E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 1st boost logs w/ V2 and Forge DV's installed....94% and 96%

01-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

1st boost logs w/ V2 and Forge DV's installed....94% and 96%

And it looks like I either still have a boost leak somewhere or my car simply is reacting differently to the V2.

The logs are MUCH smoother than before the DV holding steady boost around 12 - 12.5psi in 4th gear but I'm still dropping a bit in 3rd.

This certainly does prove that my stock DV's were not up to the job so I'm really happy I got the Forge units. Now I need to figure out what else is going on. The only thing that I can think of is that my Helix Intercooler is causing lower psi either through a leak in the core or my connections are leaking.

I purchased a T-bolt clamp this morning from a local turbo shop but it didnt fit, so I retightened w/ new worm clamps and went out testing.

Here is the result......oh yeah, and this is the fastest my car has felt....feels great, can't wait for 15psi.

94% on 93 octane

Bumped up to 96% to see if it would raise boost, didn't seem to make much difference but I didnt give it any time to adapt. I'll be back at 94% until I figure this out.

01-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Just thinking about it, would my boost logs be that steady if I had a leak? I would think not right?
      01-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

If it was a leak (enough to cause low boost) it would be rough. I forget now but did you try with stock map and bypass plugs? Did you have a gauge? It's weird for it to change if that was not the problem, unless the problem was related to the DV. (like the guy with the cracked vacuum line T)
      01-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
And it looks like I either still have a boost leak somewhere or my car simply is reacting differently to the V2.

The logs are MUCH smoother than before the DV holding steady boost around 12 - 12.5psi in 4th gear but I'm still dropping a bit in 3rd.

This certainly does prove that my stock DV's were not up to the job so I'm really happy I got the Forge units. Now I need to figure out what else is going on. The only thing that I can think of is that my Helix Intercooler is causing lower psi either through a leak in the core or my connections are leaking.

I purchased a T-bolt clamp this morning from a local turbo shop but it didnt fit, so I retightened w/ new worm clamps and went out testing.

Here is the result......oh yeah, and this is the fastest my car has felt....feels great, can't wait for 15psi.

94% on 93 octane

Bumped up to 96% to see if it would raise boost, didn't seem to make much difference but I didnt give it any time to adapt. I'll be back at 94% until I figure this out.

You stock valves looks fine. Eugen graph look typical of leak and you will see more than 1-2 second duration before recovery but it depends on the system.

To find your leaks get a product call “Snoop” which is made by a several vendors. It is a soap type water based liquid but it work extremely well to find even the smallest leaks. It works 95% of the time with out taking anything apart as long as you can see the part.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Definitely pressure test your induction system. Without confirmation that you don't have any leaks in the system (loose hose clamp, loose "T", leak in the aftermarket IC core, etc,.) it's hard to know the next step. Trying to compensate for a pressure leak somewhere by raising user TQ higher and higher is a big no-no.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Definitely pressure test your induction system. Without confirmation that you don't have any leaks in the system (loose hose clamp, loose "T", leak in the aftermarket IC core, etc,.) it's hard to know the next step. Trying to compensate for a pressure leak somewhere by raising user TQ higher and higher is a big no-no.

Shiv
Thats what I figured.....what I am still a bit confused on is should I hook up a test kit to the 2 outpipes from the airbox or should I remove the intercooler and pressure test the 2 sides of the system seperately?
      01-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post

Shiv
If you recall my graphs, would this be the reason for why I am not seeing over 14.6 PSI since 92% torque? At 92% the peak was 14.6PSI, same with 93%, and same with 94%. I doubt this means I have a leak, but just checking to make sure. What are your thoughts? Peak PSI has not not changed since 92%. Is this because my car can handle more, or is a boost leak the culprit?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Don't forget that you will see less boost with the cold weather (real cold weather like a NE winter). I would think the people in the Northern parts of the US will see significantly less boost than the folks in FL or CA even with a tune. Your boost seems pretty solid - just a bit low.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Don't forget that you will see less boost with the cold weather (real cold weather like a NE winter). I would think the people in the Northern parts of the US will see significantly less boost than the folks in FL or CA even with a tune. Your boost seems pretty solid - just a bit low.

