E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modifying Exhaust Valve?

11-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
aw555
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i M sport 6MT

Modifying Exhaust Valve?

Hey guys,

I have an '07 E92 335i with the exhaust valve on the drivers side pipe of the muffler. I was thinking today, is there any way to mod the flapper to work with the touch of a button? Instead of the computer opening it under load? I was only curious because I would like to remove the resonator in my exhaust and I feel like that would drone considerably, so I'd like to have some control over the drone. So if anyone has ever tried this/has some insight, let me know!

Alex
De-badged, Black window trim, 35% tint all around, black kidneys, LED side-markers, M3 Side Skirts, Lip spoiler, M-Tech front lip, LED Angel Eye Bulbs, Clutch delay valve delete, K&N Drop in filter, Golf Tee Mod, BMS DCI, Custom Bren Tuning modified stage 1 map
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Unplug the connector in the trunk, search for the DIY. Plug the vacuum line (Golf tee mod), or the JB4 has a function you can select to automatically open the flapper each startup, regardless of RPM.
      11-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
aw555
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Unplug the connector in the trunk, search for the DIY. Plug the vacuum line (Golf tee mod), or the JB4 has a function you can select to automatically open the flapper each startup, regardless of RPM.
Thank you for the input. However, I want to change it on command. So let's say I'm pulling up to my driveway late at night I'd like to just press a button and the valve will close. Right now I have it unplugged and I love the sound, just too quiet for my liking! Like I said, I plan on removing the resonator and adding an X-pipe and eventually downpipes. I know the flap in the muffler won't do too much but a nice feature.
De-badged, Black window trim, 35% tint all around, black kidneys, LED side-markers, M3 Side Skirts, Lip spoiler, M-Tech front lip, LED Angel Eye Bulbs, Clutch delay valve delete, K&N Drop in filter, Golf Tee Mod, BMS DCI, Custom Bren Tuning modified stage 1 map
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
MadToy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 340i Xdrive

The JB4 is as close to what you want as it gets. Takes 3 seconds to open or close it via steering wheel controls.
      11-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
aw555
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
The JB4 is as close to what you want as it gets. Takes 3 seconds to open or close it via steering wheel controls.
Go figure I'm running cobb!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I think I remember an actual product doing just this, posted here a couple years ago. It was a button that turned the flapper open or closed. The poster was ridiculed due to the cost of the product, I think like $200 bucks or so, since the money is better spent elsewhere.
      11-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
aw555
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
I think I remember an actual product doing just this, posted here a couple years ago. It was a button that turned the flapper open or closed. The poster was ridiculed due to the cost of the product, I think like $200 bucks or so, since the money is better spent elsewhere.
Really? Wonder if I can get a used one cheap or can make one? Let me know if you can recall the name.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw555 View Post
Thank you for the input. However, I want to change it on command. So let's say I'm pulling up to my driveway late at night I'd like to just press a button and the valve will close. Right now I have it unplugged and I love the sound, just too quiet for my liking! Like I said, I plan on removing the resonator and adding an X-pipe and eventually downpipes. I know the flap in the muffler won't do too much but a nice feature.
I see that you have a MT, so I'm not sure but for AT, I think the flapper opens up after 2.5k rpm? (something of that sort, I don't remember exactly).

So if you have it plugged in, it should be closed unless you're going at it over 2.5k rpm, which you shouldn't have to going in/out of the driveway, at least in my experience.

If you're so worried about noise, then just leave it plugged in. No point in having a switch to turn it off and on since it's barely noticeable anyways.
      11-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #9
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

You could make things interesting and run an electric cutout along the line somewhere, I'm not being realistic I don't think, but it would be loud as hell if it were before the secondary cats with catless DPs
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #10
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

http://www.exhaustmeister.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #11
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

just tap a switch in series of the wire that goes to the valve control solenoid in the trunk
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
As FCorbra94 noted above, you can install an Exhaustmeister in your 2007 E92, which you can find HERE.

It was one of my 1st mods and I love it. Got a lot of sh*t about it in THIS THREAD that I posted about the install from guys who think it's a waste of $ because you can just put a plug in the tube (golf tee mod) or just disconnect the vacuum switch plug. But, those fixes can (but not always) result in a visible CEL (although there are probably still shadow codes being recorded) and aren't as convenient as just pushing a button to get the job done.

