THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Hand wash place left swirls

11-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
jwr0721
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

Hand wash place left swirls

I looked on Yelp to find the best hand car wash place in Atlanta - but they still left swirls all over my paint.

Any way to get rid of them?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

What color is your car?
They hand washed and hand dried? Any polishing or waxing? Which panels have swirls, just hood, roof, trunk? or also fenders, doors and bumpers?
All depends how minor the swirl, but swirl removing polish with the proper pads on a buffer should take out the swirl - experience is important - though, if you do the research practice on a rental car or like, not impossible or difficult to remove swirl marks yourself.
An experience detailer can remove light swirl marks quickly, and he should allow you to be there while he does the correction so that you can inspect as he goes along.
And the correction should be done indoors under bright lights.
Finally, if you have to really strain to see the swirls, just the right angel just the right lighting, whether in daylight or under a streetlight, you may want to try a three stage detailing regimen hand applied no buffers ( product recommendation is another post ) before taking another chance with a supposed pro, and that way you learn what is doable and to some extent how your paint will take to detailing.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #3
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Dual Action polishers (porter cable, griots, rupes) are safe for amateurs and will not destroy your paint.

I would google Adams Polishes on youtube, some great advice and demonstrations there. Another line of videos - Chemical Guys, not as detailed, but you will see a pattern of them all recommending the same actions. Autogeek and Meguiars have videos as well, if I recall.

As Scott mentions, products are a totally different discussion. Each detailer, amateur or pro, has their own preference of product, steps for work, and the in-betweens. Best way to learn is practice. As long as you do not use a rotary (not a DA polisher), your paint will be fine.
      01-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
SteveSFO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 Long Beach Blue

I've had good luck with Meguiars products. They have a consumer swirl remover that does a good job. As hoppy6698 said, everyone has their own preference. On thing to keep in mind if you decide to take the swirl marks off yourself....take your time and don't get overly aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Bimmer86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

I have had the Griot's orbial with their polishes for a few years now and I think it's great and very easy to use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...IEUA36HFOTSP3Y
Appreciate 0