M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-14-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
Tweaky
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How much of a deal?

Ok guys i currently have an E92 M3 and need to change car. The M5 is one that i am looking at. Few questions really.

1. Is the comp pack worth the money, or would i be better off getting the normal one and putting an exhaust on myself? The power increase is so slight i can't see it making that much difference (I would probably pay a visit to DMS at some point any way). I know i need to go and try one, but its not easy at the moment.

The most important question is how much of a deal are people getting on these at the moment. It's 0% finance, i have been offered 10k off list, but really would like to have 15k off. I saw in an earlier thread someone saying you should be looking for between 15 and 17k discount, but when mentioned to the sales guy he said that would have been before the 0% came in. Am i having the wool pulled over my eyes here? Are there better deals out there?

Any help much appreciated! Then i just need to choose between black with black, or blue with black..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #2
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

1. CP is more than just the exhaust & +15hp. Many threads on this and all subjective!

2. Up to 17K was pre-0%. 10K discount +0% not too bad on factory order now. 15K discount may be achievable if you shop around, however, only likely if you can find a spec changeable build slot and can be registered prior to year end.

It is possible to beat 15K & get +0% on last trading day of Dec if you are in a position to buy a stock car & register on the day.

Another option worth considering is M6GC @ -20K +0%...

Last edited by Dionysus; 11-14-2014 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
Tweaky
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks for that information it is very useful, i will shop around. The current offer was on a car already in stock so was fixed spec.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Try David Aviles here is his info:
bmwdavid@icloud.com
202-262-2900
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaky View Post
Ok guys i currently have an E92 M3 and need to change car. The M5 is one that i am looking at. Few questions really.

1. Is the comp pack worth the money, or would i be better off getting the normal one and putting an exhaust on myself? The power increase is so slight i can't see it making that much difference (I would probably pay a visit to DMS at some point any way). I know i need to go and try one, but its not easy at the moment.

The most important question is how much of a deal are people getting on these at the moment. It's 0% finance, i have been offered 10k off list, but really would like to have 15k off. I saw in an earlier thread someone saying you should be looking for between 15 and 17k discount, but when mentioned to the sales guy he said that would have been before the 0% came in. Am i having the wool pulled over my eyes here? Are there better deals out there?

Any help much appreciated! Then i just need to choose between black with black, or blue with black..
I can't tell you about the comp pack. I was tempted by it myself but in the end I decided against it. I'm still in two minds though so could easily be persuaded

The deal I got a couple of weeks ago was just over 12.5k off. That was for a factory build car to my spec.

For the stock car you've been offered I'd say there was more discount on offer than they're letting on, although I dare say that's true no matter how good a deal you get
      11-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
For the stock car you've been offered I'd say there was more discount on offer than they're letting on, although I dare say that's true no matter how good a deal you get
Agreed; I'd be aiming for factory build to spec at 10K discount.

OP do, however, take into account that the front end margin is only ~8%, so even 10K on stock car is not to be laughed at. If you're a repeat customer who changes often, you're more likely to get a better deal.

Only other point to consider if shopping around for maximum discount is that it may not necessarily go hand in hand with the exceptional customer service.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I can't tell you about the comp pack. I was tempted by it myself but in the end I decided against it. I'm still in two minds though so could easily be persuaded
In your shoes, coming from the xdrive, CP or not would be the least of my worries if picking up M5 in winter & leaving on the PSS tyre! (j/k)

By the way, nice colour on the 335d
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
In your shoes, coming from the xdrive, CP or not would be the least of my worries if picking up M5 in winter & leaving on the PSS tyre! (j/k)

By the way, nice colour on the 335d
Looks like I'm going without CP as my build has now been locked in. The last minute phone call was too late.

