E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E92 2.0i Software Updated

01-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
bells0
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23D

E92 2.0i Software Updated

As some of u will know my 2.0i Coupe was playing up with the engine warning light and lumpy, faltering engine at low revs.

Had the Software update put on it yesterday. All seemed good. It seemed to pull a little better, tickover was lower and quieter and it doesn't seem to stutter at low revs.

On way to work this morning...........the darn light came back on again!!!

So Bmw have told me to keep an eye on to see if it stays on tonight, if so, it has to go back in.

Feck.
      01-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Bloody hell Bells0 I'm really sorry to hear that. It's interesting though. I opened the bonnet this weekend on mine for the first time since I got it back, to top up the washer bottle and noticed something odd. I thought I would sound like a conspiracy theorist mentioning it out of the blue, but here goes.....

Now, I check the oil regularly and always have done but with the new petrols you obviously don't need to lift the bonnet to do so, as it's an electronic gauge. Before the car went tits up I had topped the oil up and it had come to one increment below the max level on the gauge using the partly used bottle that I had, which was exactly how it had been left when it was towed away. I'm a bit of a wierdo when it comes to some things (ahem) and I always put the oil filler cap on so that the writing is facing the front of the car (yes, anal I know). Anyway, this weekend, I noticed that the oil filler cap was on a different way (90 degrees clockwise in case you're interested), which in turn made me realise that the oil is now at a higher (max) level than when I gave the car to the dealer. I hadn't realised this before and I haven't topped it up since it was returned to me. I therefore suspect that it has had a little more than just software replaced.

Dunno, it maybe nothing , but why would the oil filler cap be moved and there be more oil in the engine than there was previously if it had only had a software update? I've considered calling the dealer but haven't so far as I'm not sure I want to hear the answer if you know what I mean.

Anyway, sorry again to hear about this, good luck Bells0 and let us know how you go.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post

Dunno, it maybe nothing , but why would the oil filler cap be moved and there be more oil in the engine than there was previously if it had only had a software update? I've considered calling the dealer but haven't so far as I'm not sure I want to hear the answer if you know what I mean.
I would expect the dealer to give the car a quick once over and top up anything that needs it. Sounds like good customer service to me.
Ken
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kend View Post
I would expect the dealer to give the car a quick once over and top up anything that needs it. Sounds like good customer service to me.
Ken
The dealer topped up the oil on my car when he had it in for some body work.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
CrimsonRedE93
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E93 330d+

Garage List
Sorry to hear that Bells0, I hope it either clears itself or you get it sorted quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kend View Post
Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The dealer topped up the oil on my car when he had it in for some body work.

Blimey, never come across that before. If that's the case well that's brilliant and I am just a conspiracy theorist after all!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
My stealer or soon to be ex stealer never tops up my car whenever its been in.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
yatesey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320 SE cab

Garage List
Quote:
Blimey, never come across that before. If that's the case well that's brilliant and I am just a conspiracy theorist after all!!
to be fair..theyv topped mine up too before now!!

....so hows she running Bumps?

"sex on legs!...well.. wheels!!..."
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesey View Post
to be fair..theyv topped mine up too before now!!

....so hows she running Bumps?
Hardly dare say it (and touching wood while I do so), but she seems to be running well. Up to around 4K miles now and getting sweeter and stronger all the time. However, I never had a 'misifre' per se before the software update though, just a slight hesitation when pulling away at low speed in second (ie when the engine load is high but revs relatively low). That is still present to some degree, but I'm not convinced that it's not just because I'm not giving her enough revs as I let out the clutch - poor drills!

It would be really interesting to see whether there are any 2.0i auto owners out there - that would help bowl out where the issue lies.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
yatesey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320 SE cab

Garage List
Quote:
Hardly dare say it (and touching wood while I do so), but she seems to be running well. Up to around 4K miles now and getting sweeter and stronger all the time. However, I never had a 'misifre' per se before the software update though, just a slight hesitation when pulling away at low speed in second (ie when the engine load is high but revs relatively low). That is still present to some degree, but I'm not convinced that it's not just because I'm not giving her enough revs as I let out the clutch - poor drills!

