THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Drivetrain malfunction - dead on the freeway

11-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 228i M Sport

Drivetrain malfunction - dead on the freeway

Well, my 228i died on Friday night on my way home from work. Cruising along on the freeway and the car died and wouldn't start back up. Drivetrain malfunction - Drive moderately (or not at all, in this case). I coasted to a stop along the side of the road and got started with the tow process (on a restricted access parkway, so that was fun). I had my code reader with me, so while I was waiting, I pulled the code. P142E - Pressure too low in high-pressure system. The car would crank and crank but not start.

BMW got around to diagnosing my car today, and I need a new fuel pump control unit. I haven't been able to speak with anyone technical yet, just the service advisor.

There was no indication beforehand or at any point in the past there was a problem imminent, so who knows what caused it. Seems entirely electronic in nature to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Not HPFP problems again! They were endemic to the N54 engine, especially the first few years. I still see the problem popping up on the newer N20/N55 cars though. Sheesh.

Glad to hear you weren't hurt. Those drivetrain malfunctions are scary while driving at speed. I had an 2009 E92 that had one, but the car stayed running (albeit in "limp home" mode).
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It was definitely pretty disconcerting coasting across a rush hour freeway. And then sitting beside it while idiot NY drivers got within inches of my car.

At this point it appears to be entirely electronic and not necessarily a problem with the fuel pump itself. Still doesn't make it awesome that a car with 6000 miles had a problem like this.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uridian View Post
It was definitely pretty disconcerting coasting across a rush hour freeway. And then sitting beside it while idiot NY drivers got within inches of my car.

At this point it appears to be entirely electronic and not necessarily a problem with the fuel pump itself. Still doesn't make it awesome that a car with 6000 miles had a problem like this.
Sucks to hear about your issues. How are you liking your 228i compared to your E36 M3? Always been curious about this comparison as I have an E36 M3 as well
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Not fun for sure! Electrical issues are the tough ones to fight.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Sucks to hear about your issues. How are you liking your 228i compared to your E36 M3? Always been curious about this comparison as I have an E36 M3 as well
I really quite like it.

Without giving a full review (and highjacking my own thread too much), when I was shopping for the 228i, I was trying to get as close a driving experience to the E36 M as possible. That said, it's just as quick or quicker in a straight line, and handles acceptably (M Sport, not base model). It is softer and a lot more comfortable than the M, and not nearly as visceral. Even though they're extremely similar dimensions, the shape of the the 228i makes it feel noticeably larger than the M3.

One thing my 228i gives me (until now, I guess) is the fun driving experience in a daily driver that is reliable. My M3 is a mess. It spends more time in my garage than anything. And when I fix something, something else inevitably breaks. So, I will have fun with it and enjoy the shit out of it when I can. But if I want to have *close* to as much fun every day, the 228i fits that bill for me.

It also helped me not be tempted to spend more on the M235i, specially for my daily driver. The similar dimensions, hp/tq, and weight meant I knew I would be satisfied with the 228i's power and handling without feeling like I needed more since I am so happy with what the E36 M3 gives me.

/threadjack

AND... just got voicemail and my car is ready! Yay!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just got the car back, and I didn't have time to fully digest the invoice, but it looks like they replaced the low pressure fuel pump and the fuel pump control unit. They also drained the gas and replaced it with new gas. They must have gotten a lot of it inside the car because it REEKS of fuel in there now. Not happy about that. They also lost a center cap for one of my wheels.

But, at least the car is back and driving. Now I can put my winter boots on this weekend. And let me tell you, hopping out of the loaner 328i and into my 228i really highlights just how awesome this car is.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Interesting that they replaced the LPFP when the code you pulled said the "pressure was too low in the high pressure system."

Regardless, glad everything is resolved now!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I imagine it comes out of the tank at low pressure and gets bumped up at the engine for the direct injection. If the tank pump failed, then it makes sense that there is no (or low) fuel at the hpfp to pressurize, causing too low pressure there. Since my code reader isn't BMW specific, it probably only provides basic information and rudimentary interpretation of BMW specific codes. For all I know, the actual BMW code may have corresponded to the low pressure pump but all my reader gets is something akin to "help! no fuel at the engine!"
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

Mine does that all the time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
Rolo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 228I

Same "Drivetrain Malfunction" on my 2015 2281 MSport. Man, what a let down. BMW Roadside assistance could care less what towing truck shows up, I had to tell the first driver, send me a flatbed tow truck. My appointment was not even recorded for a tow, I had to follow up.
Now, the drivetrain malfunction at only 7K miles, along with the issue, the car starts shaking at idle and there is no longer acceleration power when I step on the gas.
I am surprised to find out that this is common for all the series, even the 7 series in some of the posts. The car is in for the repairs. The loaner dispatcher stated, well, your car is a moving computer, that's why.
Unless BMW comes out and provides a clarification, the sour taste in my mouth remains.
Should I have gotten a BNZ instead?

Last edited by Rolo; 09-27-2015 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 1