Fortunately, I'll have the wife and kids with me at collection so I will be on my very best behaviour. The transition to a powerful non xdrive car is going to be fun, just not with the family in the car with me

Gotta love Moonstone
      11-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
jamiesecker
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

I managed to get 12% discount with 0% over 4 years and a £2000 dealer contribution.
May be worth speaking to Eastern BMW in Edinburgh for a quote.
Long way I am sure but I drove up from Southampton to collect and loved the drive home.
      11-20-2014, 02:37 AM   #10
RichDM5
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Bought earlier this year. Dealer opened with a 10K discount and after a light discussion ended up at 13,200 off ~14%.
The 0% wasn't on offer so I also negotiated the APR down slightly (they put their own commission on top of the APR).

I was lucky in that there was an in stock unregistered vehicle with my spec at another dealership. After a bit of horse trading the dealership had it within 1 week and I drove it away a week later.

Only negative is I had to say No 4 times to the GAP insurance over 20 minutes. Talk about a hard sell. I am sure this will be the next PPI style scandal.
2010 Audi S5
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #11
Pugland53
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

If you are feeling adventurous there is a new bright yellow M5 for sale in BMW Cardiff, looks fab!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #12
F16RCE
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Soon to be M4

Over the last few days I have been able to get as far as 15% off and 0% APR but they want to register a car before the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #13
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Looks like I'm going without CP as my build has now been locked in. The last minute phone call was too late.

Fortunately, I'll have the wife and kids with me at collection so I will be on my very best behaviour. The transition to a powerful non xdrive car is going to be fun, just not with the family in the car with me

Gotta love Moonstone
Hi there
Can I ask why you're changing from your beautiful 335d so soon? Are you getting stung on your P/X?
I'm thinking of changing to a 5 series or M5 but I'm terrified to ask for a trade in price seeing as my car is only 12 moths old!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #14
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI
Quote:

Gotta love Moonstone
Hi there
Can I ask why you're changing from your beautiful 335d so soon? Are you getting stung on your P/X?
I'm thinking of changing to a 5 series or M5 but I'm terrified to ask for a trade in price seeing as my car is only 12 moths old!
The main reason is back seat space. We've got a 1 year old and 2.5 year old in car seats and a 4 year old too. At the moment the back of the 335d leaves about 8 inches between the car seats which just isn't enough. Having a 4 year old in tears and not wanting to get in really wasn't any fun.

My wife also wants a smaller car, after 3 years of having a S-Max she's got her eye on a 120d so my having the bigger car works out well for family outings.

I reckon I got stung on the p/x but after phoning round a few dealers they all seemed to be at the same level and if anything I got towards the top end of prices quoted. It was just enough to give a bit of equity so it could have been worse.

The deal I got on the M5 made up for the loss of the 335d. My car would be 12 months old in about 3 weeks so I know what you're going through.
      12-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The main reason is back seat space. We've got a 1 year old and 2.5 year old in car seats and a 4 year old too. At the moment the back of the 335d leaves about 8 inches between the car seats which just isn't enough. Having a 4 year old in tears and not wanting to get in really wasn't any fun.

My wife also wants a smaller car, after 3 years of having a S-Max she's got her eye on a 120d so my having the bigger car works out well for family outings.

I reckon I got stung on the p/x but after phoning round a few dealers they all seemed to be at the same level and if anything I got towards the top end of prices quoted. It was just enough to give a bit of equity so it could have been worse.

The deal I got on the M5 made up for the loss of the 335d. My car would be 12 months old in about 3 weeks so I know what you're going through.
Thank you sir Can't wait to see your new motor in a few weeks...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Thank you sir Can't wait to see your new motor in a few weeks...
Happy to help

Originally I had gone in looking for a 535d then when the numbers were done the M5 only needed a small amount more to make the monthlies the same so that was that.

What are your reasons to change?

