E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Where to start (with mods that is) on a 07 335i?

11-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Lightbulb Where to start (with mods that is) on a 07 335i?

I recently bought a 07 335i coupe. I am new to the BMW world and I wanted to get some advice from the more seasoned gentlemen/ladies.

I read though various posts, and see that JB4/JB+ are one of the most popular items. So that on my list. That said I am not looking to mod it too heavily. I know its a 335i and not an M3, and I dont want to spend bags full in trying to morph it into something that it isn't.

But I feel, BMW have been a little dishonest with the car, for eg: not having a lsd. I cant see why the limited slip diffs had to be reserved only for the M cars! Its takes a lot more than a lsd to make an M. Coming from vehicles like 350Z and RX8, I definitely feel the LSD missing. For me RWD loses some of its character it if it hasnt got one.

Then there is the heating, I dot think that too much of an issue, becasue it does not ever go past the 240-250 mark, but I can see how that may be an issue on the track. That said it wont be seeing too many track days; maybe one or two a year.

So here are the questions, and you suggestions are welcome.

What should be the first enhancement - JB4, a Limited Slip Diff, or an Oil Cooler?

What other modification you feel are an absolute must (please bear in mind I an not looking for an M3 Killer, I just want the car to be what it should have been coming out of the factory)

Thanks!
(finally posting it in the right section ...I hope)

*******************Update*********************

Thought I'll post here since the thread seems to be losing focus/more current Q's

The following has been done:-

-Walnut Blast at 70K (currently at 102K, might do another next year)
-JB4
-DCI
-New Spark Plugs/coils (10K ago)
-Battery (12K)
-Fluid Flush (10K ago)
-New Wheels/Tires (will get another set PSS & APEX, not a fan of current setup)
-M3 Upper & Lower control arms
-Rear Subframe inserts:Whiteline
-Koni FSD

Looking to do the following:-
-Brakes (need advice)
-FMIC
-DP
-CP

Need Feedback on:-

Brakes- I like the OEM, but I'd like to improve the stopping power with the increase in power, with the power mods I am looking to add in the near future.
I'm not sure if the BBK is for me, I am by no means a pro :P, will not do more than 1-2 Tack days a year, and this is my DD. I would however liek to minimize brake fade, without adding more noise. Not sure if I need pads and rotors, or just pads will do.

So far the guidance has been great, would appreciate some more.

Thanks!

Last edited by ritzzzzzwik; 09-18-2015 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Updated with mods (current)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Bme30
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Jb4, down pipes, fmic then LSD
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i XDrive E90 2010

Dual cone Intakes, and a JB4. Intakes was my first and im not made of money so i went some costmetics, then a jb4. Just depends what you want to do, such as do you have warranty, CPO, ect? that you dont want to void with DP's and FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYuriPanda View Post
Dual cone Intakes, and a JB4. Intakes was my first and im not made of money so i went some costmetics, then a jb4. Just depends what you want to do, such as do you have warranty, CPO, ect? that you dont want to void with DP's and FMIC.
The car indeed has warranty on it which I dont want to void for obvious reasons ...So I guess charge pipes/FMIC are out of the question.

What else can I get besides a JB4 without being too intrusive with the warranty?

Does that make LSD out of bounds too?

Besides It'll good to have a list, so the day the warranty ends, the car can get a few organ transplants
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

I FBO'ed my car and then kept going so to speak before i got an LSD and now i regret it. if your car is running strong on FBO there is no way you can harness all that power with the stock diff.
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

if you are in warranty they can "void" it for anything... so if you are worried about that then dont mod. but if not... everyones advice is pretty much spot on
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
I would do Cobb V2 and just uninstall for any and all warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
We generally recommend starting with an intake and a tune, then chargepipe, fmic and downpipes
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

i didnt read thread but my advice is to research the sh*t out of cars in general including how a combustion engine works, how turbos work, and different fueling systems. Next step drive your car and find out what YOU think could be better. With your prior research on general car information you can pinpoint what you can replace or change to make it better in that area. Next research the forums, google, and watch youtube videos and make your own informed decision. If you are not experienced with cars to a minimal extent, modifying your car is a pain.

I did not mod my current car until I had atleast 2 track days with it stock. Wait until you are able to push your car past OEM capabilities, then modify it.

With that said. If I still had my e90 335 and I could do it again my first 3 modifications would be/
1)tires
2)coilovers
3)LSD

in that order
      11-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #10
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik
Quote:
The car indeed has warranty on it which I dont want to void for obvious reasons ...So I guess charge pipes/FMIC are out of the question.

What else can I get besides a JB4 without being too intrusive with the warranty?

Does that make LSD out of bounds too?

Besides It'll good to have a list, so the day the warranty ends, the car can get a few organ transplants
If you don't want to uninstall downpipes, fmic, charge pipes every time you take it in then I wouldn't bother. Just get bms intakes, and jb4/Cobb depending what you like, personally prefer jb4. 5$ per hp so to speak, and easy to remove. After that maybe just go cosmetics, it's still pretty fun to work on and diy.
      11-11-2014, 01:22 AM   #11
Dan_335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

1st Mod > Tune (JB4 or Cobb) 100% the change is night and day on a stock car. Should have come like this from the factory. For warranty the JB4 can be unplugged and removed in 10mins, less after you have done it a couple of times. Cobb can be flashed out.

2nd Mod > This is the point of conjecture, based on my experience:

If you are heading straight into track days > In series aftermarket Oil Cooler (I found that with a tune and track work, it doesn't take much at all to get the 335i into limp mode. If you don't have the factory cooler, then this should be the FIRST mod!!

