E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > '07 e90 Passenger Door Water Leak

11-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
MikeE90NC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

'07 e90 Passenger Door Water Leak

Hi all, my car has all kinds of water leaks going on. The one I am not sure about how to fix is the front passenger door, water is leaking in exactly where the "interior fender panel" and the "base panel" overlap. Where is the water coming from and how do I fix this?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

Have you checked to make sure your sunroof drains aren't clogged? I've heard that can lead to flooding in the passenger compartment.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
alexb
Naturally Aspirated
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330xi

Hi, Mike.

I'm pretty sure I know the problem you're having. The water is leaking... somehow... through your passenger door and ending up on the footwell floor?

I was able to diagnose this problem by placing blue paper towels (shop towels) in my door sill and flooding the car with my hose-pipe. I put a camera in the car and video-taped it while I hosed it down. When I concentrated the water spray at the intersection of door and window, I saw the water soak the towel inside the car.

The problem is with the vapor-barrier inside the door. It is sandwiched between the interior trim card and the metal, exterior structure. The thing is designed to catch water coming in and allow it to drain out of the doors, but it can become un-sealed. This is a known E90 problem. Google around for "E90 door vapor barrier" and you, too, will become an expert on this issue.

I used this excellent DIY video to take my door apart, re-seal my vapor barrier with new Butyl Tape, and re-assemble. Good luck! I got the tape at Home Depot and borrowed the tools from my dad. You'll need a T20 driver set and plastic trim removal tools. If you don't already have them, they're useful to have around.

We also needed a lot of elbow grease and some pliers, as removing my door panel was harder than in this video. The panel was "stuck" on with some sort of rod directly behind the curved trim piece you use to pull the door shut. We had to fuss with it (after having already gotten out all the fasteners) and pull until it came off. One suggestion: head to the dealership and acquire some extra fasteners for the door panels. There are little white plugs and grey "christmas-tree" shaped plugs. You will likely break some of them and it's nice to have them on hand. If you don't use them all, return them later.

Incidentally, it's good to know how to take apart the door panels incase you ever have a door lock actuator or window regulator fail.

Best,

Alex

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
smitteyb
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

Thanks for posting this- a lot of help!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
MikeE90NC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Alexb, that is awesome information. Ill be sure to give that a shot!
Appreciate 0