I collect my M5 on Saturday, it arrived at the dealership this afternoon. All told about 6 weeks from ordering to delivery
      12-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
jamiesecker
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP

I traded in my F11 530 M Sport that was 7 months old with 7k on the clock and was pleasantly surprised.
So so pleased I went for the M5 as puts a smile on my face every day....
      12-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #18
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Happy to help

Originally I had gone in looking for a 535d then when the numbers were done the M5 only needed a small amount more to make the monthlies the same so that was that.

I collect my M5 on Saturday, it arrived at the dealership this afternoon. All told about 6 weeks from ordering to delivery
Well I don't 'need' the extra space of a 5 series but I've always liked bigger cars. Before my current car I was looking at the C63, SQ5, E Class and a few others.
I guess my biggest disappointment in the 335d is the lack of refinement in a car touching £50k. It's also more than powerful enough for our roads and I do really like the traction of x-drive. If I was to change to a non x-drive car then I would need to get used to it again that's for sure.
It could also get a bit tedious stopping at the petrol station twice as much as I do now.
I've always had a love for AMG so I would certainly need to do a comparison against the E63 if I went down that route. I don't think I like the new C class so it would need to be an E. The other 'fake' AMG's just sound wrong to me so they're a no go too.
The other consideration is my driveway. My 335 manages to clear the ground by around 10mm so I'm sure an M5 wouldn't make it. If my wife's new 1 series clears it (hopefully collecting this in a week or so) then I can steal her space on the road and consider my options...
I would be keen to take out an X5 but I don't think deals come up very often for them? Might have a chat / test drive when we pick up the 1 series...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #19
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Interesting post; my honest view after 15 months of m5 ownership: -

Quote:
I guess my biggest disappointment in the 335d is the lack of refinement in a car touching £50k.
M5 may not be the right option if your greatest concern with F30/1 is lack of refinement. The M5 rear subframe is bolted direct to the body without bushes, unlike non-M F10s. Changes such as these result in a significant increase in road noise in comparison to non-M F10. There is, however, inherently greater comfort from the larger wheelbase, platform shared with RR Ghost, etc. It depends on your definition of refinement.

I drove a few F30 M Sports (320i, 320i xdrive, 320 ED, 320d, 330d xdrive) when I was looking to get out of my old E70, and agree the lack of refinement is shocking (our VW Golf is more refined). In fact, I would go as far as saying that a non-thrashed pre-LCI F10 520d had greater engine refinement than a F30 330d due to the F10's superior sound insulation. As to overall road noise/quality of interior, there's no contest. And since then the newer, more refined 2.0d has been added to the F10 LCI alongside other improvements to refinement in the F10 LCI.

The reason I mention the 520d above is that I asked my Sales Manager which F10 he would recommend for general UK road driving; the answer was 520d or 530d. This was from someone who was on their 3rd consecutive F10 M5 demo at the time. He said the M5 was still the halo car, if that's what you wanted, i.e. no regrets that you didn't buy the top of the F10 range.

Quote:
It's also more than powerful enough for our roads and I do really like the traction of x-drive.
A 335d xdrive will definitely be able to deploy more of its performance for more of the time; you can but use a mere fraction of the M5 full potential on UK roads:

On dry summer roads when the PSS tyres are sticky, the acceleration is so brutal that you can only do 1-2 sec acceleration burst if you want to avoid drawing 'unwanted attention' to yourself. This is not always a bad thing, if you want a car that is effortless and has a lot in reserve. On the twisty stuff, this car (mine has CP) excels - it's barely trying yet leaving most other cars in it's dust. I still find it remarkable what a car of this size and weight can achieve. The size can be an issue on very narrow roads. A non-M F10 would fall off the road trying to keep up (I had a adaptive drive equipped 535d for 6 months before the M5). At legal speeds a well-driven & more nimble/compact F30 would keep up though, handling-wise if not performance-wise, just to put this into context.