The ExhaustMeister comes w/a little remote that will allow you to open and close the exhaust flap w/a push of a button but I programmed it in my E90 so that I can use 2 of the 3 buttons on the mirror to do that instead. I seldom bother to close the flap (even when driving long distances) because the noise doesn't bother me BUT it's easy enough to do once you've programmed the mirror buttons, if that's what you want to do. I just push the buttons occasionally to make sure they're still working.

Installation in my 335i E90 was a bit of a PITA because I had to buy some interior panel removal tools to get the interior edge guard off (which was stuck tight) before I could get to the vacuum switch plug (where the Exhaustmeister is installed) and had to by some new plastic pop rivets to replace the ones that I broke in the process. However, I don't believe that the E92s have the same interior panels and that it's much easier to access the vacuum switch in the E92 as a result.

Good luck!

Last edited by SSW; 11-06-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
aw555
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post
As FCorbra94 noted above, you can install an Exhaustmeister in your 2007 E92, which you can find HERE.

It was one of my 1st mods and I love it. Got a lot of sh*t about it in THIS THREAD that I posted about the install from guys who think it's a waste of $ because you can just put a plug in the tube (golf tee mod) or just disconnect the vacuum switch plug. But, those fixes can (but not always) results in a visible CEL (although there are probably still shadow codes being recorded) and aren't as convenient as just pushing a button to get the job done.

The ExhaustMeister comes w/a little remote that will allow you to open and close the exhaust flap w/a push of a button but I programmed it in my E90 so that I can use 2 of the 3 buttons on the mirror to do that instead. I seldom bother to close the flap (even when driving long distances) because the noise doesn't bother me BUT it's easy enough to do once you've programmed the mirror buttons, if that's what you want to do. I just push the buttons occasionally to make sure they're still working.

Installation in my 335i E90 was a bit of a PITA because I had to buy some interior panel removal tools to get the interior edge guard off (which was stuck tight) before I could get to the vacuum switch plug (where the Exhaustmeister is installed) and had to by some new plastic pop rivets to replace the ones that I broke in the process. However, I don't believe that the E92s have the same interior panels and that it's much easier to access the vacuum switch in the E92 as a result.

Good luck!
This was EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you!!

Do you happen to have any sound clips with the valve opening and closing?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #14
aw555
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

It was one of my 1st mods and I love it. Got a lot of sh*t about it in THIS THREAD that I posted about the install from guys who think it's a waste of $ because you can just put a plug in the tube (golf tee mod) or just disconnect the vacuum switch plug. But, those fixes can (but not always) results in a visible CEL (although there are probably still shadow codes being recorded) and aren't as convenient as just pushing a button to get the job done.

Good luck!
I spoke too soon, just saw your thread has a video. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw555 View Post
This was EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you!!
You're welcome! Enjoy!!!!
      11-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #16
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
I made a thread about doing this a couple years back.

You could use parts from radioshack and do it for less than a case of beer probably.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
You could use parts from radioshack and do it for less than a case of beer probably.
Guys here on E90Post are really funny.

They'll pay $2-3k for new wheels and tires or about $1k in paint and parts to put on a new M bumper or $5k for a Big Brake Kit or $3-4k for suspension parts BUT when it comes to the exhaust flap, they don't want to pay more than a few cents for a golf tee or clamp to close off the vacuum tube or nothing at all to disconnect the vacuum tube switch connector, which is real tacky and cheap ass way of dealing w/the problem.

Now you're saying that it's better to go to RS and buy some parts for $10-12 bucks and rig up an electronic switch of some kind to do it yourself? Of course, that begs the question of whether anyone else has sufficient knowledge to to it themselves. I, for one, do not know how to rig up such a device and I don't think most other guys here do either.

BUT, even if I had the information, I personally wouldn't want to spend the time to do it. Why bother when I can just buy a device that's already been built and just install it?

The guy who designed the Exhaustmeister knew what to do and how to do it AND is charging only $109 ($119 for later models) for benefit of that knowledge; that's called free enterprise. The cost of the device is NOTHING compared to what you'd have to pay for a variety of other mods on a 335i. In fact, that's about what BMW charges for a new OEM automatic shift knob or what you'd have to pay for a pair of WeatherTech floor mats.

