E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Service Engine Soon after installing oil catch can and RBturbo pcv valve

11-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi LCI

Service Engine Soon after installing oil catch can and RBturbo pcv valve

I just put everything back together after installing the RB Turbo aftermarket PCV valve (and cap) as well as a BMS oil catch can.

Install went fairly smooth. Had to remove part of the fuel rail to get at the valve but it all went back together without a hitch.

Car started and ran, except now I have the orange Service Engine Soon in my DIC. It was not there before. There are no major errors being thrown, Check Control is all OK.

Any ideas?? Could it be because pressure is now different with a new (and hopefully working better) pcv valve? I didnt unplug any sensors during the install, tho I did unclip them and then put them back; could one of them come loose and cause a SES error? Is it safe to drive as normal?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep

I should add that last week I brought it in for the last service under CPO, in which case I got the intake valves walnut blasted, 6 new injectors (again) and 6 new plugs. This is why I wanted to install the new pcv valve and occ, I wanted to stop as much oil from being blown back into my nice clean intake as I could.

Even if it doesnt make as much difference as it does in my mind, I still wanted to try it. I also cant tell if it's in my head or not but driving the car today after putting it all back together, it felt like, I dunno, it was making less power? Could the SES issue be affecting how much boost is being made perhaps??
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
adioman6000
Rep
Drives: 335xi

codes...?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #4
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep

I knew that was coming. I don't have any code reader so I'll have to call the dealer about bringing it back in. Since my CPO expired last week, I'll tell him the warning light just came on and that it might be related to the previous visit (so a checkup should be covered as it wont be logged as a brand new post-cpo problem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adioman6000 View Post
codes...?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

You really need codes, too many possibilities here. Pcv valve would not cause any codes.
      11-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep

Ok so someone mentioned "check the gas cap" to me. Didnt even cross my mind, but I opened and re-seated the gas cap, and the warning light went away!

However, since I couldnt be sure that was it without knowing the codes, I took it to the dealer and they said the light came on because of ignition coil errors. So they gave me 6 new coils and 6 new plugs and sent me on my way.

BTW that didnt stop the cold-start misfirings that happen between 600-1000 rpms. Doesnt seem to be anything to get ride of those
Appreciate 0