On wet or cold roads, when the PSS tyre temp drops, you have to rein in performance to the extent that driving a M5 becomes somewhat pointless. Winter tyres can resolve this to some extent, but you still can't deploy much of the performance on offer. It's during these conditions that I find the M5 somewhat frustrating. The RWD 535d cold actually put down more of it's power in these conditions. I've actually considered running a 2nd, more useable car for winter use as an alternative, however, as I can go without driving for several weeks, so this would be too wasteful IMO.

Quote:
I would be keen to take out an X5 but I don't think deals come up very often for them?
I would definitely consider an F15 over the M5 as an all rounder, especially if your current car is xdrive; it wasn't launched when I ordered the M5 + I didn't want to be an earlier adopter. There is a UK member on this forum who went M6GC to F15 M50d & I don't recall any posts of regret. There are limited deals on F15s for a reason; demand is high & residuals are good. You may have to pay upfront with a lack of discount, but longer term you win overall. My old E70 depreciated by £20K from new in just under 4 years/30K miles. I'll predict that my M5 has already lost significantly more than that in 15 months/9K miles...

Please note that I'm not saying that the M5 isn't a great car for use in the UK, only that you have to accept some compromises. Undoubtedly a subjective statement, however, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another M5 over a 535d, although, over an F15 40d or M50d... not so sure...

Last edited by Dionysus; 12-04-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #20
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Happy to help

WOW.. nip in to the dealer for a 535d and come out with an M5!! great work on the salesman's side. fuel stations will become your best friends and once you're inside the M5, you would probably drive it 90% of the time, just like a 535d. but for that 10% time when you want to open the taps and see what this baby can do, you will be grinning ear to ear. watch out for traction, especially now we're in winter and on brand new tyres!

great choice of colour on the M5 by the way

i've just part ex's my M5 in and only got £ 55k for it! it was absolutely mint with less that 5k on the clock and all options added. plus a few more. they would surely sell it for £ 64k+

I got £20k off list but I did have 4.9% apr charge...

enjoy your new ride mate.

im so glad I now have 4WD in this cold and wet country we live in.
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Interesting post; my honest view after 15 months of m5 ownership: -

M5 may not be the right option if your greatest concern with F30/1 is lack of refinement. The M5 rear subframe is bolted direct to the body without bushes, unlike non-M F10s. Changes such as these result in a significant increase in road noise in comparison to non-M F10. There is, however, inherently greater comfort from the larger wheelbase, platform shared with RR Ghost, etc. It depends on your definition of refinement.

I drove a few F30 M Sports (320i, 320i xdrive, 320 ED, 320d, 330d xdrive) when I was looking to get out of my old E70, and agree the lack of refinement is shocking (our VW Golf is more refined). In fact, I would go as far as saying that a non-thrashed pre-LCI F10 520d had greater engine refinement than a F30 330d due to the F10's superior sound insulation. As to overall road noise/quality of interior, there's no contest. And since then the newer, more refined 2.0d has been added to the F10 LCI alongside other improvements to refinement in the F10 LCI.

The reason I mention the 520d above is that I asked my Sales Manager which F10 he would recommend for general UK road driving; the answer was 520d or 530d. This was from someone who was on their 3rd consecutive F10 M5 demo at the time. He said the M5 was still the halo car, if that's what you wanted, i.e. no regrets that you didn't buy the top of the F10 range.

A 335d xdrive will definitely be able to deploy more of its performance for more of the time; you can but use a mere fraction of the M5 full potential on UK roads:

On dry summer roads when the PSS tyres are sticky, the acceleration is so brutal that you can only do 1-2 sec acceleration burst if you want to avoid drawing 'unwanted attention' to yourself. This is not always a bad thing, if you want a car that is effortless and has a lot in reserve. On the twisty stuff, this car (mine has CP) excels - it's barely trying yet leaving most other cars in it's dust. I still find it remarkable what a car of this size and weight can achieve. The size can be an issue on very narrow roads. A non-M F10 would fall off the road trying to keep up (I had a adaptive drive equipped 535d for 6 months before the M5). At legal speeds a well-driven & more nimble/compact F30 would keep up though, handling-wise if not performance-wise, just to put this into context.

