E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice on 06 330d M Sport

01-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Advice on 06 330d M Sport

Hi,

Finally thinking about chopping in my old E46 330d for a E91 330d M Sport. Any advice or tips on what I should look out for? I'm after probably a 55 or 06 plate, and I appreciate that not much should have gone wrong yet, but if they're are any things like version of I Drive to check etc., or any common recall/warranty work that should have been done then I'd appreciate any steers.

Many Thanks

J
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
I don't know of any systemic problems. The only thing I've had done, other than accident repair is to have a rattle from the boot area addressed, for which they "Fitted anti-rattle tape to rear seat catches and trims, Replaced rear roll cover and Replaced rear boot handle."

Now it's silent unless you hit a pretty big bump.

Some onboard E91 330d footage:

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
bobf
E90 convert
England
Rep
Drives: 330d Sport Saloon

I have an 06 e90 330dm.

If you look at an auto, one thing you should definately look out for on a test drive is the 'lurching' just before the car comes to rest.

Evidently it's an issue of the Progman (the car's firmware, if you like) and what it's telling the torque converter to do. I think it's engaging first just before the car has actually stopped?

I have had mine sorted now but it took a while convincing the dealers it was an issue - the weight of evidence on here helped! Upshot was they updated the Progman and the issue has been solved.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Hi,

Finally thinking about chopping in my old E46 330d for a E91 330d M Sport. Any advice or tips on what I should look out for? I'm after probably a 55 or 06 plate, and I appreciate that not much should have gone wrong yet, but if they're are any things like version of I Drive to check etc., or any common recall/warranty work that should have been done then I'd appreciate any steers.

Many Thanks

J
I'd try and negotiate a progman update as a sweetener on any used car deal. Cheap for the dealer and beneficial to you, especially if you go for Nav.

You should also bear in mind that any car you buy will have been discounted a fair bit when new, but that dealers try not to reflect this in the nearly new prices.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Thanks for the replies - I'm probably going to buy privately if possible.

Do you normally have to pay for Progman updates? If it rectifies an auto gearbox "glitch" then wouldn't this come under the warranty as a free update?

What version(s) should I look for and does this come up on a screen in I-Drive you can check?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 03:20 AM   #6
bobf
E90 convert
England
Rep
Drives: 330d Sport Saloon

Quote:

Do you normally have to pay for Progman updates? If it rectifies an auto gearbox "glitch" then wouldn't this come under the warranty as a free update?

What version(s) should I look for and does this come up on a screen in I-Drive you can check?
Mine was updated under warranty FOC specifically to remedy the lurchy stopping issue.

I'm not sure you can look up the Progman number as such on the idrive, but the appearance of the 'home' page differs before and after the upgrade.

Prior to being updated mine had a kind of background effect visible behind each of the four quadrants you can select - if I remember rightly there was a subtle kind of road image behind 'navigation', a beehive effect behind communications and such like. After update the initial screen is a pale greeny-grey colour without the background images visible.

Here's the before pic;

After is more like this (mine is more silvery, but the appearance is right here)

(Edited to add pics)

Last edited by bobf; 01-08-2008 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

You can't identify the version - only the dealer can tell you that. Getting them to update the software for free would be a bit of a battle post sale, so I would just ask for it as part of the deal.
Appreciate 0