3rd Mod > what kind of guy are you?
Noises > Dual cone filters, dump pipes, charge pipe and exhaust (in that order)

Handling > Suspension, Tires (get rid of the run flats), suspension components

POWAAAAAA > Dump pipes, Intercooler, Cone filters, Charge pipe, Exhaust, Meth or e85 options

Everything is up for debate, except the tune... DO IT NOW, you will not regret it at all!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
Kenu8187
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Track car > oil cooler LSD springs shocks wheels/tires then power mods

DD > oil cooler tune intercooler dp intake cp(handle the extra boost) then suspension mods

Just my pref, assuming your 07 doesn't have the factory oil cooler
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone for all your inputs, you all have been very helpful. I think I have my list sorted. Tough I still cant decide between cobb or JB4 (?....all I need is a little nudge :P....I know this is all over the forums and the more I read the more confusing it gets),

I'm looking at Wavetrac for LSD; and VSRF for chargepipe, downpipe, and inter cooler.

But I cant seem to put a finger on Oil Cooler?....is VK Moterwers pretty much the only game in town?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
TheYuriPanda
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Thanks everyone for all your inputs, you all have been very helpful. I think I have my list sorted. Tough I still cant decide between cobb or JB4 (?....all I need is a little nudge :P....I know this is all over the forums and the more I read the more confusing it gets),

I'm looking at Wavetrac for LSD; and VSRF for chargepipe, downpipe, and inter cooler.

But I cant seem to put a finger on Oil Cooler?....is VK Moterwers pretty much the only game in town?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=jb4+OR+cobb

Red is JB4 and Yellow is Cobb, This chart hit it right on.
      11-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
Lux3m35i
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

From all the mods I have done, the LSD was the most exciting. How the car accelerate out of corners is just great, does a lot of fun even with stock engine!

FMIC is a must have if you want to hold your additional power you wanna make. Downpipes can be bit frustrating if they don't fit properly or if you need to change to stock every year because of technical controls.. but it adds a some hp/tq and makes a lovely sound which you don't wanna miss anymore once you driving it.

But I don't see any benefits on oil cooler and a chargepipe right now! You are driving a MT, which doesn't have a lot of heat problems.. I also have a MT and I'm driving on the Nürburgring without passing 130°Celcius (266°F). A 335i AT instead has to struggle with heat.. As long you don't want to use meth and with the boost you will run at that time you will probably don't need a chargepipe. Probably your DV will leak before your chargepipe blows. Well a blown chargepipe can happen due to a production failure.. but no need to buy things in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #16
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=jb4+OR+cobb

Red is JB4 and Yellow is Cobb, This chart hit it right on.
Alright, So I ordered the JB4 with DCIs
Thanks for the "nudge"!

Next in line are FMIC and LSD (sorry just knowing that this doesn't have an LSD makes me what were BMW thinking!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux3m35i View Post
From all the mods I have done, the LSD was the most exciting. How the car accelerate out of corners is just great, does a lot of fun even with stock engine!

FMIC is a must have if you want to hold your additional power you wanna make. Downpipes can be bit frustrating if they don't fit properly or if you need to change to stock every year because of technical controls.. but it adds a some hp/tq and makes a lovely sound which you don't wanna miss anymore once you driving it.

But I don't see any benefits on oil cooler and a chargepipe right now! You are driving a MT, which doesn't have a lot of heat problems.. I also have a MT and I'm driving on the Nürburgring without passing 130°Celcius (266°F). A 335i AT instead has to struggle with heat.. As long you don't want to use meth and with the boost you will run at that time you will probably don't need a chargepipe. Probably your DV will leak before your chargepipe blows. Well a blown chargepipe can happen due to a production failure.. but no need to buy things in advance.
You make an interesting point. I dont see myself doing more than an occasional track day; and dont see myself running meth. So I suppose I'll keep the oil cooler for later (*read -much later* but still would be nice to get a recommendation).

But what about Downpipes, as in if you know ones that will pass inspection w/o having to put the stocks back on? Would be great if people from NoVA could chime in?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Alright, So I ordered the JB4 with DCIs
Thanks for the "nudge"!

Next in line are FMIC and LSD (sorry just knowing that this doesn't have an LSD makes me what were BMW thinking!!)
FWIW, the $ you spent on the DCIs would have been better spent on a FMIC 1st but, if you're buying the BMS DCI, it won't cost you that much; currently just $95, I believe.

You'll notice a nice HP bump w/the JB4 alone and hardly any change w/the DCIs added, but you'll be able to install a stronger/better tune and get some more noticeable HP when you get/install the FMIC.

Buying/installing an LSD is very expensive and is of no use w/o better tires/suspension to make use of it. I'd recommend tires/suspension before LSD but, it's your $ and your car. So, do as you please. Once you install the LSD, I think you'll find out what I mean.

Good luck!

Last edited by SSW; 11-12-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #18
MMMCOOKIES55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP/ '16 ATS-V

Some good tires and track time You do live in VA
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Tune / FMIC / Intake / Downpipes / Charge Pipe is the order I prefer on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #20
JonathanRPicasso
Banned
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

jb4
intake
chargepipe
downpipe

all in That order
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #21
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMCOOKIES335... View Post
Some good tires and track time You do live in VA
Fairfax. I am leaning towards Michellin Super Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Tune / FMIC / Intake / Downpipes / Charge Pipe is the order I prefer on this platform.
Any recommendations for downpipes? In the sense ones that will pass emissions test?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #22
gzim335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2007/1 e90 335i  [2.00]
lsd is worth every penny,i promise you won't regret it,like other said get coilovers and sway bars than lsd n than eventually sfb on the rear totally transforms the car
Appreciate 0