On wet or cold roads, when the PSS tyre temp drops, you have to rein in performance to the extent that driving a M5 becomes somewhat pointless. Winter tyres can resolve this to some extent, but you still can't deploy much of the performance on offer. It's during these conditions that I find the M5 somewhat frustrating. The RWD 535d cold actually put down more of it's power in these conditions. I've actually considered running a 2nd, more useable car for winter use as an alternative, however, as I can go without driving for several weeks, so this would be too wasteful IMO.

I would definitely consider an F15 over the M5 as an all rounder, especially if your current car is xdrive; it wasn't launched when I ordered the M5 + I didn't want to be an earlier adopter. There is a UK member on this forum who went M6GC to F15 M50d & I don't recall any posts of regret. There are limited deals on F15s for a reason; demand is high & residuals are good. You may have to pay upfront with a lack of discount, but longer term you win overall. My old E70 depreciated by £20K from new in just under 4 years/30K miles. I'll predict that my M5 has already lost significantly more than that in 15 months/9K miles...

Please note that I'm not saying that the M5 isn't a great car for use in the UK, only that you have to accept some compromises. Undoubtedly a subjective statement, however, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another M5 over a 535d, although, over an F15 40d or M50d... not so sure...
Thank you for your thorough reply. I really appreciate it
It's interesting hearing your thoughts on refinement. I think for me it's the overall build quality along with the road, tyre and wind noise that bug me.
I hope a 5 series would sort this out to a degree.
When I've looked into the X5 before I'm sure discounts were non-existent so this will ultimately affect my decision.
I'll speak to my dealer next time I'm in and take it from there...
Thanks once again!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Dionysus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's interesting hearing your thoughts on refinement. I think for me it's the overall build quality along with the road, tyre and wind noise that bug me.
I hope a 5 series would sort this out to a degree.
Some further thoughts (may also help others considering M5): -

F10 interior material quality much better than F30. F10 is close to 7-series, whereas F30 close to 1-series look & feel. It's a change in strategy compared with the previous generation cars. I can only imagine that BMW didn't want F30 stealing sales from the F10 as it's now quite a comfortable car compared to the E90.

Wind noise not really an issue in any F10.

The secondary ride in a CP equipped M5 is slightly worse that a passive M Sport F10, but much firmer than an adaptive drive F10. Obviously the M5 CP does, in turn, have much better body control than any non-M F10; the car feels smaller when driving, even if physically it's the same as a non-M F10. It's much easier to position the M5 CP for tight gaps, etc. The pre-LCI non-M adaptive drive F10 was a bit of a boat at times.

W.r.t. rolling refinement & in terms of driving feel, the real advantage of going for any M car, IMO, is that BMW tune out any negative handling traits that tend to effect M Sports, for example, occasional tramlining, etc. Adaptive drive can also provide this, albeit with some suspension float in the comfort settings. If you like cars with consistent firm damping & tight body control, but reasonably comfortable ride, something like the M5 is worth a look over adaptive drive F10, etc. I would also test drive the E63; better steering feel, better noise from stock exhaust, worse tech (no HUD, media screen, etc.).

These are all nuances and clearly reflect what I look for in terms of handling/ride compromise. Try and press your dealer into borrowing a car from BMW for at least a 24hr test drive - I declined with the adaptive drive 535d, only to regret it later.

Also worth considering that due to all the campaigns BMW run on the M5/M6s, depreciation is rising on F10 M5s (it's much worse than it was on previous generation M5s).

To expand on M5essex's comments regarding the M5 above, for the majority of drivers, 90% of the time you may as well be driving a non-M F10 and gain the increased refinement (lower dBs at UK cruising speeds, improved ride, etc.). 10% of the time you'll open up the exhaust and remind yourself why you did choose an M5.
Appreciate 1