So, forget about it!

Some of us would rather just buy a properly built part for a reasonable price, which does what it's supposed to do in a simple and elegant manner. I did and I don't regret it and I don't think the OP, AW55, will either.

Last edited by SSW; 11-07-2014 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Guy's here on E90Post are really funny.

They'll pay $2-3k for new wheels and tires or about $1k in paint and parts to put on a new M bumper or $5k for a Big Brake Kit or $3-4k for suspension parts BUT when it comes to the exhaust flap, they don't want to pay more than a few cents for a golf tee or clamp to close off the vacuum tube or nothing at all to disconnect the vacuum tube switch connector, which is real tacky and cheap ass way of dealing w/the problem.

Now you're saying that it's better to go to RS and buy some parts for $10-12 bucks and rig up an electronic switch of some kind to do it yourself? Of course, that begs the question of whether anyone else has sufficient knowledge to to it themselves. I, for one, do not know how to rig up such a device and I don't think most other guys here do either.

BUT, even if I had the information, I personally wouldn't want to spend the time to do it. Why bother when I can just buy a device that's already been built and just install it?

The guy who designed the Exhaustmeister knew what to do and how to do it AND is charging only $109 ($119 for later models) for benefit of that knowledge; that's called free enterprise. The cost of the device is NOTHING compared to what you'd have to pay for a variety of other mods on a 335i. In fact, that's about what BMW charges for a new OEM automatic shift knob or what you'd have to pay for a pair of WeatherTech floor mats.

So, forget about it!

Some of us would rather just buy a properly built part for a reasonable price, which does what it's supposed to do in a simple and elegant manner. I did and I don't regret it and I don't think the OP, AW55, will either.
Wait, you mean everyone on E90post isn't an electronics engineer?

I got a similar product on my vette, it's great. On the BMW it's not that much different in sound, there is a difference but not by a considerable amount. I personally just plugged the line and called it a day.

On the vette it actually has a straight pipe through 2 tips that have the butterfly valve, so when it's open it's a straight pipe. When you close it it runs through just outer tips which go through the mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Guys here on E90Post are really funny.

So, forget about it!

You seem to type pretty long and emotional replies anytime exhaustmeister comes up. I'm not sure what you have to gain or if you're involved with the product, but I rigged up my idea before I knew exhaustmeister existed.

Just offering a very simple and easy alternative. I know nothing about electronics and after reading online I realized all you need to do is go buy a switch for a couple bucks and wire it in and you have a 3 dollar exhaustmeister.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #20
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
You seem to type pretty long and emotional replies anytime exhaustmeister comes up. I'm not sure what you have to gain or if you're involved with the product, but I rigged up my idea before I knew exhaustmeister existed.

Just offering a very simple and easy alternative. I know nothing about electronics and after reading online I realized all you need to do is go buy a switch for a couple bucks and wire it in and you have a 3 dollar exhaustmeister.
I have no financial interest in Exhaustmeister. I bought and recommend it because it works and doesn't cost all that much compared to other mods.

You've posted twice to say you've got a cheaper DIY option BUT I have yet to see the thread or schematics. If you want to do something other than just yank my chain on this topic and actually want to be useful to others, you should re-post the info (or a link to the info) about your $3 DIY device so that those who are interested can actually build it.

Ciao!

Last edited by SSW; 11-08-2014 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #21
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
I have no financial interest in Exhaustmeister. I bought and recommend it because it works and doesn't cost all that much compared to other mods.

You've posted twice to say you've got a cheaper DIY option BUT I have yet to see the thread or schematics. If you want to do something other than just yank my chain on this topic and actually want to be useful to others, you should re-post the info (or a link to the info) about your $3 DIY device so that those who are interested can actually build it.

Ciao!
I'd like to see this cheaper solution as well...if the switch was inside the cabin somewhere, I'd be all for it as well
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #22
TylerC
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi sedan

I always thought it would be cool to have a three way switch. One leaves it open (basically disconnect the current going to it so it's always open) one leaves it stock (closed on warmup open on accell etc) and another always closed ( would assume 12v going to circuit)

Anyone know if it's activated by 12v? Suppose I should just go out there with a multimeter and start playing with it. A 3 way switch isn't a whole lot of cash, so it could be a cool mod.
Appreciate 0