It would be really interesting to see whether there are any 2.0i auto owners out there - that would help bowl out where the issue lies.
good for you!.....must admit....the misfires have been less noticeable the higher the millage (im at 3500 now)..but a stutter is def there at 1500 as im around town....30ish with hardly anything on the pedal and im still not happy with the pull away in 2nd ( too much of a lag for me)...well i think its 2nd cos looks like i forgot to mention...ive got an auto!!!..lol...so sometimes its hard spotting the cough from it changing down at low revs!!..the change ups are smooth as a baby's.....etc..in fact same changing down when the revs are high!....ud never notice a thing on the auto sport setting and using the tiptronic manual changes..i kinda like it in that mode tell the truth..and like u said ..better at high revs allround me thinks.

i still think it needs plugs changing and maybe injector or two as well as the software...

Y

"sex on legs!...well.. wheels!!..."
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
just a slight hesitation when pulling away at low speed in second (ie when the engine load is high but revs relatively low). That is still present to some degree, but I'm not convinced that it's not just because I'm not giving her enough revs as I let out the clutch - poor drills!
Hmmm... interesting... I find that to get it in first gear you need to be pretty much not moving at all (synchro's I guess), so always tend to nearly come to a complete stop and move away in first, rather than high rev and slip the clutch in 2nd.
      01-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Bloody hell Bells0 I'm really sorry to hear that. It's interesting though. I opened the bonnet this weekend on mine for the first time since I got it back, to top up the washer bottle and noticed something odd. I thought I would sound like a conspiracy theorist mentioning it out of the blue, but here goes.....

Now, I check the oil regularly and always have done but with the new petrols you obviously don't need to lift the bonnet to do so, as it's an electronic gauge. Before the car went tits up I had topped the oil up and it had come to one increment below the max level on the gauge using the partly used bottle that I had, which was exactly how it had been left when it was towed away. I'm a bit of a wierdo when it comes to some things (ahem) and I always put the oil filler cap on so that the writing is facing the front of the car (yes, anal I know). Anyway, this weekend, I noticed that the oil filler cap was on a different way (90 degrees clockwise in case you're interested), which in turn made me realise that the oil is now at a higher (max) level than when I gave the car to the dealer. I hadn't realised this before and I haven't topped it up since it was returned to me. I therefore suspect that it has had a little more than just software replaced.

Anyway, sorry again to hear about this, good luck Bells0 and let us know how you go.

Bumps, what do you mean you dont think you will want to hear the answer?!

what answer do you think you will get?

Carlos
      01-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #13
bells0
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23D

Car back. They didn't seem to know why the warning light came back, and haven't offered any explanation as to what they've done to sort it - but, 2 trips in and it hasn't come back on, yet...........................

[ps i love this car, had a red 320d E90 M Sport and a 520d SE as a loaner this week, makes me appreciate my pimp mobile. Just wish i could afford a 335!!!]
      01-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #14
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Hmmm... interesting... I find that to get it in first gear you need to be pretty much not moving at all (synchro's I guess), so always tend to nearly come to a complete stop and move away in first, rather than high rev and slip the clutch in 2nd.
Gordon, what I wrote was ambiguous. Agree with all you say; I never set off from a standstill in second, but change up from first fairly early once the car is moving, meaning that second and low revs at a low speed gives the engine a lot of inertia to overcome I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Bumps, what do you mean you dont think you will want to hear the answer?!

what answer do you think you will get?

Carlos

Carl it's all been overtaken by events (OBE) now I think but my initial suspicion was that the (brand new) engine had required a lot of mechanical work that BMW were maybe keeping quiet (see my comments about being a conspiracy theorist), which may have been an indicator of things to come. What I meant was that if that was the case I might have preferred to live in ignorance!!
Appreciate 0