THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Spacers installed on a budget

11-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Spacers installed on a budget

After going back and forth between 12mm & 15mm spacers I ordered a budget spacer kit from e-bay that consisted of (4) 15mm spacers and 20 42mm black wheel bolts. Installed them this weekend and here is the result. Quality was good, fit was perfect and shipping was fast. They actually arrived early. I put the axle end plugs in the spacer hole, no glue required. I am now thinking that 12mm around would have been the perfect ticket. I must comment.....bumping the wheels out further than stock increases the noise of flying road
Attached Images

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-21-2015 at 03:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Of all the things you can save money on, you decide to go "budget" on something like spacers?

Wow.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Yea to me that is a budgetable item.....they are sandwhiched between the wheels n rotors covered in brake dust all of their life. really hard to fuck up a hubcentric chunk of aluminum.....

next are ceramic pads, drilled and slotted rotors when they become available
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Whoever told you that spacers are just a hunk of metal are wrong. Spacers are NOT a budgetable item and actually, it's incredibly easy to f*** up a hubcentric spacer. More importantly, the lug bolts have to be made perfectly and OEM spec or better, which is where most of cheaper kits fail since the load on the hub is so much greater.

Turner, Macht Schnell, Eibach, and H&R are the only respectable kits on the market that I've seen. I've seen several cheap sets fail at the hub and at the lugs. Don't cheap out on stuff for your nice, new car. You'll regret it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsev View Post
Whoever told you that spacers are just a hunk of metal are wrong. Spacers are NOT a budgetable item and actually, it's incredibly easy to f*** up a hubcentric spacer. More importantly, the lug bolts have to be made perfectly and OEM spec or better, which is where most of cheaper kits fail since the load on the hub is so much greater.

Turner, Macht Schnell, Eibach, and H&R are the only respectable kits on the market that I've seen. I've seen several cheap sets fail at the hub and at the lugs. Don't cheap out on stuff for your nice, new car. You'll regret it.
what do you think about the BMS spacers ?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
what do you think about the BMS spacers ?
At a track day this summer, one of my friends snapped a BMS Spacer and 4 bolts on his 335i. Car was stock and the spacers were brand new, torqued to factory specs. He pitched them and got Turner's with no issues. I ran Turners on my track car for years with no hiccups.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Definitely not a spot you want to cheap out on. Specially over what, maybe $70?

Current: 2015 Cayman S on HRE P101
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
Famous last words....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Yea to me that is a budgetable item.....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #9
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you,
You all have very valid points and proofed issues. I know with all manufactured parts/materials there is always a failure possibility especially the more complex the item. I fet that as simple it is to machine a hubcentric aluminum spacer and purchase hi-grade wheel bolts I didn’t see a need to spend 2 times the cost going with a Turmer/BMS/Schnell/etc level spacer.
Anyway I was unhappy with the change in handeling/steering installing the 15mm spacers at all 4 corners and the change in looks was not great enough for me to live with this so I have decided to go back to the factory configuration. I have been very happy with the way the car handles as is from the factory so will leave it as such.
Thank you for all your feedback and recommendations. I will take these into consideration for future purchases
Appreciate 0