It was in the low 70's here today, which is crazy warm for January, it was 9 degrees less than a week ago.
      01-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
It was in the low 70's here today, which is crazy warm for January, it was 9 degrees less than a week ago.
70s...man, I won't see that for 5-6 months OK, discount my theory
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
RetroGamerJP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

I thought I was the only one... my car seems to be doing something very similar... I had the cracked vacuum line which was causing my limp mode issues but now with that fixed I have still not seen 14-15psi. I have the spearco intercooler and was wondering if that would account for the drop as well. It seems that I can only hold about 12.5 psi average regardless of TQ settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
70s...man, I won't see that for 5-6 months OK, discount my theory
Yea, Iam in the same boat, but it is high 70s to low 80s here in SFL .
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
If it was a leak (enough to cause low boost) it would be rough. I forget now but did you try with stock map and bypass plugs? Did you have a gauge? It's weird for it to change if that was not the problem, unless the problem was related to the DV. (like the guy with the cracked vacuum line T)
?
      01-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am beginning to wonder if torque settings actually regulates the boost to higher or lower psi dependent on the %!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp335i View Post
I thought I was the only one... my car seems to be doing something very similar... I had the cracked vacuum line which was causing my limp mode issues but now with that fixed I have still not seen 14-15psi. I have the spearco intercooler and was wondering if that would account for the drop as well. It seems that I can only hold about 12.5 psi average regardless of TQ settings.
hmmm, and you pressure tested your system and it held right? I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. Intercooler related issue? I can't see how though.

Did you pressure test your intercooler?
      01-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #16
RetroGamerJP
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
hmmm, and you pressure tested your system and it held right? I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this. Intercooler related issue? I can't see how though.

Did you pressure test your intercooler?
I did, i lowered the intercooler so I could fit the adapter on the inlet side and tested everything from the intercooler forward... system held 25psi without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp335i View Post
I did, i lowered the intercooler so I could fit the adapter on the inlet side and tested everything from the intercooler forward... system held 25psi without any issues.
I guess you were unable to test the other side of the system then right? Before the intercooler I mean.

I'm trying to figure a way to test the whole system at once so nothing is missed.
      01-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
RetroGamerJP
First Lieutenant
Rep

before the intercooler is pretty much right from the turbo... I dont really see how you can test any further upstream than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #19
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

well the only thing to test there is your intercooler silicone couplings, just need to make sure they are good and tight I guess.
      01-08-2008, 01:12 AM   #20
ThomasMartin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

So SHIV is quick to blame me being at high alitude but i see many other people having the same problem. My boost is the same at 92%-98%. I think altitude has something to do with it but maybe there is another problem we all seeing The only difference i see when upping torque values is peek boost comes in earlier in the RPM range.

Altitude cant be restricting my turbos to only boosting 13 PSI even at this high altitude???
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:15 AM   #21
RetroGamerJP
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMartin View Post
So SHIV is quick to blame me being at high alitude but i see many other people having the same problem. My boost is the same at 92%-98%. I think altitude has something to do with it but maybe there is another problem we all seeing The only difference i see when upping torque values is peek boost comes in earlier in the RPM range.

Altitude cant be restricting my turbos to only boosting 13 PSI even at this high altitude???
i upped it to 98% and noticed the same thing as well... I cant seem to achieve a sustained 14-15psi

Shiv, any suggestions on further trouble shooting or optimal place to pressurize the system to ensure there are no leaks?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #22
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMartin View Post

Shiv is quick to blame a lot of things on anything but the procede. That's the first thing he does is blame the user, and in multiple cases I've seen it turn out that it was in fact the procede at fault for the ailment.

Not saying that's the case in your instance, but I'll use any opportunity to bring it up because frankly it disgusts me.