E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > V2 problem due to dealership!

01-05-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

V2 problem due to dealership!

So I have having issues with my V2 lately, when crusing everything is fine, but jump on the gas and i would get limp mode. Shiv couldnt figure out the issue, the datalogs looked fine.

My garage is not very well lit so yesterday, I bought a flood light for it, and I decided to have a look under my hood. I found that my oil cap was left slightly open and that the engine was covered in motor oil. Needless to say I was pissed off. So i put some more motor oil in closed the cap, let the car warm up and then went for a spin. guess what...no issues.

what seems funny to me is that I had took it to the dealership before and they did ask if I have done any mods, I was getting a cylinder misfire code before and they said it was because I was redlineing my car...How can I do that with a step? How did they miss this? The SA even told me not to bring it back for this reason again because they may find it my fault and void part or all of my warrenty.

So Shiv, Thank you for your time bro. Im glad that this was the only issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Sounds like that dealership sucks major ass.

Take it somewhere else next time. Idiots!
      01-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

what a fucking retarded SA and dealership...........and I think it was about time that car companies implemented a simple sensor into their gas caps and their oil caps that triggers a warning light inside the car if either one of them is not closed all the way.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Yep, seen this before. It actually gives you an unmetered air leak through the crankcase ventilation system. In the dealers defense, I've seen one of my master techs do this before because the oil caps are kinda screwy.........of course we caught it before delivering it back to the customer though.
      01-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Glad to hear the problem is solved! It stumped me for a while. Good data point for sure. Just for future reference, did it throw the SES? If so, what was the code that was read by the C-Reader?

shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

So what was the mechanism for the code at the 3-4 shift? Just the extreme pressure causing the air leak?

Let us know what the SA says in regard to the loose oil cap.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

prob some sort of lean mixture
      01-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
So what was the mechanism for the code at the 3-4 shift? Just the extreme pressure causing the air leak?
In this case, the problem occurs during sustained boost where air literally leaks from the system. In the case of the 3-4th gear shift problem that was solved a couple weeks ago, the problem was caused by pressure spikes in the intercooler tube that occurred when the throttle closed.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
catdog
Banned
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
In this case, the problem occurs during sustained boost where air literally leaks from the system. In the case of the 3-4th gear shift problem that was solved a couple weeks ago, the problem was caused by pressure spikes in the intercooler tube that occurred when the throttle closed.

shiv
Shiv, i am curious how come in all your testing and beta tester program you did not uncover the 3-4th gear problem until just recently? Where did your testing fail to uncover this problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
Shiv, i am curious how come in all your testing and beta tester program you did not uncover the 3-4th gear problem until just recently? Where did your testing fail to uncover this problem?
It did not exist in any of the beta testers. I'm sure they will and have said the same thing. It was only cars with a certain Progman version that threw the code. Without any local cars throwing the code, I had to rely on non-local customers to provide me datalogs. Took me a week to figure out what channels to look at. And another 2-3 days to make the necessary adjustments to the map without sacrificing power. Dropping power above 6000rpm was always a solution, it was an undesirable. The option to going back to a fully stable v2.0.1 during this 10 day troubleshooting period was always there. But if everyone did that, i wouldn't have gotten the datalogs I needed to fix the problem. So... big thanks to many of our customers for helping us out during that time. It was frustrating for all of us.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #11
catdog
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It did not exist in any of the beta testers. I'm sure they will and have said the same thing. It was only cars with a certain Progman version that threw the code. Without any local cars throwing the code, I had to rely on non-local customers to provide me datalogs. Took me a week to figure out what channels to look at. And another 2-3 days to make the necessary adjustments to the map without sacrificing power. Dropping power above 6000rpm was always a solution, it was an undesirable. The option to going back to a fully stable v2.0.1 during this 10 day troubleshooting period was always there. But if everyone did that, i wouldn't have gotten the datalogs I needed to fix the problem. So... big thanks to many of our customers for helping us out during that time. It was frustrating for all of us.

shiv
So since it sounds like you need the datalogs from your customers to actually finalize the design, how can you feel confident that you are delivering a safe product at the outset?
I mean, if it were not for the BMW ECU safeguard mechanisms that actually throw the CEL and SES, basically your procede system has no way of protecting the engine, witness the boost spikes demonstrated on several dynos?
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So since it sounds like you need the datalogs from your customers to actually finalize the design, how can you feel confident that you are delivering a safe product at the outset?
I mean, if it were not for the BMW ECU safeguard mechanisms that actually throw the CEL and SES, basically your procede system has no way of protecting the engine, witness the boost spikes demonstrated on several dynos?
Thoughts?
Dude. You're wrong. Drop it. Please find more constructive ways to vent your feelings

shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
catdog
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Dude. You're wrong. Drop it. Please find more constructive ways to vent your feelings

shiv
Shiv, why are you getting defensive; could you please answer the simple question? I am a potential customer, and not a competitor, tell me how your solution is the superior one. I want to learn.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:

shiv

You seem so at ease now that you successfully got a competitor banned.
      01-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZPP ZSP TiAg MT

Quote:
Thoughts?
Quote:
Shiv, why are you getting defensive; could you please answer the simple question? I am a potential customer, and not a competitor, tell me how your solution is the superior one. I want to learn.

You're too transparent. Please stop trying create an issue where none exists.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
You seem so at ease now that you successfully got a competitor banned.
Wouldn't hurt for you to give it a rest for a couple of days either.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
catdog
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
You're too transparent. Please stop trying create an issue where none exists.
What do you mean? I am trying to get Shiv to answer an otherwise reasonable question that has to do with his product. I am a current user of JB2 and i want to know why going to procede would be better or safer, is that unreasonable?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean? I am trying to get Shiv to answer an otherwise reasonable question that has to do with his product. I am a current user of JB2 and i want to know why going to procede would be better or safer, is that unreasonable?
You're off topic and it appears you're trying to stir the pot. In any event, if you're really concerned, send Shiv a pm or email him at vishnutuning.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #19
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

LOL at the Terry lovers. Why even bother reply in this topic.Just to try to start shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #20
catdog
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdude View Post
You're off topic and it appears you're trying to stir the pot. In any event, if you're really concerned, send Shiv a pm or email him at vishnutuning.
Oh, OK, let's take this technical discussion off the forums, i mean someone my learn something.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #21
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone familiar with the KISS principle? Keep it simple, stupid...

The JB approach is simple, elegant and works, Terry should have charged a bit more for it. As far as i am concerned the procede approach is overengineered, it is akin to using a supercomputer to read email, a waste of money and equipment. At the end the BMW ecu is still doing the computational work, Shiv is just guessing at how to mess with it and as witnessed by the slurry of crap codes it throws, he has not figured it all out even after months of testing. Why after 6 months of dangling all of us about promises of great power did the first versions of v2 cause CEL in 3rd gear? etc. Never had any of this happen to my car with the JB2 on it... Think people and please free Terry...What country are we in again?

The Chaste Imperial Kingdom of Procedistan
Let it go and get a life.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #22
lawdude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh, OK, let's take this technical discussion off the forums, i mean someone my learn something.
Start your own thread. See how long it takes for your technical discussion to turn into a bash-fest. I give it two posts tops.
Appreciate 0