade View Post
I'm looking for a set of 18" rims, with the correct clearance for the standard M brakes on the M4.

What size/brand rims are you using? I have an old set of 18" rims from an E46 M3, but the inner diameter is too narrow to clear the calipers on the M4.
I'm not OP or Kartelli but I just used my stock OEM 513M wheels and replaced the tires with Blizzak LM-32 with 255/40 at all four corners. You can always buy a set used and slap some winter tires on them, or get the 640M wheel and tire combo, though thats a pricey option. Other aftermarket 18" wheel that fit would be the BBS-SR or Apex wheels (forgot which models).
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0